News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Simutrans Logos

Started by An_dz, September 12, 2010, 05:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

Sorry An_dz, i did not want to sound unthankfull or overcritical. I am also quite aware that a logo does not have to be very accurate or realistic. The earthshine is also quite nice. It's just that the moon terminator has a completely different form and makes the moon a bit unrecognizable. The dark part of the moon has positive curvature (convex) in a lunar eclipse. It has negative curvature (concave) for a more than half full moon.

Don't forget the moon phases are not comming from the earths shadow on the moon, but from moon's night side not facing the sun.

The stylized moon for example in the turkish flag works, even if it is not physically accurate, because it is a small crescent shaped moon. The curvature of the terminator/occlusion shadow is the same. (i'm pretty sure the turkish flag shows a crescent moon, and not a almost total lunar eclipse, correct me if i am wrong.)

So again, i don't want to be overly critical, or demanding on physically highly accurate modeling. I only want to give an suggestion to get a very good Logo even better.

quite love your second try for the experimental logo, no wonder pak HD nicked it ;-)

The last experimental logo is i think the better one. but i'm not good to judge it as i don't like it a lot, it hasn't the clarity and power of your idea.

isidoro

An_dz, maybe it is just the combination of earthshine (realistic) and unrealistic shadow (a realistic one always goes from north pole to south pole) that seems strange (and therefore not so cool) to some of us.

And also, I wouldn't call the image of Christ "a logo" and it is not the best of examples I can think of, but I get your point.

An_dz

Don't worry I just wanted to point my view of the logo. When creating the moon I spent some hours until it looks cool, and that was the best I could do.

You said that the moon is unrecognizable. But when I tried to create the negative curvature it don't look cool, only if I add Earthligth effect it looks a bit better, but not there.

Quote from: isidoro on November 13, 2010, 12:09:19 AM
...(a realistic one always goes from north pole to south pole)...
That just completes what I'm talking above, the moon looks so strange that way. I can create the moon in 5 ways: full moon, realistic full moon(where there's a little part in shadow), first quarter, last quarter and new moon(not total new moon, but a ending last quarter).
What are the problem: last quarter and almost new moon make the moon almost invisible, there's too much dark side.
Full moon(realistic) look too strange you need to force the imagination to see that it's a moon. It looks more like a drawing error than anything.
The only option stay at first quarter moon, but it looks a little too much dark side, but less looks a little strange. That's the point.

But your commentary was important for a new change, now I rotated the moon a little and now it's really better, also desaturated the tree, What you think: (Everybody can comment too)
Version 3.3B

Version 3.3C

Quote from: sdog on November 13, 2010, 12:01:09 AM
Don't forget the moon phases are not comming from the earths shadow on the moon, but from moon's night side not facing the sun.
Don't worry I will remember.

isidoro

I like the changes of this version.  I specially like the first of the two.

Qayyum

To be honest, I never like Simutrans-Nightly logo. Somehow this white light thingy turned me off. Would be nice to change the colour into orange colour to suggest that it is sunset.
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

An_dz

There's nothing wrong, it's the lights of a distant city.

All right, I'm lying. ;D

Do you believe I never though about that? It's cause I only changed the blue color from the official logo to purple. Compare and you'll see.

New Logos:
New version 1.1 for Official Logo, the tree was moved down a little.
Version 1.1

Versions 3.4 for Nightly logo the tree was also moved and the white color Qayyum said is removed.
Version 3.4B

Version 3.4C

What you prefer guys 3.3 or 3.4?

skreyola

I like the newest versions of Official and Nightly. Not sure which of the Nightly logos I like better, but I don't use that version.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

An_dz

Quote from: skreyola on November 16, 2010, 07:53:00 PM
...but I don't use that version.
Sorry, I didn't understood.

And thanks for the feedback on the new versions.

skreyola

Quote from: An_dz on November 16, 2010, 11:17:45 PM
Sorry, I didn't understood.

And thanks for the feedback on the new versions.
I don't play Nightly.
--Skreyola

An_dz

Hi all I've created a logo for pak96.HD2 here it is:

Download link for PNG and SVG for this project
Also added to first post.

Still working in pak.comic version

Nico192

This is nice!
One thing: I changed pak96.HD into pakHD.HighTech, its similar to pak.Excentrique.
There are things like Bananahouse or Cheeseoffice.
So I beg you to change the "pak96.HD2" letters into "pakHD.HighTech".
The rest is perfect!

Thank you!

An_dz

OK I changed the name and also made some changes, the train now don't have the 'help draw' lines and now have a sketch effect on it's border.

You can download the HiDef PNG and SVG on same link above (or the one in first post). The file have the PNG and SVG for Version 1.0 and 2.0 and also the already made big-logo for use in pak.

