News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Bug: items for sale in depot change positions when click

Started by AP, December 10, 2017, 06:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

In the depot, if you try to purchase e.g. horses, the first click gets you "what you want" but then the icons reorder themselves. So triple clicking does not get you three the same.

This is really annoying!

jamespetts

This is not a bug, but an inherent aspect of the design of the depot window, which is also present in Standard. It works in this way because you can see only the things that you can place in the next available slot in a convoy. This changes when you purchase a vehicle, as a different set of things can go next in a convoy than can go first in a convoy.

It would be good if there were somehow a way of dealing with the user interface issue that you experience whilst maintaining the necessary feature that I explain. I do not know whether anyone has thought of such a way of doing things, and I am afraid that I have such a long queue of extremely time consuming tasks that I am unlikely to be able to turn my attention to this for many years, but if anyone else would like to code a solution to this issue, I should gladly incorporate it provided that it works well and makes sense.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

This is not part of standard. In Extended it pushes elements of the convoy to the far top of the component selection list in the order they were selected. In standard it just shows/hides elements as appropriate and does not put elements of the current convoy at the top of the convoy component selection list.

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 11, 2017, 02:21:55 AM
This is not part of standard. In Extended it pushes elements of the convoy to the far top of the component selection list in the order they were selected. In standard it just shows/hides elements as appropriate and does not put elements of the current convoy at the top of the convoy component selection list.

Is this before or after the new depot sorting algorithm in Standard?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

DrSuperGood

QuoteIs this before or after the new depot sorting algorithm in Standard?
Before, since I have not played with the new algorithm yet.

AP

I think part of the problem is lots of 'vehicles' looking the same (e.g. 12 kinds of horses). Maybe if it had a lag between 'most recent click' and the reshuffle, long enough to allow for multiple clicks, that would be sufficient to make it less painful.

jamespetts

Thank you for letting me know. I think that this must have been changed many years ago when the vehicle replacement feature was added. This is not a bug, however, although I agree that it would be better if this could be changed, as I do not understand the purpose of having the currently selected vehicle to the far top in the component selection (although I should note that, even if this were changed, this would not fully reverse the behaviour described by AP).