News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Cities never get larger than one city hall

Started by Max-Max, October 13, 2013, 02:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max-Max

Beside the ground tiles etc..
I have one road object, one tow object, one res object and one com object. When I generate a map all towns never get larger than one town hall. The roads works fine and connects them, but no res or com objects are added to the towns.

If I select "found new town" in the special menu, I get a larger town with all my buildings.
Why doesn't it generate larger towns at map generation?

I have obviously set something wrong or something is missing.
I use the cityrule.tab from the PAK128 pak-set and all my buildings are of level 1 and introduction year 1900 until 2990.
- My code doesn't have bugs. It develops random features...

Max-Max

Hmm, is it so that no one knows how cities are generated? What is needed as minimum to actually generate a "city"?

sdog

try again with much larger median population. The first buildings are only built after a certain threshold. Before all the population 'lives in the city hall'.

Fabio

Also you can't have the same building twice side-to-side.
You should have at least 2-3 buildings for each type.

Markohs

I allways generate my maps with 1 citizen per city, I like to see them grow. It just takes lots of time, and bringing lots of passengers, before they start expanding, and very slowly.

Max-Max

- Larger population doesn't help. I have tried from 1500 up to 10 000.
- More buildings doesn't help.
- Super flat terrain doesn't help

I some times get ONE city larger than one city hall...
The opening map (shown behind the banner) is never larger than one city hall.

There must be something fundamental wrong here... I came to think of one thing. I only have one road type defined and if I have more, how does Simutrans know which one is the "city" road?

*** EDIT
I made one interesting observation...
- I copied the city hall images and .dat file from PAK128, then suddenly a road network was generated for each town (still not more buildings).
- I removed all city hall configurations but one in the .dat file, still same result, a city road network.
- BUT, when I changed the city hall size from dim=2,2 to dim=1,1 No city roads where generated.

So to make a city grow, the city hall must be minimum 2,2?!? I guess this "feature" is in the cityrules.tab file or?!?

Ters

pak64 starts out with a 1x1 town hall, then changes to 2x2 once the town has grown a little (which sometimes causes the town hall to relocate), so it shouldn't be the size on its own that's the problem.

prissi

If there are no road connections built (intercity roads 0) and there is a 1x1 townhall, then this will only generate a single road tile which might or may not allow for additional buidings or roads (according to the cityrules). pak64 builds churches early on, so this may help road building. Or it is in th ecityrules.tab.

Max-Max

Thank you Prissi (and anyone else that helped out), I copied the PAK64 cityrules.tab and now all cities was generated...
So the conclusion is that the "problem" was in the rules of how roads where build (no roads = no houses)...

An_dz

Thanks for the conclusion, I should check the 96comic rules since I'm having similar behaviour.