The International Simutrans Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Patches & Projects / Re: Priority signals
« Last post by ACarlotti on Today at 11:10:26 PM »
I see it as a variant on the presignal that will clear and permit a train to pass even if the next signal can't be cleared. So perhaps something like "permissive presignal"? Although "permissive" might be the wrong choice of word since it conveys the real-life meaning of permitting trains to pass on red. Alternatively something like "semipresignal" (I don't think that's a nice word, but it conveys the idea that it's behaviour is between that of a presignal and an ordinary signal).

I think the name "priority signal" would suit a signal that was guaranteed to clear first if trains on two different routes were wanting to reserve the same section of track. So if you put a priority signal on a congested mainline, then trains wouldn't be release from a siding until there was a gap in the traffic. This could be applied to any existing type of signal (so "priority presignal", "priority choose signal", etc.).
CHAPTER 2: RIVERS

In order to populate the map with rivers, we need the coordinates of the points that make up the river.  We are going to retrieve that from OpenStreetMap data.  It isn't easy, since the information found there although mostly amazing, sometimes it is incomplete or difficult to retrieve.  It also varies greatly among different world zones, depending on people collaboration in the project. [[N.B. the site is slow these days, so some of the scripts or tests may not work as expected]]

In OpenStreetMap, there are different objects that can appear in a certain map.  Each object has a unique Id.  Among all objects, one can find "ways".  We are interested in "water ways".  But, a certain river isn't a water way but is made of water ways and constitutes what is known as a "relation" in OSM jargon.  If we are lucky, we can find a relation that groups all the river data, but sometimes, we haven't that or the relation is incomplete and some parts of the river are missing.

For example, let's take river Duero, the first one I made.  Open http://www.openstreetmap.org, and search for "Duero".  You won't find anything useful, but if you search for "río Duero", at the end, you find:
River Douro, Valladolid, Castile and León, 09417, Spain
that links to:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2566210

Hooray! As you can see in the hyperlink, that's a relation.  The Id of that relation is 2566210.  Just click on the link and you'll get to a map with the river drawn.

There's an API that lets any programmer retrieve the information stored in OSM.  Using that in the scripts, we can get the coordinates of the rivers we are interested in and add it to the MAP directory of chapter one.  Note that that information in the MAP directory is in geographical coordinates.  Reason is that this way the data is reusable for different maps.  If coordinates of the points of the river were stored in map coordinates or our Simutrans map, they wouldn't be useful for other maps.

If you want information for tributaries, you have to get those too.

So, following the example above, make (or go to) a directory named RIVERS inside SICILIA map.  Inside that, you'll create files with the geographical coordinates of the rivers.  I prefer to group them in basins, that is, I create a directory named "DUERO" and inside it, place all the .coords files of Duero itself and all its tributaries.  For each of the files you create, you have to write the corresponding line in the <rivers> section of the map.xml file.

Just create a directory named RIVERS inside SIMUTRANSMAPS.  Go inside it, and expand the attached file: rivers.tar.gz.  The scripts speak for themselves and also there is a readme.txt file.  You can also find an example of one of such coords files.  It isn't the file for Duero coordinates because the file exceeds the 64kb limit for attachments in the forum.  It is for river Tormes, one of the tributaries of river Duero.
Stories, Screenshots, Videos & Saves / Re: Iberia (WIP)
« Last post by isidoro on Today at 10:12:09 PM »
To my knowledge, that isn't possible.
Pak128.Britain-Ex / Re: Why isnt the Class 483 available?
« Last post by jamespetts on Today at 09:55:36 PM »
It is an upgrade to the 1938 stock - are you trying to build it anew?
« Last post by Ters on Today at 09:55:04 PM »
The difference is that in real life you can tell signallers how to regulate traffic, and often they are working to a carefully planned timetable. Simutrans doesn't have the benefit of a timetable, and doesn't have intelligent signallers to regulate traffic.
I know that now. That does not mean it's obvious. Although one might deduce that Simutrans can not work as the real world in every aspect, it is not clear that what sounds like and looks like a distant signal is something completely different, because that happens to be what however Simutrans works needs in very specific circumstances.

How about naming it "early reserving signal" or "overtaking signal" ?
"Overtaking signal" is better than "priority signal" in that it doesn't steal the name from the alternate priority signal I described a few posts earlier, but there is no implicit overtaking involved. Signals in Simutrans seem to be named for what they do, not for what they can be used for. An alternate name for the pre-signal might be "multi-block signal". That is fitting for gauthier's signal as well, although they differ in the nature of "multi".

"Express signal" just popped into my head, although I'm not sure if it fits what I just wrote.
« Last post by sebastien on Today at 09:30:41 PM »
At work we have a saying that naming things is the hardest and most time consuming part of software development.
I agree. How about naming it "early reserving signal" or "overtaking signal" ?

It took me 11 years to learn how pre-signals actually work! And it wasn't from not reading the manual. The English help text states that pre-signals reserve the track "either between three consecutive signals or to next destination".
What it really does, is to repeat the authorization to cross the next signal, whatever it is. If it repeats a choose signal, a train can cross a pre-signal if it can cross the choose signal. Same for the classic signal. If it repeats another pre-signal, it can cross the first if it can cross the second, which can only be crossed if the signal it repeats can be crossed subsequently.
« Last post by ACarlotti on Today at 09:18:13 PM »
I don't see why I, as a beginner, should expect a game to require signals that never have been needed, or perhaps even imagined, in two centuries of railroad use in the real world.

The difference is that in real life you can tell signallers how to regulate traffic, and often they are working to a carefully planned timetable. Simutrans doesn't have the benefit of a timetable, and doesn't have intelligent signallers to regulate traffic. Priority signals would be attempting to prioritise faster trains in the same way that signallers would have done (and still do) in real life. However, in Simutrans the only place we can put this functionality is in the signalling system itself.
Pak128.Britain-Ex / Why isnt the Class 483 available?
« Last post by fam622 on Today at 09:12:49 PM »
Hi James. I just wanna know, why isnt the Class 483 available?
« Last post by Ters on Today at 08:46:45 PM »
I'm not sure that expecting them to work like a particular signal from reality was a good thing in the first place.
I don't see why I, as a beginner, should expect a game to require signals that never have been needed, or perhaps even imagined, in two centuries of railroad use in the real world. It is obvious now in hindsight that the realities in Simutrans is vastly different. Not so much then.

Its hard to get a name that fully describes the behaviour of a signal
At work we have a saying that naming things is the hardest and most time consuming part of software development.

The downside is that trains may stop for a split second at full speed waiting for a logn cascade
How is this different from pre-signals? The extra complexity of checking for branches?
Bug Reports / Re: slow midi initialisation
« Last post by Ters on Today at 08:31:14 PM »
I remember being amazed learning that my computer could play music from notes, not just replaying recorded sound like my cassette player. That was in hardware, a Sound Blaster 16 I think. Not so much amazed when software synthesizer took over, because it sounded like crap compared to the Sound Blaster AWE32 I had just prior. (I still use my AWE32 sound fonts when I in a moment of nostalgia dig out games from that period, or just the music from them. The sound won't be right otherwise.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10