News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

LongChallenge

Started by Matthi205, July 05, 2009, 06:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthi205

pak128,102.0,file:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/LongChallenge.sve
Really long 64x3xxx map
GOALS:Get all cities and all industries connected,net wealth of over 700.000,the morer population,the better.

PS:This is not supporting timeline because the map is so large that even having a A380 between 10 BIG cities wouldn't be really profitable.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Severous

An interesting map.

'Long' is a description of the map.  It is narrow yet very, very long. 

The mini map cannot get the whole length of the map in view even zoomed right out. 

Has anyone tried this?

Regards
Sev.

AP

I have played this format of map before, but have not tried this challenge. The very long maps pose particular logistical challenges in terms of traffic density, particularly in the middle of the map.

Severous

Hello AP. Thanks for the comment and tip about density in the middle.

Hmm. not sure I fancy such a 'long' game.  But I had a dabble.  Spent all my cash on the coal route which is right in the northern end of the map.  Too much capacity..the coal power station stock of coal is rising very fast. Estimating less than a year to reach maximum.

Ive got the mini map open here...see it along the right hand edge of the screen. Long and narrow. Perhaps it gives some idea of the scale of things. The whole map is forest so expensive to build land connections.
Regards
Sev.

Severous

I am still dabbling. 

Playing by a set of personal rules that restrict borrowing.  Once I build a route I must play without building anything more until I return to credit.  Once back in credit I can borrow again to build another route.

I will have to play a while after building the route to take Oil from the rig to the refinery. Quarter of a million in debt.  phew   :-[

What made we really smile as the big fleet of oil barges landed its cargo for the first time...itunes played the following lyrics "Face that launched a thousand ships".  Not quite a thousand ships...but they did land over a thousand crude.  ;D

I suspect im going to over produce gasoline very quickly with the new route. But I can stockpile crude indefinately here at the gas station. I've got over 10,000 coal at my Coal warehouse way up north by the power station..and same will happen here.  Nobody better light a match!
Regards
Sev.

KrazyJay

Unlike the previous challenge, I tried to play this one totally in my own style. Results (briefly): A huge deficit and quite expansion. I went bankrupt several times, so I didn't really play by the rules I suppose, but I got pretty decent growth figures and a nice network with still some traces of the pre-expansion phase.
SAVE GAME Screenshot
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Severous

Interesting save KrazyJay.  Never seen a highspeed rail game in Simutrans before.  Your top train has earned over 400,000!

I hadn't realized either that the map has water we have to cross if we are join everything.  May I ask why you choose ships rather than bridge the sea? 

A fan one stop per city I see.  Still you have plenty of passengers at some of the stations.

Thanks for posting the save/screenshot
Regards
Sev.

KrazyJay

Simutrans allowed me to have a pretty rare gameplay, I suppose.

I took ships rather than rail bridges because ships are far more common to transport passengers across seas than bridges, and tunneling is just not my thing under water, I never tried that out tbh.

Normally I start building networks with trains first, between cities. Later during a game I replace my random parking spots covering cities with trams. Buses except mail vans are a no-no for me, they never got me as "excited" as trains do basically.

On a later stage I connected a 100 mail and 100 passenger (manor house) attraction on the bottom isle and got my ships and trains running break-even there as well, expanded the rail network with a direct connection with a station east of Bochum rather than Aachen and degraded replaced the Aachen line with a local line from Aachen to a new direct station east of Flensburg.

SAVE GAME
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Severous

Ive got the industry all connectted and wealth is climbing nicely.

Next the dread passengers and the risk of absurd industry spawning.  Just waiting for cash to return to positive and will add the Rostock capital to the main industrial rail network..then planes for all the distant areas and linking it all together.

Edit:
Nearly done now. First plane has taken to the skys.  This type of aircraft looks much more profitable than all the others.

It flys over the oil type warehouses where over 50,000 is now stored.

Final Edit:

Im done!  Adding aircraft has been a huge money earner.  Profits exploding away.  Everything connected including all tourist attractions.

I never invested in fast trains. That pink one was the mainstay..just fast enough for speed bonuses..not that they matter much on freight. The longest rail route was chemicals to the print works. I could do with a more complex set up at the print works to control the imputs to ensure it doesnt go over the maximumsupplies.  No matter..its done. The long map was interesting.  Ideal for planes.
Regards
Sev.

Matthi205

:) My own challenge is too hard for me.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Severous

It was an great idea...a long narrow map.  Most unlike any game in any transport sim ive ever played.  Long distances just had to be good for aircraft.  Even if they circled the airport waiting to land the long distance travelled meant good profits.

Ive got a scenario made up and some words of introduction to get you in the mood.  Only 4months of game play. So probobly a 'short scenario'  :)  Just waiting on some feed back from the LeifInge before I let it loose on the forum. 
Regards
Sev.

Optimix

Quote from: Matthi205 on July 05, 2009, 06:53:36 AM
pak128,102.0,file:
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/LongChallenge.sve
Really long 64x3xxx map
GOALS:Get all cities and all industries connected,net wealth of over 700.000,the morer population,the better.

PS:This is not supporting timeline because the map is so large that even having a A380 between 10 BIG cities wouldn't be really profitable.

hey you there! Are you responsable for this crazy challenge?
:-))
I am getting crazy of it, and I cant count anymore, the times
I got bankrupt.......but now I finally am doing well.
The industries connected, and now the passengers....

May I ask you something about the games rules?
I think there is a contradiction in it.
(but it is also possible I dont understand it well)

Suppose
- player A is ready in july 1933 (everyting connected,
AND nethealth 700.001. Population 20.000
- player B has everything connected too, his final work
shows nethealth 8 million and population 60.000
Date is december 1948

Who is the winner of this challenge? :-)

I think it would be better, to delete the rule about the
population, and the final goal is, who can fix this in
the shortest (simutrans-) time.

Severous

I didnt play this as a challenge...more out of curiosity.  

I added a big extra rule on myself:  about not constantly borrowing. I had to wait until I was in credit before I added another part to the network.

And I enjoyed myself with vehicles ive never seen before.

It was good fun wasnt it !
Regards
Sev.

Matthi205

B would be the winner,because of the higher population and higher net wealth.

Optimix

Well, this is hard working :-)
I had connected all industries in june 1932.
But then the real work started. I decided to connect
all the cities by train, and that cost a lot of money.
Problem with these industries is, that it is fluctuating.
Some months I get a lot of money, some months I
lose money. (the chemicals train to the print-works in
the north, is a gold mine)

It is now july 1942, and I have connected with profitable
trains all cities between Hamburg in the north, and
Schwerin in the south. All the attractions between the
cities too.

Still 6 cities to go from Schwerin
to deep in the south of the map.
I guess I need 2 or 3 years to complete.

I NEED MONEY! :-)