News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Can I create a realistic simulation of Delhi City

Started by dilipdamle, November 07, 2009, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dilipdamle

Hello everyone,

I am not a gamer,

I am Dilip Damle (50)  based in New Delhi, India
I am a freelance Engineer.
I have expertise in Cad , and related fields.

I am interested to know if "Simutrans" can be used for a real
simulation of a complete city.

I am interested in simulating DELHI.
Can somobody point me in the right direction.

Rgds

Dilip Damle

DirrrtyDirk

From what I believe you mean... I'd say no.

First of all Simutrans really is a game. It is made for entertainment and fun - it's not a realistic, scientific or engineering simulation.

Also it is a transportation game, not a city simulator - i.e. your role in Simutrans is that of the head of a transportation company. You're not a mayor or city planner (although some editor tools allow you to actually fulfill some of their functions as well, but it is just a rudimentary set of tools and actions, a way of "cheating" in the actual game as some would call it.)

So, if you look for something that provides fun and entertainment, Simutrans is indeed a good option. But if you look for something that works as a simulator for the real world (maybe something you could even use for your job as an engineer) - no way! Cities in Simutrans are much too simplified for that.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

colonyan

This game is oriented toward construction and management of
public transportation. City only grows generally and only player's
performance affect there growth speed.

Not that specific city specialize in certain type of industry by any coding,
they just are placed randomly.

Also it is more the simulation of whole region/country than each city or
urban area.

So I see mainly three type of players
-Managers:Control of fleet
-Builders:Enjoys growing city
-Others: Many aspects

Hope you get the picture.
                                    -colonyan

VS

Hi Dilip! That depends on what is your idea of complete and real - but probably the answer is no :-(

Simutrans focuses most of its complexity on transport, and cities are modelled only to a degree that makes them plausible enough. For example infrastructure such as water and sewage pipes is not represented in any way. Same goes for any kind of urban planning... cities are built according to a set of rules that look like this:

where are roads and houses and empty space -> where will be new roads and houses

On the other hand, if all you want is only a Simutrans landscape that resembles some place in the world, and add trains and buses etc. - then it is perfectly possible. Somebody made such a model of Prague, I think.

PS: how come so many people write faster?!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

dilipdamle

OK,

I mean only TRANSPORTATION simulation.

Not a complete city simulation.

I basically want to know if Real To:Scale Maps and distances
can be created and Localities be marked as regions with a Population
and say a percentage of Population be targeted to Travel from
location1 to Location2 etc. etc.

This is  for a demonstration not for serious work.
I only want the maps to be real.

Rgds

Dilip Damle

colonyan

You can imitate city structure up to certain degree if you can
tolerate limit in road size and direction due to the fact that it is
rectangular tile based map unlike recent completely3d city simulation game.
Also, all city building unit is fixed at smallest 1x1.

Edit: also, there will be some private vehicle running but they are more like
       graphical eye candy and to interfere your company/organization owned
       vehicle.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: dilipdamle on November 07, 2009, 03:57:41 PM
I mean only TRANSPORTATION simulation.

Not a complete city simulation.

So far, so good...

Quote from: dilipdamle on November 07, 2009, 03:57:41 PM
I basically want to know if Real To:Scale Maps and distances
can be created and Localities be marked as regions with a Population
and say a percentage of Population be targeted to Travel from
location1 to Location2 etc. etc.

Scale & distances... that's kind of a problem in Simutrans. It uses many different scales mixed in... for example a train that is created to be 200m long in railroad vehicle scale, might end up 5km long on the assumed distance scale. Road vehicles are again different, so are aircraft and so are buildings... so that takes a little getting used to.

You can create "cities" in Simutrans - or use a number of them to simulate a bigger metropolis, by having each "Simutrans city" only represent a certain district or neighborhood instead of the whole city. However you cannot really arrange how many people will want to travel from A to B - that's what Simutrans decides on its own. Also Simutrans has its own logic of what available routes passengers will take. For example, if you have several trains with a capacity of over 1000 each, and a single small bus with a capacity of just 25 or so, running between the same stations A and B, you might end up having all people using (or waiting for) the bus while nobody rides the trains. Simutrans requires you to build networks according to its own game-logic - not as they are in real life. So I have a little doubt that it will work as you want it to...

But I suppose it's best if you just download Simutrans together with some advanced state savegame (is that Prague scenario still around somewhere?) and judge for yourself, according to your needs, as we can only guess at what exactly you want it to do.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

prissi

I saw once a fairly good simulation of Hongkong, with 5000 busses running on several hunderd lines correctly. Even without private cars it was a complete mess, causing deadlocks and so on. I heard the map was built over several year (and I gladly believe this). So I say a model of traffic flows is possible; But the effort would be considerable.

dilipdamle

Quote from: prissi on November 07, 2009, 07:55:30 PM
I saw once a fairly good simulation of Hongkong, with 5000 busses running on several hunderd lines correctly. Even without private cars it was a complete mess, causing deadlocks and so on. I heard the map was built over several year (and I gladly believe this). So I say a model of traffic flows is possible; But the effort would be considerable.

Can you please give me a brief outline of the procedure involved in doing this.
I have CAD data for the city PLUS I can manipulate data by programming accross
applications so I consider it as a Possible Challenge may be, it will take years OK
RGds

Dilip Damle

prissi

There is not automated way to generating stations. Simutrans has also no scripting support. If I had to do this, I would add a simple scripting engine to make the roads, and probably also the stops and the lines. But I am not sure any automatic procedure will work, as the scales are really different.

vilvoh

Quote from: VS on November 07, 2009, 03:55:52 PM
Somebody made such a model of Prague, I think.

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on November 07, 2009, 04:42:53 PM
(is that Prague scenario still around somewhere?)

The Prague map is still available in the archive. It was for 99.17 pak128....http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/07646.0/index.html

A simulation of London transport network...http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=402.0

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...