News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Unable to compile

Started by whitefang, October 22, 2015, 12:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitefang

When I attempt to compile the latest version, I get an error.  It says that the build tools for v110_xp(Platform Toolset='v110_xp') cannot be found.  I am using the tutorial pinned at the top of the board, using MSVC 2012.

jamespetts

Hello and welcome to the forum! That sounds like you need to download the SDK, but I am not sure without the exact words of the error message. Have you tried running a search on the exact words of the error message to see whether there are any general solutions to this issue?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

whitefang

I've fixed the first issue (didn't install the update), but now it's returning me three error messages. The output looks like this:

1>------ Build started: Project: Simutrans-Experimental, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>zlibstat.lib(gzwrite.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ___stdio_common_vsprintf referenced in function _vsnprintf
1>zlibstat.lib(gzlib.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___stdio_common_vsprintf
1>.\simutrans\Simutrans-Experimental-debug.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

jamespetts

Ahh - it looks as though you need to download the zlib libraries. This should be the same as with Standard - have you looked at the Standard build tutorial? It should explain there how to do that.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

whitefang

I'm not sure what you mean by the zlib files; I have a file called zlibstat in the win32/library folder, and I have the files the Standard compile tutorial needs me to download.

Junna

That zlib stuff is really weird. I had trouble finding the correct version. Others didn't seem to work.

jamespetts

What MSVS project file are you using?

whitefang

The file is called Simutrans-Experimental.vcxproj

jamespetts

Can you try opening Simutrans-Experimental.sln instead?

whitefang

The same thing occurs; it starts the .vcxproj and I get the same error. 

DrSuperGood

I found the best solution was to build my own versions of the required libraries. It is possible any pre-built versions you find or use were built with older SDK versions and possibly older targets so are not compatible with newer SDK versions or higher target platforms. Both compression libraries should offer you obsolete visual studio projects in their source code. These can be easily migrated to newer MSVC versions and built as libraries. These libraries can then be statically linked into your build for convenience.

jamespetts

It looks as though you are missing the source file or library for vsprintf. That is not an issue that I have encountered myself, so I should be researching it from scratch as much as you; do you think that you could see what you need to do to get the relevant files?

whitefang

Ok, I've downloaded a precompiled Simutrans Experimental, but when I try to use makeobj to compile the pakset, I get this error:

FATAL ERROR: building_writer_t::writeobj()-signalbox is obsolete type for etrms-centre-large
Aborting program execution...

The rest of the pakset compiles properly, but the part about the signalboxes doesn't compile.

jamespetts

That's odd - that does look as though you are not using the latest makeobj-experimental from devel-new. Are you sure that you are using the command makeobj-experimental not just makeobj to run it?

fam621

James, I would to compile a .xcf file but got no compiler app to do so. HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :(

NoMorePacers

You will need to convert the .xcf file to .png, as that is what makeobj used to compile with the .dat file.

Ves

The way to go (presuming you are using GIMP) is this:

File -> Export As
and in the dialog appearing:
Add .png to the filename. You can also instead choose the *.png option in the dropdown meny.
When clicking save, another dialog appears. Just click "Export" to that one.
Now you should have a .png ready to use!

THEN you compile it together with a .dat file to create a .pak file :)

If you have not found this site yet, it is very usefull in describing how to do that along with a bunch of other things when creating addons: http://www.simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/en_doPak?structure=en_Devel_Index&latest=1&page_ref_id=463