News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Bridgewater-Brunel no. 1 - Great Britain sized map

Started by jamespetts, December 01, 2017, 02:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ves

Hmm.. I still do get a "server did not respond" trying to connect via load savegame

jamespetts

Quote from: Ves on December 03, 2017, 10:44:16 PM
Hmm.. I still do get a "server did not respond" trying to connect via load savegame

This is because lots of people are trying to connect at present and the server is currently very slow at loading the saved games, which is a part of connecting.

Edit: Incidentally, Ves has just pushed a fix to the prices not being copied when convoys are copied in the depot window, which fix will be present in to-morrow's nightly version.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ves

Thanks, finally got in!

However, I experience desyncs quite fast. I have not had the possibility to mod my name and set a password, or so I think.

And gosh, it takes a long time to connect!

jamespetts

Quote from: Ves on December 03, 2017, 11:08:08 PM
Thanks, finally got in!

However, I experience desyncs quite fast. I have not had the possibility to mod my name and set a password, or so I think.

And gosh, it takes a long time to connect!

Thank you for connecting. I have not been able to reproduce the desyncs - I have been connected all the time that you have been trying to connect and disconnecting. Are you sure that you have the latest executable?

Incidentally, I am working on trying to optimise the loading time.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

I had compiled my own, but I might have gotten it wrong, also the small game that is hosted I got desyncs from, although not so heavy. Will give it more tries later in next week.

Wormer

Quote from: jamespetts on December 03, 2017, 10:36:23 PM
I have also identified and fixed the problem with industry distances to consumer - the fix will be available in to-morrow's nightly version. This raises an important question: would people like me to restart the map from scratch now with the correct industry distances before too much time is spent on this map? I note from the discussion above that the incorrect industry spacing has been causing serious balance issues; but I do not want to erase everyone's networks and start afresh without consulting those who have constructed those networks.

I'm ok with restarting with a fix tomorrow, while not much is done yet.

DrSuperGood

Since it desyncs with 8 threads when I tested it is possible that there are some race conditions requiring at least a quad core to work properly. Why number of threads influences results I am not sure, as properly written program behaviour should not change with number of threads. I also strongly support the restarting of the map as it is pointless trying to play something that is so broken.

jamespetts

Ves - I suggest that you try with the pre-compiled binary in case your own version is not fully convergent with the master version.

Wormer - thank you for your feedback, that is helpful.

Dr. Supergood - the problem is probably inconsistencies in the number of threads between client and server for certain tasks where the number of threads should be the same - but, yes, if you have your number of threads changed from the default, you may well get desyncs until this issue is fixed.

Edit: I have also optimised the loading time considerably, which optimisation will be present in to-morrow's nightly build (the server will restart with this new build in a few hours). I should be interested to see whether this reduces the loading time on the server noticeably.

DrSuperGood

Optimized loading time seems to have helped clients but the server still takes forever to resume. If there is no way to fix this it might be a good idea to use a slightly smaller map when restarting the map to fix the industry spawn bugs. Currently it is so long it greatly hampers playability.

I can confirm that copy convoy now does correctly copy convoy price settings.

Replace window no longer crashes but is extremely buggy. For example it will not recognize available cargo capacities (cannot change prices as a result) and will also show incorrect convoy running costs. Something must be wrong with the iterator it uses to check convoy assemblies and tally the stats.

I also occasionally see the long running doubly booked time slot bug. Occasionally convoys on the same line get assigned the same departure time slot meaning 2 convoys of that line will try to leave the stop at once even though they are meant to leave with regularly spaced intervals. In tightly run systems this can cause problems with service regularity as 1 convoy will be directly behind the other for an entire loop of the schedule.

Ves

I have just tried with the latest downloaded nightly executable and pakset, and I got disconnected from the server. It took a bit longer, so I actually managed to build something in the world.

btw, is the current game the old one or a new one?
As I barely made it anyway in the game, I have no complaints if you want to restart it.

fam621

When will the server be back open because I want to join. Also, I do recommend in using discord as I find that very convent.

DrSuperGood

I would not mind teaming up with anyone who wants to try out extended without committing to solo running a company. As long as you do not purposely ruin my company I do not mind sharing it with anyone.

fam621

Okay, what company is it called and if it has a password. Can you give me it via PM please.

DrSuperGood

QuoteOkay, what company is it called and if it has a password. Can you give me it via PM please.
Still waiting for the game to be reset with fixed industry distances.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I have not had time to restart the server this evening, as I have had a number of other things (including bug fixes) to deal with. I will hopefully be able to do it in the next day or two.

May I again ask that all bug reports be posted in their own thread (i.e., one thread per bug) in the Simutrans-Extended development forum? It really is fantastically difficult to keep track of bug reports otherwise. This thread should really be for the discussion of this particular server game, rather than general game issues.

jamespetts

I have now terminated this game and started a new one with very similar map settings, but with the industry spacing fixed, as discussed above.