News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

No bulldozing of reserved tracks

Started by Fabio, January 05, 2009, 06:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

A reserved track shouldn't be able to be cut/bulldozed.
This would force the player to put a track block sign or an alternative route for the working site.
And this would prevent a lot of problems with trains/trams getting stuck because they enter a construction site.
If you try to bulldoze a reserved track, a window should be displayed, alerting the player that "This operation cannot be done because a train reserved this track".

emaxectranspoorte

Yes, speaking of a realistic sense.

What about if that track absolutely needs to be buldozed to make way for a road, and also replacing it by a railway bridge? :-\

Fabio

well, there are signals to block a track (and they also "break" the reservation).
the idea is that replacing a piece of track  with, say, a bridge, without such a block sign, could end up with a train passing and being stuck on the bridge slope. this way you can't place the bridge and you are forced to manually re-schedule the train to free your slope and place the bridge. this is too much micromanagement for my taste.

emaxectranspoorte

True in most cases.

Allright, sorry fabio.

??? EDIT: I sometimes could place bridges even if train got stuck, near the end of a track...

wipi35

What about doing such reconstructions when the game is "paused"

emaxectranspoorte

prissi

If you bulldoze a reserved tile, the train will only get stuck, when there is no alternative route. It could be also changed in such a way, that the train stops and start route search. However this would give an immediate "no route" message, which did annoy other player. Forbidding construction is not good, since I have to manually stop the train, since those forbidden to do windows are most annoying to game play.

isidoro

What I do is waiting for the first train  to come and open its schedule window.  It stops, blocks the rail and I can build in peace.

emaxectranspoorte

Peyo

Quote from: isidoro on January 06, 2009, 04:51:28 AM
What I do is waiting for the first train  to come and open its schedule window.  It stops, blocks the rail and I can build in peace.

I've tried it a couple of times and I think this really is a good idea. :)

prissi

What is the first train? The train that has reserved that tile, I presume? But if this tile was not reserved and I destroy it, trains will get stuck again. I fail to see the advantage.

isidoro

I use the first train or one carefully chosen to make it stop by opening the schedule window so that it blocks all traffic in the zone while I do reconstruction work.