News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Simutrans Logos

Started by An_dz, September 12, 2010, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An_dz

Quote from: AEO on September 15, 2010, 08:24:10 PM
yeah, there's no need to actually do what I suggest. I just figured I might throw out some of my ideas for your own inspiration. :)
Course you can give your feedback, sorry if I looked rude :-[, but I just wanted to show my point of view. As you can see, both logos became great because of feedbacks like yours, I need to thank all the feedbacks given ;D.

Quote from: martin on September 15, 2010, 08:44:25 PM
First update for pakHD resized to 256 px wide and some little tweaking...
Hot, liked the new tree. Any possible update at pakHD in near future? ;D

Francisco

About the nightly logo.....

I think some stars are a little "agressive" at that size, I'd reduce them a bit :)

Everything else is wonderful :) Keep the good work :)

skreyola

Quote from: martin on September 15, 2010, 08:44:25 PM
First update for pakHD resized to 256 px wide and some little tweaking...
Looks good. Just needs "pakHD" somewhere on it.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

MoTw

Quote from: Francisco on September 16, 2010, 01:47:56 AM

I think some stars are a little "agressive" at that size, I'd reduce them a bit :)

Everything else is wonderful :) Keep the good work :)

/sign :) Those logos are incredible! I like them very much, all of them!
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

Spike

Quote from: An_dz on September 15, 2010, 12:16:50 AM

I like this version. The blueprint idea looks good to me, too.

An_dz

I don't think so, that's what I think.
But I will try do all requests and post them here today.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't understood at first time, read too fast, You're right, the stars are too big near others, it's cause I tried to maintain the real size of the star (viewing from earth). But some are really too huge.

DirrrtyDirk

Anway, these are all really nice logos! You did a great job there!

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

An_dz

Reduced it by 80% in version 3.B and 3.C, the versions that more people commented.
Version 3.1B

Version 3.1C

I'll wait some feedback to see if I change the actual version from 3.C to one of those.

jamespetts

I do like that nightly logo. One small comment if I may: the stars would look better, I think, not as bright white, but the same off-white colour as the moon or even the trail from the locomotive headlamp. The contrast with the background is at present higher with the stars than with anything else, making the stars appear unduly prominent.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

skreyola

They do look much better at reduced size, I think.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

An_dz

Quote from: jamespetts on September 18, 2010, 09:10:39 PM
I do like that nightly logo. One small comment if I may: the stars would look better, I think, not as bright white, but the same off-white colour as the moon or even the trail from the locomotive headlamp. The contrast with the background is at present higher with the stars than with anything else, making the stars appear unduly prominent.
Ok, but... they are with the same color.

Spike

Quote from: An_dz on September 19, 2010, 10:49:47 PM
Ok, but... they are with the same color.

Human vision interprets colors differently if enclosed by different colors. You may need to adapt the color to look the same way, even if technically it's the same color.

An_dz

Quote from: Hajo on September 20, 2010, 08:07:03 AM
Human vision interprets colors differently if enclosed by different colors. You may need to adapt the color to look the same way, even if technically it's the same color.
So we have a big problem here, my eyes :o see the same color. But I'm gonna do a more yellow stars and train light. ;D

An_dz

Quote from: An_dz on September 20, 2010, 04:31:50 PM
Quote from: Hajo on September 20, 2010, 08:07:03 AM
So we have a big problem here, my eyes :o see the same color. But I'm gonna do a more yellow stars and train light. ;D
I gave a more yellow color for the stars and set the same color for the train light:
Guys I wanna know which version you liked the most from all versions.
Version 3.2B

Version 3.2C

PS.:Michael, I'm already working in a pak192.comic logo, i got a good idea, but I want to know: there's no map editor tool on pak192.comic?

