News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Thai translation

Started by Combuijs, March 26, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Combuijs

I got a personal message from sirpong. He wants to translate Simutrans into Thai. Now I can see some problems with that, because Thai uses a different character set than all other translations we have. How can he proceed with this?

Do we support those characters at the moment in Simutrans itself? If so, do we support those characters on the Simutranslator site? I could not answer those questions, maybe one of you can?

Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

Simutranslator supports UTF8, thus thai is not a problem. We do not have a nice thai font, although the chines font is relatively complete. I have to check what range is thai.

Combuijs

Any news on this? I got a very enthousiastic translator waiting...

how's the discussion about the Thai translation.
you've got some answer from the development team?

I really want and need to translate the Simutrans game to Thai version. It will be great fun for Thai people I think :)
So man, if you get some answer from the devteam please reply this mail

sirpong

Thank you Combuijs for helping :)

I know that the simutrans devteam is expert,  I think I can start translation soon :)

Thank you!

prissi

It seems we do not have a thai bdf font; however, thai is a single codepage. Thus there is hope that there are useful bdf fonts around.

An_dz

I found these in public domain:
ftp://linux.thai.net/pub/thailinux/software/thaixfonts

Not sure if they are complete.

Edit:
Can't Thai be already included in simutranslator as we search for a font?

Dwachs

Without font you would not be able to test it in-game :/

In fact, thai language has been added to translator already.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

The next nightly will contain a font with thai characters in cyr.bdf. Albeits they may be cut off or ugly, for all I know ...

Combuijs

I have reported it all to sarpong / MR.BK together with some tips how to get a translation account and where he can find the nightly.

Thanks to all involved!

Dwachs

Created account for MRBK at translator site.

MRBK, please let us know in case something is not working.

sirpong

Hi all!

Please call me Pee :)

I think Thai will be big problem because some fonts can sometimes be under and/or over the other one. I've tried to change station names from English into Thai (BANGKOK) - กรุงเทพมหานคร, the result will be (กรุงเทพมหานคร) but the game displayed (กร ุงเทพมหานคร). Characters that should be under (ร) jump instead one step forward and stands as next. I can read it but it is not good enough. The player will be confused.

I think devteam can fix the problem.

thanks so much everyone for helping:)

PS 1. Google translate from SV to EN
PS 2. I can't login to simutranslator with MRBK :(

Dwachs

Please try the win-SDL build. I could login with the data I sent you ???

sirpong

Quote from: Dwachs on April 10, 2013, 06:23:34 PM
Please try the win-SDL build. I could login with the data I sent you ???

Not better  :-[

Dwachs

It looks like the problem is that these combined characters are stored as two individual characters in the text but are displayed as one combined character.

sirpong

Unreadable text!

Dwachs

Where do you got that th.tab file from?

Please use the online translator.

The display of Thai character can be fixed. It requires a lot of programming work: either switch text rendering to an external library or put in special treatment of Thai characters. The more text is translated to Thai the higher is the pressure on developers to fix text handling ;)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Dwachs on April 10, 2013, 07:18:06 PM
The more text is translated to Thai the higher is the pressure on developers to fix text handling ;)

I think it's time to learn a new language. *trollface*

j/k

Other possibility would be a programmer outside the devteam volunteers to code a fix for it.

prissi

The problem with the characterssi that their width is set to zero. However, so far simutrans does not allow for zero width.

Dwachs

Quote from: prissi on April 11, 2013, 12:00:57 AM
The problem with the characterssi that their width is set to zero. However, so far simutrans does not allow for zero width.
No, the have positive width. The problem is more of the type to combine two characters to one, line a" -> ä

prissi

With zero logical witdth and non-zero screen width, overlapping is easily achieved ...

Frank

I think is a dev problem not a translate problem

please move the topic to dev board

prissi

The problem is the definition of the bdf font. As such, I think it would be better here. I.e. what width should be used for the acent letters.