News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Question regarding work in progress pak and screen shot

Started by colonyan, June 08, 2012, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I have a pak set work in progress. Still in early stage.
I'm currently using defalut pak64 as host to put in new pak files, replacing the pak64 files.

I have a question here, from where I can call the pak set in work that it is different from pak64.
Does all visual must differ? Such as tile cursor. Those are very subtle image file but do I need something distict for my pak set?

There is also pak setting files. Do I need something which is different enough from pak64? How different is different enough?

From what point I can claim it is pak set of my work...?
Thanks for your attention.

kierongreen

If you want to be able to claim all the credit then nothing less than 100% will suffice, breaking this down you have:
Interface: window furniture, fonts and icons (including templates).
Transport infrastructure: roads, ways, bridges, tunnels, stops, docks, airports, stations and infrastructure
Vehicles: trains, buses, lorries, aeroplanes and boats.
Industry: factories, farms and power plants.
Buildings: Monuments, attractions and city buildings.
Landscape: Ground textures, lightmaps, transition images, trees, marker, grid, foundations (natural and manmade) and water.

Now, completely replacing all vehicles is in itself a big step. It can effectively localise a pakset to a different country, you can go for a simple or complex range of vehicles, focus on one form of transport etc. If these effectively fit in with another pakset then you can think of this as a vehicle addon/replacement.

Moving on to transport infrastructure, industry, building and landscape, these can all add to the feel of a distinctive pakset. Some graphics few paksets try to alter - lightmaps and transition textures aren't immediately visible to the player so may be shared. Interface graphics are rarely changed as most paksets concentrate on the playing world.

Why is it so important for a pakset is 100% your own work? Even paksets which may otherwise be completely different may share some graphics (some buildings between pak64/128, certainly in the past for example). Unless there's a good reason most paksets of the same size will reuse marker and grid images (maybe with minor colour changes).

Creating an environment which looks good and is interesting and challenging to play is the most important aspect of pakset creation in my opinion, how much of that is your own creation is neither here nor there. People will acknowledge the work you have put in, however much that is :)

Just seen your comment elsewhere:
QuoteIsn't people working on too many project? Maybe joint project might speed up things.
There may be some truth in this, pak64 and pak128 have had many contributors in their time....

colonyan

I much appreciate for your detailed answer.
I believe now I better remove and start with very simple graphic if I want to make something in working state and presentable.
I will start small.

Edit: Add
Quote from: kierongreen on June 08, 2012, 03:30:05 PM
If you want to be able to claim all the credit then nothing less than 100% will suffice, breaking this down you have:...

So is it permissible to present(only screen shots, individual pak and dat file) the work in progress while informing it is not entirely own's work? Its not as if I will show in next few days or a week, when I think I have enough to do so.