ӔO

I think I like 3.2c the most.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

An_dz

I did some tests with the logos in the executables of Simutrans, I took lots of pics, take a look how they look in Windows 7. (Click over image to bigger size)

Running Game

Simutrans Folder (Comparing with original file)

Game Folder (Vista/Win7)

An_dz's ImageShack Account

vilvoh

All logos are really good, but imho the experimental one makes a lot of contrast, with the black background and the white words.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Václav

Vilvoh: of course, I only would like to know this: constellation close to tree is "Southern cross" (Crux) but I would like to know what constellation is that other one.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

isidoro

It looks like Ursa minor (small bear).  The star at the tail is Polaris.  It nowadays indicates the location of the North Pole and thus can be used to know where the north is in the northern hemisphere.

An_dz

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on October 21, 2010, 08:19:37 PM
Vilvoh: of course, I only would like to know this: constellation close to tree is "Southern cross" (Crux) but I would like to know what constellation is that other one.
Czech republic is not in north hemisphere? :D Just like isidoro told, it's ursa minor. You can see my explanation on this post i wrote some time ago.
Quote from: isidoro on October 21, 2010, 11:44:01 PM
It nowadays indicates the location of the North Pole...
Nowadays? I thought it always pointed to north. Oh, no, there was a time that it pointed to south pole 2 trillions of year ago. ;D ;D

And I'll change the blue to a lighter one.

Combuijs

QuoteNowadays? I thought it always pointed to north

No, 3000 years ago it was slightly off north and in 3000 years it will be slightly off again. In a few 1000 years another star might point to the north. Just be patient  ;) .
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Václav

Quote from: isidoro on October 21, 2010, 11:44:01 PM
It looks like Ursa minor (small bear).  The star at the tail is Polaris.  It nowadays indicates the location of the North Pole and thus can be used to know where the north is in the northern hemisphere.
Ohh... I am sorry... but it is seen on night sky partly different from location of my house - like on (very simplified) attached picture

An_dz

Well I made Ursa just like I saw in Wikipedia, I tried to copy the size of them. Anyway I can try make a slight move in it.

Václav

An_dz: It may be OK like it is on Wikipedia - because from different place (meant mostly different equator - Prague is about on the 50th equator) it can be seen different.

isidoro

In fact the constellation rotates around its tail once every day (aprox.) and once every year (if you take a picture from whatever location from where it can be seen every day at 23:00 o'clock, it will do a whole rotation in one year).

An_dz

Quote from: vilvoh on October 11, 2010, 07:16:56 AM
All logos are really good, but imho the experimental one makes a lot of contrast, with the black background and the white words.
I reduced a little the dark blue to reduce a bit the contrast, what you guys think?

Being a little boring: Are prissi, Dwachs or jamespett thinking about using my logo? ;D ;D

Updated first post with this version and updated the download link

prissi

How to use? The program cannot display a logo, only the pakset can. And the nightly logo needs to be included by werniman.

Or are we talking about something different?

sojo

Can you try to make a comic-version from the logo too?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

An_dz

Quote from: prissi on November 11, 2010, 09:44:03 AM
How to use?
Or are we talking about something different?
I'm talking about the icon file, on my own Simutrans compiles I use my logo. I was thinking about if you already testing it. You can download already made icons, PNG's and also the vetor SVG's on my first post.
Werniman is the nightly page maintainer?

Quote from: sojo on November 11, 2010, 01:28:37 PM
Can you try to make a comic-version from the logo too?
Course, right now I'm doing a pak192.comic logo for Cruzer. I'm creating 3 options, one that can be used on both comic paks and the other 2 more pakset independent, I will give a break in pak192.comic logo and gonna modify the official logo to look like comic so I can finish 2 logos.

prissi

The only acceptable icon size at the moment is 16x16 (and 48x48), since large icons are only supported for Vista and up. Moreover, the icon needs to be quadratic and 256 colors (or I cannot built it with standard tools).

Therefore, I cannot supply the icon with simutrans, so that it will be used at the right place on all windows versions.

An_dz

Well, my Visual Studio is installed on XP and using my icon it works OK, I also copied the file to a Vista and Win7 and the only difference is that now I can see the 256x256 and 128x128 icons. The XP PC is also in 16 bits color and I still can see the icons.

