News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Simutrans Logos

Started by An_dz, September 12, 2010, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

QuoteStructure
1. Simutrans Logos
  1.1 Simutrans Official Logo
  1.2 Simutrans Nightly Build Logo
  1.3 Simutrans Experimental Logo
  1.4 Simutrans Mac Logo
  1.5 Simutrans Square Logo
2. Paksets Logos
  2.1 Pak.HD
  2.2 Pak.HD-HighTech
  2.3 Pak128.CS
  2.4 Pak192.Comic
  2.5 Comic Style
3. What I Used
4. Comments & More
5. Download
6. Changelog
ATTENTION: In our resources page from our portal you can download the latest version of the official logos in vector (EPS) and raster (PNG) and with no need to download the font files.

I've been searching the forum and found some people asking for a logo in Simutrans Experimental and Graphics.Simutrans.
So I decided to create it, I searched this forum and the old archived forum and downloaded the official logo in svg format.
As I was thinking in a logo for graphics and experimental I decided to make some changes in the official logo and the nightly logo.

1.1 Simutrans Official Logo
The Official logo, I think it's perfect, but the font used to write Simutrans didn't look good for me, so I made some search about a new font, but then I remembered a font that I got installed. And for me it's perfect, the font is from a set of 'road sign fonts' it's an exact copy of the official font used in USA. The font fits perfect in a transport game.

Update History (Image above is Version 1)
Version 1 (First logo)
Version 1.1
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 1.1

1.2 Simutrans Nightly Build Logo
The Nighly logo is cool too, but I didn't remembered that it already has a logo, so I created it anyway, I just changed the background color for a night effect, added a moon and an hotel sign and wrote Nightly above the logo with another font from the same road sign set.

Version 1 (First logo)
Version 2
Version 3 Alternative A
Version 3 Alternative B
Version 3 Alternative C
Version 3.1 Alternative B
Version 3.1 Alternative C
Version 3.2 Alternative B
Version 3.2 Alternative C
Version 3.3 Alternative B
Version 3.3 Alternative C
Version 3.4 Alternative B
Version 3.4 Alternative C
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 3.2C or 3.2B (Waiting for comments for Version 3.4)

1.3 Simutrans Experimental Logo
The Experimental logo came from my mind immediately, I tried to made a sketch effect in the logo, to me it gives the idea of experimental, it's like the programmers are "drawing" Simutrans.

Version 1 (First logo)
Version 2 - Now is pakHD logo
Version 3
Version 3.1
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 3 (Waiting for comments for Version 3.1)

1.4 Simutrans Mac Logo
The Mac logo is for Mac OS, it tries to have a square look but having the same identity of the main logo. But probably will be replaced with the square logo.
Update History
Version 1 (First logo)
Version 2
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 2
First post about the logo, with alpha preview.

1.5 Simutrans Square Logo
The Square logo is a version for places where the main wide logo won't look good, like when the logo needs to be small.
Update History
Version 1 (First logo)
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 1
First post about the logo with an alpha preview.

2. Paksets Logos
2.1 pakHD Logo
pakHD is using the same logo from Simutrans Experimental Version 2, but with some changes on tree.
Go to the post with last modified logo by martin, pakHD maintainer.

2.2 pakHD.HighTech Logo
Logo created for pakset HD.HighTech. Go to the post about this logo.
Version 1 (First logo) pakset was named pak96.HD2
Version 2
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 2

2.3 pak128.CS Logo
Logo created for the pak128.CSGo to the post about this logo.
Version 1 (First logo)
Version 1.1
Version 1.1.1
Version 1.1.2
ACTUAL LOGO: Version 1.1.2

2.4 pak192.comic Logo
New logo created for pakset 192.comic. Go to the post about this logo.
Version 1 (First logo)

2.5 Comic Logo
New logo created for the Comic section. Go to the post about this logo.
Version 1 (First logo)

3. What I used
I've used roadgeek 2005 font (Download here) on Simutrans and Nightly words and Harrison font (Download Here) on Experimental word. For the logos I edited the official logo from stormoog(?) in Inkscape.

4. Comments & More
The logos keep a standard for Simutrans. (I'll talk more about create a Standard for Simutrans on another topic.)

I also created the icons for all of them, cause I was thinking about something like the executable for each of them with those different logos, so when running it you know what you're running. Explaining better: Simutrans stable version use the official logo, the nightly version use the nightly logo and experimental use the experimental logo.

I didn't created the graphics logo cause I had no good ideas yet, but I'm gonna post it here when done.

