News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Scenario TramMadness impossible to win?

Started by Aquin, September 16, 2013, 07:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquin

I tried to win the scenario TramMadness several times now, but everytime maintenance costs are driving me bankrupt way to early.
If I remove all streets that are not close to any town, and replace all (but the three stops Ripon, Top and Cambridge) I can get down to something slightly above 4000/month. By the end of 2006 I go bankrupt. When I continue on freeplay I may see the first operational profit in 2012 or so, but the netwealth is at -100.000 or worse by then.

Sarlock

I just played it to test it out, won in 2002.  It's pretty straightforward once you get the mechanics down.  Remember the goal is to get a house in range of the TOP station, not make a profit.

I removed all of the roads except the ones connecting the two goal cities (since the roads are player owned and are costly to maintain).

Next I removed several extra tram lines (all the double track sections) and removed all tram vehicles except two.  I set those to service the eastern and western stops respectively.

This reduced monthly cost to $4,000/month and the sale of the tram vehicles boosted me to about $140,000.

Now I just run in fast forward and watch Cambridge and Ripon carefully.  You want these cities to grow up the single road you left to the top of the hill.  Every time the city builds a road going in a different direction, immediately remove it.  You want all new city buildings to be built up the hill towards the TOP.

Eventually a building will reach the coverage zone of the station on top and you win the game.

I was lucky getting it as early as 2002 as Cambridge moved straight up the hill but it should be pretty easy to attain most of the time.  Trams were running 50-75% full most of the time and were profiting about $500-$1,000/month, making monthly cash flow about -$3,000/month.  More than enough time to get Cambridge or Ripon to grow up the hill.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics