News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Figure-of-8 routes

Started by AP, December 01, 2009, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi all

Here's a question.

If I've got a city in which I've set up a route which follows a figure of eight - (ie is shaped like the character "8") - where the terrain makes the route cross over itself at high level - is there any way to build a station over the junction, with a high level and low level platform, and make people interchange?

I mean, they can ride all the way around the 8 and eventually get to their destination without changing, but it's not the shortest route (though it involves fewest changes), so presumably is quite uneconomic.

The route I have in question is an urban tram route, so it's single track and one-direction only, hence it's caused me to ponder this question.

I mean, as far as I am aware, simutrans people always choose the route with fewest changes... don't they?

VS

You can build stations that span multiple heights. Build it on and under bridge; or underground part in tunnel. Everything is possible.

(I'm always a bit amazed why people ask and don't just try it themselves when they have the game!)

I think passengers won't choose only the shorter part of route though...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

AP

Oh, I know I can physically build it... I should have been clearer - I want to know if I there is a clever way I can make people use it though (otherwise it's just costing me money to look pretty!)

VS

Ahhhh, sorry, now I get what you mean - if they switch to the same line going in other direction?

Then the answer is no.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Banksie_82

No, if you are playing ST-Standard, they will always chose the least transfer option.

Yes, (depending on frequency of the trams) if you are playing ST-Experimantal, they will do it automatically.

AP

QuoteYes, (depending on frequency of the trams) if you are playing ST-Experimantal, they will do it automatically.

Aha. I'm just waiting for it to be a bit more balanced with pak-britain, and then I most certainly will be!