The International Simutrans Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Pak128.Britain-Ex / Re: Tracks and signalling
« Last post by Vladki on Yesterday at 11:50:52 PM »
As I said above, would not that be the case for enforce_weight_limits=1 or 3 ?
In that you can let overweight (freight) train on cheap track, but it will go slowly...
At Birningcaster Tye station, the next westbound train on line P Castle Glystable K - St. Mary Goatcott B [L] will wait for clearance, but will not depart once the signal clears.
.sve: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UpinHO84E3ET3o0fMgM6_1ozOUJ_rlw1/view?usp=sharing
Pak128.Britain-Ex / [Explanation] Tracks and signalling
« Last post by mammothim2906 on Yesterday at 09:42:09 PM »
I am just trying to explain how like there are tracks which is limited for certain trains (i.e. on the Chiltern mainline) where past High Wycombe, there is 1 55/85mph limit the 55mph limit applying to freight trains and the 85mph limit applying to passenger trains (including those loco-hauled). So, in simple terms. I'm asking for a bit of track variation within the game as like there are also lines which have speed limits for heavier trains (i.e the Middlesbrough line) where there are speed limits which apply to the class 185s which are slower due to there weight and faster speed limits which apply to sprinter trains.
Pak128.Britain-Ex / Re: Tracks and signalling
« Last post by Vladki on Yesterday at 08:29:28 PM »
OK, let me sum up what do we already have in simutrans:

Signals have speed limit that should be relevant to their visibility (e.g. dwarf, classic, cab signals).
Every way/track has a speed limit, and axle load limit; bridges also total weight limit. You can change the behavior in simuconf.tab:
Code: [Select]
# This setting allows the way in which weight limits are enforced to be customised.
# The meanings of each setting are as follows:
# 0: weight limits are ignored entirely.
# 1: then vehicles can travel over roads, rails, tunnels and bridges for which they are too heavy, but only at greatly reduced speed.
# 2: Vehicles cannot travel over ways for which they are overweight at all.
# 3: Vehciles cannot travel over ways for which they are more than 10% overweight at all, and will travel on ways for which they are up to 10% overweight at a greatly reduced speed.
#
# To revert to the behaviour of Simutrans-Standard, set enforce_weight_limits=0

enforce_weight_limits=3
Although I don't know what exactly is the "greatly reduced speed".
And we have tilting trains, that can pass curves 30% faster faster.

And what is in real world (Czech railways).
There are different speed limits for:
1. tilting trains - higher speed in corners (cca 35%)
2. 6 axle engines (Co'Co' or 3-3) - lower speed in corners (due to higher wear)
3. selected non tilting trains - slightly higher speed in corners (cca 10%) - perhaps those with better brakes and suspension, multiple units, with possible exceptions for given track,
4. cargo trains - lower speed limit only on some places, specially mentioned in track info.

Example here: https://cs.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soubor:Rychlostniky_Chocen.JPG
The basic speed limit is 80, some engines can go 85 (#3), 6-axle engines 70 (#2), and tilting trains 100 km/h (#1, the tilting speed sign is further back at the signal)

Out of those, we have #1 already implemented. #2 and #3 could be made as generalization of #1. Instead of binary value (tilting or not), could be a % that says how much faster or slower this train can go through corners.
#4 is imho for places where train weight matters like old bridges that do not match the axle load of the rest of the track. This is possible with setting enforce_weight_limits=1.
So far none of these are relevant to signalling - only to track geometry (curves), axle load, and train characteristics.

For signalling there is one important value: braking distance. It is a distance at which train should be able to halt. It of course depends on speed, and is defined:
400 m for speeds < 60 km/h
700 m for speed 60 - 100 km/h
1000 m for speed 100 - 120 km/h
1000 m for speed 120 - 160 km/h with cab-signalling
(higer speed is not allowed in CZ)
All distant signals and 3-aspect signals are built at this distance from next signal. If a train is not capable to break at this distance, it must reduce its speed accordingly. This is partially done in simutrans too. If you put the distant signal too close to the main signal (or not at all), trains will start braking earlier even if the signal is clear. Moreover, trains without cab signalling are limited to 120 km/h. So it seems that the 1 km distance is not enough for higher speeds, and cab-signalling gives you one more block (1 km) to brake. Of course trains do not have to start braking immediately after passing caution signal. The driver has to know how much he needs with given train. (That is also implemented in simutrans). 4-aspect signalling was used to increase capacity by using blocks shorter than braking distance (cca 1970-2010), now it is used only in stations, when you need shorter blocks due to track layout. Again 4-aspect signaling works well in simutrans.

So I think simutrans-extended has all this covered quite well. What exactly are you missing?
In the save provided below at land stop 1, an incoming train on line 1 will cut through the reservation of an outgoing line 2 train.
.sve: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IPw77KLaAE2hrIkzXfKf15aziMNov35v/view?usp=sharing
Pak128.Britain-Ex / [Curious question] Tracks and signalling
« Last post by mammothim2906 on Yesterday at 03:27:10 PM »
No replys yet?
This is a great addition to help players understand their network. Are there tooltips for each entry (icon + value)? I agree entirely with Ves on which is best.

Can we add a poll to the topic if anyone has another opinion?

Simutrans Extended Discussion / Re: Vehicle Manager
« Last post by Ves on Yesterday at 11:48:34 AM »
I have attached some screenshoots to this post and am also uploading a binary, so you dont have to compile yourself. Remember, though, that you still need to have the correct menuconf.tab, so you will need to duplicate an existing pakset and replace the menuconf.tab with mine.

Menuconf.tab: https://github.com/VictorErik/saved-games/blob/master/veh-managment-gui/menuconf.tab
Executable: https://github.com/VictorErik/saved-games/raw/master/veh-managment-gui/Simutrans-Extended_veh-manager_190118.exe

It is compiled on MSVS1015, so I dont know if the executable will run on any type of machine.

Pak64 Add-ons and Graphics / Re: Tenuki_Sharyo`s add-on
« Last post by TenukiSharyo on Yesterday at 08:22:58 AM »
Original Metro "Megalos Metro" vol.1 (Type-EMU-Metro_Original_MegalosMetro_vol1.zip)

This set includes Tenuki Sharyo's original EMU of metro.
I made 8 kinds of high capacity trainset.

I recommend it to your map's crowded metro.

--EMUs included in the add-on--

・Type-1(Debut:1985.1, 1995.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-2(Debut:1985.1, 1995.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-3(Debut:1995.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-4(Debut:2003.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-5(Debut:2008.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-6(Debut:2013.1 Speed:80km/h)
・Type-S1(Debut:2015.1 Speed:120km/h)
・Type-S2(Debut:2023.1 Speed:120km/h)

---------------
* Update information *
I updatd an add-on set "Type-EMU_China-CRH_CR" newly.
Please see this for details.

In principle, storing these data should not be too difficult. The most difficult part (and that is not difficult when you know how to do it) is saving these data with the saved games. This sort of work (adding data structures and code for loading/saving them) is more tedious than difficult.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10