News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Additional road signs

Started by JT, February 01, 2011, 12:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT

I'd like to request a feature to restrict a road from vehicles that go FASTER than a certain speed -- rather than a min_speed setting, a max_speed setting. If a vehicle goes faster than this speed, it cannot pathfind through this road and must find another route. For instance, if you want to build a very low speed road in a town, high speed vehicles may still pathfind through that road, causing unnecessary slowdowns on their part. Or, if you want to produce a traffic controlled area with pedicabs, motorcycle couriers, foot traffic (!), and bicycles as the only legal traffic for atmospheric purposes, you'll want to restrict it from vehicles like buses, cars, and trucks.

The other feature I'd like is to be able to restrict roads based on good type. The DAT interface for the roadsigns would be to add in an array of restrictions on the roadsign, such as making a road that forbids any mail cars or passenger vehicles and allows trucks only:

obj=roadsign
name=FreightOnly
restricted_good[0] = Post
restricted_good[1] = Passagiere
is_private=1

This could also be in reverse, as an allowance list rather than a restriction list -- if specified in this fashion, then all cargo can be forbidden from a road to make it public only (see also http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=6515.0):

obj=roadsign
name=PublicOnly
allowed_good[0] = None

or the road could only admit certain types of cargo:

obj=roadsign
name=BusLane
allowed_good[0] = Passagiere
is_private=1

The source code implementation of any of these is way out of my league. ;-)

prissi

If you make your road really slow the pathfinder in current nightlies will not route fast raffic through. But there was a bug only discovered a mointh ago, so test this with a recent nightly.