News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Maximum framerate

Started by MirceaKitsune, September 24, 2017, 04:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MirceaKitsune

One of the things that's proving confusing to me is the configuration of the framerate. I want to get Simutrans working at 60fps for maximum smoothness, being the standard for all engines and the maximum refresh rate of most monitors. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any obvious way of doing so.

My confusion starts from the FPS option in the settings menu; The maximum value I'm allowed to type in is not 60, not even 30, but 25... which I find an oddly specific number.

Now I already read a short explanation on this somewhere else. I understand that the engine uses two different frame rates; One for the renderer, and one to update and redraw the world (moving sprites). I understand that as far as animation goes, the engine may be subject to limitations such as per-pixel movement... but there would still be benefits to the window drawing at 60fps, such as smoothness when moving the camera around and scrolling through the world.

Is or will there ever be a way to run Simutrans at 60fps? Or will 25fps always be a hard limit that can't be worked around?

Ters

Simutrans is an old game. It won't run like modern games just with a flick of a switch. That would require a major rewrite of the very core of the game. See http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17368.0

MirceaKitsune

Quote from: Ters on September 24, 2017, 05:01:01 PM
Simutrans is an old game. It won't run like modern games just with a flick of a switch. That would require a major rewrite of the very core of the game. See http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17368.0

I see. I imagine that's not the sort of thing one might expect to change then. Though I wonder what would happen if any FPS cap was simply lifted: Would functionality actually break, beyond the world ticking 2x faster or similar side effects?

Ters

My understanding from the other thread is that you can get more frames, but it won't appear much smoother. Until at one point stuff breaks down.