News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Display of buildingnames.

Started by wipi35, September 01, 2008, 11:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wipi35

In pak128 the names of the citybuildings are pretty meaningless, such as RES_88_11 or COM_00_01. So with the citybuilder it is rather cumbersome to select the appropriate building when you want a controlled expansion of a city.
But if you could display the name of an already existing building with the inspection tool, you could easily find the same in the citybuilder-window. I looked for a possibility to display the buildingnames in the config-files but couldn't find it.  ???

Magpie

What language do you use? Maybe it is need to translate the texts to show some understable names. In the English version there are two tabs in citybuilding builder, first show the the understable translated text ( some name of the building), and second the internal name such a RES_88_11 or COM_00_01.

wipi35

Quote from: RanDrag on September 01, 2008, 06:22:44 PM
What language do you use?
I use Dutch. But I will look what happens if I set language=English.

wipi35

With language=English you can see the object names and the descriptions in the citybuilders window. BTW, these are often very funny!
However with the inspection tool you only see the description. As in the citybuilder window the descriptions are not sorted alphabetically (the object names are) it is nearly impossible to find the same building. So if I could display the objectnames with the inspectiontool, my problem would be solved.

Magpie

Quote from: wipi35 on September 03, 2008, 05:38:16 PM
So if I could display the objectnames with the inspectiontool, my problem would be solved.
It is a good idea, that would solve the problem.

Zeno

What about a copy or move building button in the map editor toolbar (like the move_stop one)? I like sometimes to build an avenue in the middle of a city/town without destroying it entirely, so I would like then to move some buildings to a near square to make a double street (two paralel roads) through the city. Then I'd love a tool like that, so I won't need to look for each building and build it there. Well, just an idea :)

I've just thought it while trying to move some buildings in a city to build an avenue; then I remembered this discussion and I post this here because I think it's around the same idea.