What's the problem you're trying to tell me? All the icons have a 256x256, 128x128, 48x48, 32x32 and 16x16 inside so compatibility is full for all versions.

VS

Program icon is just the first icon found in program resources (maybe with special name). You can link it like another resource, perhaps even after normal linking. Depends a lot on what "standard tools" is for you... But unless your tool seriously wants to outsmart you, there will be a number of simple ways around that. Of course, the question is if you want to spend time going around then :)

PS: http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MS_resource_compiler but you can ignore the FUD about not working with .res

PPS: this is a definitive guide and very simple too: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post676586.html#post676586

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

This is not try. ICO will be selected on color depth and size. I just repeated the informations from MSDN on which sizes XP will use ... ok, I will try ICO with higher resolution.

sdog

quite impressive logos!

one major gripe with the nightly logo though. If it's not supposed to be the earths shadow on the moon, a 3/4 full moon looks quite different:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandeepak/3025596013/
Desaturating the tree might also make the logo look more nightly. It looked fine enough without any stars at all. They're a bit too symbolic, but what should they symbol, but night?

I think the second experimental logo to be the best. I don't think it should be worried about confusing it with pak HD, that's distinctive enough. The blue background and the lines seems to me a bit overloaded, too clean for actual blueprint paper and not really bringing the message, unless you know it.

Having a simutrans logo implemented, before the pak logo will have too positive effects: Firstly new players will be immediately aware if they play a nightly version. (e.g. when supporting we can just ask them what colour their logo has) Players will be more aware that paksets are modules for simutrans, and can be replaced. It also looks cool :-)

An_dz

Quote from: sdog on November 11, 2010, 11:32:33 PM
one major gripe with the nightly logo though. If it's not supposed to be the earths shadow on the moon, a 3/4 full moon looks quite different:
First:
Did you though about if the shadow can be different for this factors: global position, time of day, season? If you go on wikipedia|Lunar Phase you can read on the second line:
Quote from: wikipedia
The lunar phases vary cyclically as the Moon orbits the Earth, according to the changing relative positions of the Earth, Moon and Sun.

I also found out that the truth is that it's not a quarter moon, but a Earthshine effect, there's a image very similar in wikipedia|Earthshine.

And second:
As I also told some posts ago, it's a logo, it needs to look cool not realistic. Some example:
Windows logo, it's the brightness coming from a window with 4 different color glasses. The space between them are equal and we all know that it's quite impossible, since the red light have a lower frequency then blue, making white light when getting into a different material doing red have a slightly different refraction than blue.

Turkey flag have a moon with a small circle inside that we can call a 'shadow' and it's impossible moon have such a small shadow circle inside it. The only way to happen this is looking from moon to earth, so moon shadow can make this effect on earth.

For Christians a white skin Jesus is crucified on His hands, and the reality is that probably He was crucified on His wrist, otherwise the hands will be cut and He will fall on the floor before death. And a white Jesus in middle east is nearly impossible, He probably had light brown skin like middle east people. Nobody in medieval era was going to kill the middle east people to conquer Jerusalem if they look-like Jesus.

Logos are logos, if looking for reality what about buying a train put it on a place with grass wait to get night and moon appear on a cool place, pray to not rain and take a pic? That way the reality is 100%

PS.:Don't want to look rude but we all know that the logo need to be cool. Nobody told Enzo that the horse muscle is not right or that the horse hair is wrong from reality on his logo.

Desaturating the tree might also make the logo look more nightly.
Good suggestion I'll be doing it until end of day.

I think the second experimental logo to be the best. I don't think it should be worried about confusing it with pak HD, that's distinctive enough.
I think now we can't use it anymore, the Experimental Logo version 2 now is the logo for pakHD, download version 0.4 and you'll see.

And at least someone talked about the Experimental version 3.0 and 3.1. But I still want to know which one is better.