5. Downloads
ATTENTION: In our resources page from our portal you can download the latest version of the official logos in vector (EPS) and raster (PNG) and with no need to download the font files.

You can download the SVG's, ICO's and PNG's from here.

You can download the PNG and SVG for Mac logo from here

You can download the PNG and SVG for Square logo from here

You can download the PNG and SVG for pakHD.HT here.

You can download the PNG and SVG for pak128.CS here.

You can download the PNG and SVG for Comic logo here.

I want to know if you guys liked it, so comment.

PS.:I just want to add that the hotel sign in nightly logo uses the official blue from US signs.
PS2.:My icon creator program has an mac icon option, if needed I can convert it.

6. Changelog: (GMT -3)

14 Sep 2010 1:00pm
Edited 'original logo' for 'official logo' as told by Hajo.
Added update history for the logos
Updated link for download with new logos
14 Sep 2010 9:20pm
Added Version 3 of Experimental
Updated download for the logos
18 Sep 2010 1:50pm
Added Versions 3.1B and 3.1C for Nightly Logo
20 Sep 2010 9:20pm
Added Versions 3.2B and 3.2C for Nightly Logo
10 Nov 2010 11:15pm
Added Version 3.1 for Experimental Logo
Updated download for the logos - Experimental icon still version 3.0
13 Nov 2010 3:15pm
Added Versions 3.3B and 3.3C for Nightly Logo
14 Nov 2010 1:00am
Updated download for the logos - Experimental icon now version 3.1 and Nightly 3.3C
15 Nov 2010 9:05pm
Added Version 1.1 Simutrans Official Logo
Added Versions 3.4B and 3.4C Nightly Logo
Updated download for the logos
17 Nov 2010 10:55pm
Added pak96.HD2 logo
18 Nov 2010 4:15pm
Added Version 2 pakHD.HighTech (was pak96.HD2)
Updated download for pakHD.HighTech logo
15 Aug 2011 11:28pm
Added pak192.comic logo
16 Aug 2011 10:03am
Addded Comic section logo
21 Dez 2011 12:53am (Summer time +1h)
Addded pak128.CS logo
21 Dez 2011 11:25am (Summer time +1h)
Addded download link for pak128.CS logo
27 Feb 2012 11:42am
Added pak128.CS logo version 1.1
27 Feb 2012 6:40pm
Added version 1.1.1 for pak128.CS logo
28 Feb 2012 10:30am
Added version 1.1.2 for pak128.CS logo
12 Nov 2012 7:22pm
Added Mac and Square logos

Spike

Quote from: An_dz on September 12, 2010, 05:37:42 AM
The Original logo

Simutrans had a different logo originally. This one came up after I retired from development.

Edit: I like the concept of the Simutrans Experimental logo. I'd wish for a more futuristic train, though, also the picture already has a touch of retro-futuristic style.

prissi

IgorEliezer

Quote from: prissi on September 12, 2010, 08:21:54 PM
Very nice logos indeed ...
^ QFT  :)

Just the Hotel/Bed sign in the Nightly Build logo makes me feel a tad out-of-place.

prissi

Maybe this should be rather some "attention!" sign, as the nightlies may be broken?

IgorEliezer

I think the attention sign (/!\) would distract the observer from the actual message: Nightly Build. About being broken or not, it's secondary.

I am more for "less is more" philosophy, though. Then, IMHO, I'd remove the sign. A quarter moon (or full moon) will reinforce the Nightly idea.

Francisco

Maybe one of these:

Quote from: IgorEliezer on September 12, 2010, 09:32:32 PM
A quarter moon (or full moon) will reinforce the Nightly idea.

And the train lights turned on too :)

IgorEliezer

Off-topic:

Welcome back sir Francisco. :D

An_dz

Quote from: Hajo on September 12, 2010, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: An_dz
The Original logo
Simutrans had a different logo originally. This one came up after I retired from development.
You're right, I remember the old logo, I wanted to say the official logo, but it was 2 AM. ;)
Off: What an honor, the Simutrans' God gave the first reply. ;D
Quote from: The Simutrans Holy Bible Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the Simutrans were compiled in all their vast array, so on the same night he rested from all his work.

Quote from: Francisco on September 12, 2010, 09:58:55 PM
And the train lights turned on too :)
Quote from: IgorEliezer on September 12, 2010, 09:32:32 PM
I'd remove the sign.
I did what you guys asked here's result:

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I like the nightly logo very much :)

Well, I like them all, too.

ӔO

I like the nightly logo.
I think the experimental logo makes it look like pak.HD

maybe a blueprint like background and some drawing tools like a protractor and pencil?
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

vilvoh

I really love them, specially the experimental one, although the shape of the tree has too many lines in the inside.

