News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

PlayTrans's Challenge - Electric Rail Company

Started by PlayTrans2009, September 07, 2009, 05:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayTrans2009

I'm change the challenge, don't need save game.

In Mar 2000, you created a company called "Electric Rail Company". You only carry passengers and cargo only in your company.

Your goal is to make four successful cargo electric train services and two successful passengers electric train service.

Rules:
1) Don't add players. They can use bus service instead of rail.
2) You can go bankrupt. (Yes, you can do whatever you like).
3) ONLY ELECTRIC RAIL!
4) Only pak64, pak128.Britain or pak96.comic.
5) You can make some passengers or cargo lines.
6) Use only one or two addons. Give me the file if you are using it.
7) FOLLOW THE CHALLENGE ABOVE! DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Use screenshots please. When deadline end (be announced), give me your save file.

I'm using pak96.comic and pak128.Britain. Mostly pak96.comic.
"More money means lesser friendship." Reason: Selfish.

Maragil

there's not much point in using:

Quote from: PlayTrans2009 on September 07, 2009, 05:42:46 AM
SimuTrans Experimental 6.6

As Pak64 does not have an experimental branch in that time period. - There is Pak64.19thCentury.Experimental.
Also- not everyone likes/knows how to use Simutrans Experimental - go for standard.

Quote from: PlayTrans2009 on September 07, 2009, 05:42:46 AM
The save file is from pak64 WITHOUT addons Windows.
pak64 without addons can be rather limited. If you go for Exp. - Pak128.Britain.Experimental OR Pak192.Comic.Experimental. However, standard would be better - then use Pak128 (All previous challenges have been done with that)
Simutrans is the same on any OS: Linux :) , Mac :| or Windows :(

H./

Anime

VS

* VS thinks flamebaiting is nasty. This policeman smiles... yet. :police:

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

PlayTrans2009

So, are you taking the challenge?  :)

EDIT: I try on normal but it has a fatal error. Oh well, sorry. Using the Experimental is the same as the normal one BTW.

Lodovico

I tried to use stable 102 and I got:
Calculating textures ...FATAL ERROR: planquadrat_t::rdwr()
Error while loading game: Unknown ground type '0'

I am not able to try an Experimental eihter, translated binary gives me a Segmentation fault.

What about to take a Stable 102 and create the task there?
I would be very grateful to have a challenge for pak64. Thanks.

PlayTrans2009

Fabio

Maragil

H./

PlayTrans2009

Sure. No can do...  :-[

Ok, I'm reuploading. If you have bugs on it, tell me.

I changed the challenge!

PlayTrans2009

Severous

This challenge is still open :-) and allows a short small game.

Pak64. No Addons. Played on a random small map without tourist attractions, a few cities. At game start roads were already built but I have not used them.

As required I built 2 Passenger routes and 4 cargo routes - using only Electric Trains.  No other vehicles.

Here are the two passenger lines. There is one train on each route.

Passenger1: A loop calling at 11 locations (Marked 1 to 11). It does not stop at cities B+C forcing passengers to change to high speed at '1+A'
Passenger2: is a High Speed line connecting the three biggest Cities.(Marked A to C)

The high speed train waits for a 70% load at station '1+A' which usually means it waits for the other train to arrive at station 1.  Passengers then transfer to the high speed train and both trains set off together on their separate tracks.  The slower train on the loop is a BR185 with faster acceleration. Despite starting a fraction later and turning a curve soon overtakes the higher speed Class86.  The Class86 has a higher top speed so will regain the lead later.

I had tried a faster train on the high speed line but it was not profitable. I changed the train and coaches. These slower passenger carriages take more passengers and have a lower maintenance cost. I used a slower/lower cost locomotive as the coach sets the speed limit for the high speed service (160km).  It only took a few trips to turn the loss making high speed route into the now successful route required by the challenge objective.
Regards
Sev.

Severous

Here is one of the four cargo routes.

Wood+Paper

The three trains, each of 15 wagons (10xPaper,5xWood) are profitable.

Because of the low capacity paper wagons they never oversupply the printing works. 

I may need to add more wagons..up to 12 tile long stations maybe necessary. (8 tiles at the moment)

The stopping pattern is: Forest>Forest>Forest>Print Works>Paper Mill. (1>2>3>4>5 on the screenshot)
This means all wagons travel 100% loaded for about 85% of the route. This ensures profitability of the normally unprofitable paper trains.

Regards
Sev.

Severous

Another of the four cargo routes.

Fuel Oil + Books

Currently 4 trains with mixed consists of Oil Tankers and Goods wagons. 

This route is a large clockwise loop.
- Oil from several locations delivered to the Oil power station (1).
- Profits fluctuate depending upon whether the power station is over supplied or not and where the oil is collected from.
- Books are picked up at the Printing works (previous screen shot, and point 2 on this screens map)
- Three book shops at two locations marked 3.
- I may add a power line to the second book shop shown in this shot. Depends if I can keep it supplied. Supply arriving right now. :-) 

Regards
Sev.

Severous

The third cargo route.

Oil for Chemical plant+Refinery

It runs the same clockwise loop as the route above. Currently 1 train only as the previous 3 trains had over supplied both destinations with 6000+ extra oil.

The two other trains were sold and this one has had a lean time for the past few months.  But both destinations are again demanding supplies so the oil is gushing.  About to deliver and earn from the longest leg of the looping journey. This will return the route to profit this month and there is more oil nearby awaiting pick up.

Note: The Chemical plant and Printing works are both within the area of this station.  No transport is needed to move the Ink between factories.  The Chemical plant has no contract for its Chemicals :-[
Regards
Sev.

Severous

Final Cargo route

Oil for Refinery+Gas

Oil Rig(1) > Refinery (2) > Gas (3).

BUT..it uses a clockwise loop which means a very long journey around 95% of the loop usually fully loaded.  Here its about to arrive with a full load of Oil at the refinery and will pick up a full load of Gas for the nearby gas station but will go around the loop rather than go the short anti clockwise direction.

Ive had 4 trains on this route but over supply often shuts down the Gas station causing oversupply to the Refinery shutting down its demand for oil.  In those situations the train sits loading at the oil rig stop for months waiting for demand+supply to restart.

Regards
Sev.