Version 1.1

Nico192

Thanks!
I will use it in the pakset.

jap train fan

wow the logos are really good

sdog

@An_dz, i'll use your "simutrans experimental" logo for the blog posting of experimental's new release.

edit: I think the rounded form does not do very well besided a text, also the blue background is a bit strong on the light ocre backdrop. An_dz would you mind to mail me your inkscape file, so i could modify the logo for the blog? (Unless you would like to do it yourself of course.)

An_dz

I don't know what changes you want, and I'm out of time.
The download link is in first post under Download

sdog

Thanks, haven't seen you put download links for the graphics produced later on there. I'll have a look into it in the next couple of days.

here's my makeshift modification of the simutrans experimental logo for the blog. I used the ISO font used in technical drawings and put that ugly black frame of such drawings around the image. The name of the free font is ISOCPEUR.

skreyola

Quote from: sdog on June 07, 2011, 07:28:52 PM
here's my makeshift modification of the simutrans experimental logo for the blog. I used the ISO font used in technical drawings and put that ugly black frame of such drawings around the image. The name of the free font is ISOCPEUR.

I love it. This logo looks great for ST:E
--Skreyola

An_dz

Quote from: sdog on June 07, 2011, 07:28:52 PM

I just want to show with Simutrans text using the font I used over all other logos:

sdog

Thanks An_dz, i only noticed that 'Simutrans' was shifted after publishing it. The new heavier font you used looks quite better. Will use it for the next release 9.9

An_dz

pak192.Comic Logo. Cruzer asked it quite long time ago, but only now I'm releasing a first version for public. (Cruzer saw a first look of i
it).

Sorry, but no SVG for it.

Version 1.0

EDIT:
Sojo told once to create a comic version of official logo. I did it, but I don't liked it.
Sojo and Cruzer, or any other comic artist can give any color ideas for the logo.

vilvoh

The pak192.comic logo looks good although I would remove the tree at the front between the one and the nine. The pak96.comic seems too yellow for me.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

sojo

Really clean and colored the comic one. But it have a high recognition. So I like it. Have you a svg for me?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

An_dz

Course sojo, here's the link. I know you'll find the right colors.

Thanks for feedback.

An_dz

Reviving the topic with a new addition:
PAK128.CS

VaclavMacurek asked me, quite long time ago (August to be exact), to create a logo for the Pak128.CS, it was almost finished since September, but I got busy and couldn't think on what I should do to polish it. But now it's done.

As you can see, the tree and the train were changed. The train is Class 150, it operates in both Slovakia and Czech Republic, the paint job show both flags unified as one. The tree is a lime that, as Vaclav told me, is a national tree. In truth I'm thinking to change the tree to make it look more like the lime Vaclav sent me.

@Vaclav and the Czech Community:
Sorry for the long delay. And tell me if you want any changes. Consider as a X-mas gift. :)

VS

Wow! That's really beautiful...

Maybe I'm repeating myself, but you might want to render/save/show these logos on black, since that's how they will be in game. Doing the black background already in your editor allows antialiasing the image/black border, which will otherwise look.... less optimal :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

An_dz

Here's the black background version VS,
and the download link to the SVG, big PNG, and the optimized black background PNG (256x256 24bits PNG).

Download sources

Small note: All downloads, for all logos, are now ZIP.

prissi

The black background can be transparent, as this woudl save a lot of image size in the pak file. But that could be cured by a pixel fill, while still retaining aliasing.

VS

Absolutely yes, but not possible in previous state :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Emil Sawicki

An_dz, don't you think locomotive is too long? Also I like this logo, it's very nice.
Simutrans 123, Windows 10

Václav

Emil, you are right that it seems too long but if you would observe any train in few angles (and it will go very fast), then train would really look much longer than it is.

An_dz, at first glance there are two things that are at least strange:
- class 150 is electric, so at least electricity receiver should be in picture too (else it looks quite odd)
- view deformation of front side is really strange - because it becomes higher as it goes to backward; but I am not sure if it is right or not; perspective should cause that front side becomes lower as it goes to backward - a little

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

An_dz

I'll add the electrical receiver and also the powerlines.
I'll work better in the front. And it just looks higher, but it's the same height. The gradient gives this feeling.

Ashley

An_dz - I was wondering, would it be possible for you to create a version of the Simutrans logo which is fairly square and omits the Simutrans name? I need an icon for the new Mac distribution I am working on. Something around 512x512 (or indeed, a vector graphic which scales nicely to this kind of size). If you could make it look nice and Mac-icon-like that'd be a bonus :)

Thanks!
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

sdog

i should be intereted in that too, the round logo does look a bit awkward on the google plus page.

the simutrans text should be below though It can be rectangular, higher than wide, so it could just go below the square logo Timothyh requested, if that looks good. (adding something below a square is always a bit tricky)

An_dz

Sure Timolthy, It'll be somewhat difficult, I need to keep the idea, not totally destroying the original concept.

By the way I've created the iPhone/iPad app icon and the Launch image for it. I still need to create the App Store icon, but since you're requesting a square icon you might use it.

Here's the download link for the icons and Lauch image:
Download