The nightly compilation site already has a good logo, maybe you can mix them, and add some stars to yours.

PD: I don't know why but the last design reminds me a little bit to Harry Potter...  :)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

skreyola

Quote from: AEO on September 13, 2010, 04:11:34 AM
I like the nightly logo.

maybe a blueprint like background and some drawing tools like a protractor and pencil?
PakHD is what I thought of, too.
I think slightly cleaner lines in a blueprint fashion would be better for ST-X.
I think this new nightly logo is better than the nightly build site's logo. But some stars would be nice, and a nearly half moon (slightly on the quarter side) would be good.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Michael 'Cruzer'

I really like your logos! They are great!

Actually there is the default logo at the boot up of pak64 nightly... probably we could use it there in the nightly builds? (not at the homepage...)
Also the Experimental logo is cool...
( probably you also have an idea for a logo for the Simutrans Comic Section? I know, you mean the binaries, but actually the 192c has no logo ;D )
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.

An_dz

Quote from: vilvoh on September 13, 2010, 07:36:12 AM
I really love them, specially the experimental one, although the shape of the tree has too many lines in the inside.
I did what you told, it looks cleaner now:

Quote from: AEO on September 13, 2010, 04:11:34 AM
Quote from: skreyola on September 13, 2010, 07:27:02 PM
PakHD is what I thought of, too.
A blueprint background didn't look good, the logo became too confusing, it's already not so clean, and with lines at the back it became too dirty.
But I liked the idea of some tools over it. I will do it another time.

Quote from: vilvoh on September 13, 2010, 07:36:12 AM
maybe you can mix them, and add some stars to yours.
But some stars would be nice, and a nearly half moon (slightly on the quarter side) would be good.
I created three with stars, one with full moon and two others with half moon. You can clearly see that I created two constellation: Crux, better know as Southern Cross, and Ursa Minor with Polaris, better know as Polar Star. The constellation give an International look, Southern Cross representing south and Ursa Minor representing north. Here are they, full moon, half moon and 'realistic' half moon

Quote from: Michael 'Cruzer' on September 13, 2010, 08:24:42 PM
( probably you also have an idea for a logo for the Simutrans Comic Section? I know, you mean the binaries, but actually the 192c has no logo ;D )
I have no ideas right now, and I'm still thinking in a Graphics logo, but if an idea come from my mind first I'm gonna do it first.

Also, congrats for your pak, I love playing with it. And pak96.comic too. ;D

vilvoh

About the nightly logo, I think the third one is the best design

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

skreyola

Quote from: An_dz on September 14, 2010, 01:08:06 AM
A blueprint background didn't look good, the logo became too confusing, it's already not so clean, and with lines at the back it became too dirty.
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. You don't need to have clutter in the background, just make the ST-X logo blue with white lines, similar to what you have except I don't think the tree needs to look sketched. I think the tree is the big thing that makes this look like a PakHD logo.

This is the best one.

Perhaps for g.s.c, you could do the same logo without the smoke, with another type of train alongside the first one, or with a building in the background, to symbolize the paks and other options on the site.
--Skreyola

VS

I love this... some unification across the varieties of game is desirable :) Perhaps these logos could be shown above pak selection box? Since some paksets already use their own logos, this wonderful unity would work nicely there.

I'd agree with skreyola that the sketch-like look makes me think of pakHD. On the other hand, maybe it's only because we know it exists?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

An_dz

Quote from: skreyola on September 14, 2010, 04:01:01 PM
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. You don't need to have clutter in the background, just make the ST-X logo blue with white lines, similar to what you have except I don't think the tree needs to look sketched. I think the tree is the big thing that makes this look like a PakHD logo.This is the best one.
Now it's better explained, I didn't understood what you wanted before. I'll try doing it today.

Quote from: VS on September 14, 2010, 04:27:17 PM
I love this... some unification across the varieties of game is desirable :) Perhaps these logos could be shown above pak selection box? Since some paksets already use their own logos, this wonderful unity would work nicely there.
Maybe before the game starts the Simutrans' logo should appear. Like this:

And for people with only one pakset the logo appear for 5 seconds in black background

I edited the first post, added some links and also updated the file with the logos in SVG, ICO and now included PNG's.

skreyola

Good ideas.
Thank you for all your work on this so far.
--Skreyola

martin

I also like your logos very much!! May I adopt the experimental logo and implement it in PakHD?
It needs some tweaking, like removing "experimental", and maybe make the black lines a bit softer...

