News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Screenshots are free software too, right?

Started by Kozuch, February 06, 2009, 12:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kozuch

vilvoh

I also had some licence problems with this issue when the project was freeware, but that it's open source I think there's not problem. see these quotes from wikimedia:
QuoteScreenshots of software that is itself not under a free license. Screenshots of software under the GPL or a similar free software license are generally considered to be OK.
QuoteComputer screenshots are subject to the copyright of the displayed program.[1] Thus, screenshots must not be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons unless all software and data shown in them are under some free license.
QuoteA screenshot may be published under a free license only if all the graphics shown have a free license. If, for example, all of them are in the public domain, then the screenshot is too, because there is no creative work in creating a screenshot. If a screenshot contains icons or content of non-free sites, it is not free

The whole game is under AL, which is GPL compliance, therefore I think you can upload them without any problem. You've more info about wikimedia, screenshots and licenses here.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Kozuch

Are there any good savegames or scenarios I can use for thaking the screenshot? I could take it from the web, but I do not know since when the game is free software.

VS

IMHO screenshots should fall under fair use, but who knows. Anyway, with Simutrans you will not get into problems. :)

Savegames, scenarios... you could try to dig in old forum backup, or search for Seth (Triggs) - he used to post really great saves. You may need older versions for that, though...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

As I understand it, now the game is OS, all content shown in screenshots is supposed to be OS. Therefore, almost any screenshot from Simutrans is free, unless it includes extra addons with copyright, which is extremly rare.

Quote from: VS on February 06, 2009, 12:45:52 PM
IMHO screenshots should fall under fair use, but who knows. Anyway, with Simutrans you will not get into problems. :)

As I see it, Actually the problem is not from Simutrans side, is from wikimedia's licensing process. It's very confusing :-\

You can get a lot of savegames from archive.forum.simutrans.com

whoami

Note: the pak sets have their own licenses. Currently, pak64 (the standard pak set) would be valid for a screenshot as wanted here, but e.g. pak128 isn't completely freeware yet.

isidoro

I'm not a lawyer and all this stuff gives me some headache, but I wouldn't call a screenshot "software".  Can it be executed in a computer?  Certainly not.

If I make a painting with Photoshop, is the resulting painting under the license of Photoshop?

If we all, human beings, are to be kept sane in the future, all this empty talk about copyrights are to be simplified a great deal.  Understand me, I'm talking in general, not about ST.

vilvoh

Completly agree with isidoro, but I said, that's not a matter of Simutrans. Blame wikimedia and it's absolutly caothic license system. That was the main reason why I didn't put any screenshot in wikipedia entry. Seems you need a law degree to upload a simple screenshot. It's a torture