News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Loading time?

Started by AP, December 06, 2016, 02:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Simple question - how is Loading Time (LT) defined?

I'm trying to understand how to optimise timetabling on routes, but the 'extra' time taken at termini needs allowing for, not just the time en-route, or it all goes askew.

I can see from the below thread that Reversing Time (RT) occurs concurrently LT.
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14502.0

RT is defined by the type of motive power in use. This leads me to wonder if LT is defined by the type of freight wagons, volume of freight waiting at the station, length of train (i.e no of wagons to be handled), or is just a flat per train value?

Clearly the more realism there is, the more slack needs to be built into a timetable to accomodate a theoretical max time at the terminus.

To aid scheduling, unless it's hiding somewhere else, can I recommend the convoy specific RT and LT (or max LT if it varies) values of each train be added to each convoy under "Details", alongside power, tractive force, odometer, etc.

jamespetts

Loading time has a minimum and a maximum value for each carrying vehicle in a convoy. The more that is loaded onto the vehicle, the greater the loading time within that range. An overcrowded vehicle has an even higher loading time (i.e., above the stated range), and the loading time increases at a faster rate when overcrowding.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

In which case, there are really just two bits of info which both need to make transparently collated and published by the game interface:

• Max loading time at an intermediate station
  • Max loading and reversing time at a terminal station
I suggest these should ideally be published in the Details field on a per-convoy basis, AND  somewhere in the Line dialogue on a per-line basis (taking into account the greatest value of any convoy currently assigned to the line, in respect of both 1, and 2 ).

The latter would greatly assist in timetabling, a feature I suspect people will want to make more use of going forward, e.g. in line with my other thread here.

jamespetts

That might be worthwhile looking into at some point when I have made some serious progress on the mounting queue of other things that I have to do. This is an ideal project, incidentally, for anyone who wants to start out learning how to modify Simutrans-Experimental.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.