I'll give it a try if you let me.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: An_dz on September 14, 2010, 05:42:52 PM
Maybe before the game starts the Simutrans' logo should appear. Like this:

YES. I support it. :)

All games I know has a logo in start screen.

VS

Now only the program support for that... :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

For experimental rather something like below, maybe with digit font from old calculators?

An_dz

Quote from: martin on September 14, 2010, 08:19:08 PM
I also like your logos very much!! May I adopt the experimental logo and implement it in PakHD?
It needs some tweaking, like removing "experimental", and maybe make the black lines a bit softer...

I'll give it a try if you let me.
Course you can!
I did a new version for Experimental, it's now very different.
And keep me update, I want to see what you'll do. ;)

Quote from: skreyola on September 14, 2010, 04:01:01 PM
make the ST-X logo blue with white lines, similar to what you have except I don't think the tree needs to look sketched.
Now the version 3 of Experimental logo is great, I did what you said. I removed the tree and blueprinted it:

skreyola

Quote from: An_dz on September 15, 2010, 12:16:50 AM
Now the version 3 of Experimental logo is great, I did what you said. I removed the tree and blueprinted it:

Great, indeed. It's beautiful.
I kind of like prissi's submission also. Hmm. Perhaps a vote should be held.
--Skreyola

isidoro

Quote from: An_dz on September 14, 2010, 01:08:06 AM

Maybe to make the moon look more realistic, the "horns" should start at opposite sides of the circle.  This one is more like an eclipse.  Also, I would turn the lighted part of the moon slightly pointing towards the horizon.  The lighted part comes from the sun and that part should point towards the place where the sun has risen or set.

IgorEliezer

^ That moon above seems a full moon under a lunar eclipse.

An_dz

Quote from: isidoro on September 15, 2010, 01:21:32 AM
Maybe to make the moon look more realistic, the "horns" should start at opposite sides of the circle.  This one is more like an eclipse.  Also, I would turn the lighted part of the moon slightly pointing towards the horizon.  The lighted part comes from the sun and that part should point towards the place where the sun has risen or set.
OK maybe you're right, I just called it 'realistic' to say that alternative B is different from C and because when you look at an half moon you see a ball with a darken side and a lightened side, if I was searching for reality the southern cross will never appear even close the Polar Star. And it's just a logo, you can do what you want, if you want UFOs shotting lasers we can do it.

Also that makes me think about a poll to choose the logos. But including the current official logo of Simutrans and Nightly.

PS:I'm with some ideas for Graphics, but still thinking how to put it on Inkscape

ӔO

hmm, for the experimental, how about making the "experimental" look like the smoke coming out of the train?
that should create some room for tools to be placed inside the boundaries.

and maybe the graph lines could be done so that they're coming out of the same point as the train is?

Colour safe chart:

skreyola

Quote from: AEO on September 15, 2010, 02:11:51 AM
hmm, for the experimental, how about making the "experimental" look like the smoke coming out of the train?

and maybe the graph lines could be done so that they're coming out of the same point as the train is?
Oh, I like these ideas. It would be great if the word Experimental were in the smoke line.
--Skreyola

An_dz

As I told in the first post, standard, I want to maintain a standard in Simutrans official logos, changing it to the smoke breaks it. ;) But I can give a try to show it here, but I still don't agree.

You say the white parallel lines in blueprint? ???
I''m gonna try, but I don't think it will be cool.

jamespetts

On the subject of the Experimental logo - unless the suggestion made above to show the logo on the pak selector screen is adopted (which may have some benefits), there is not a need for a Simutrans-Experimental logo per se, as the logo used is whatever logo accompanies the pakset being used with it (by default, Pak128.Britain-Ex). Although the logo is well drawn (my preference is for the earlier version), I am keen to get away from the idea of Experimental having graphics (etc.) that emphasise the "experimental" nature of the project, because Experimental is not just a test-bed, but a fully-fledged fork that, when sufficiently stable and tested, will become "Simutrans-Extended".

However, I do like the nightly logos - the purple colour is rather fetching :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

Quote from: An_dz on September 15, 2010, 05:34:04 PM
As I told in the first post, standard, I want to maintain a standard in Simutrans official logos, changing it to the smoke breaks it. ;) But I can give a try to show it here, but I still don't agree.
You say the white parallel lines in blueprint? ???
I''m gonna try, but I don't think it will be cool.

yeah, there's no need to actually do what I suggest. I just figured I might throw out some of my ideas for your own inspiration. :)

Colour safe chart:

martin

First update for pakHD resized to 256 px wide and some little tweaking...