Started by taos, June 20, 2015, 06:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taos

Based on the changelog.txt from the pak128 repository, I came up with
COPYRIGHT="2004-2007 Tomas Kubes
2008-2013 Vladimir Slavik
2014 Gauthier Nottret
2009-2014 The pak128-Team"

as copyright entry in a haikuporter recipe for pak128.

I'm not sure if this correct. Where can I find more information?

DrSuperGood

Here
That is "The pak128-Team" which still make pak128 so still own the copyright.

The licence is likely one of the open source ones (probably the same as the Simutrans game since pak128 is part of it to some extent), you will need to inquire which.

taos

So, the copyright entry should be:

COPYRIGHT="2004-2007 Tomas Kubes
2008-2015 The pak128-Team"

?

gauthier

I can't find such file, could you tell where exactly did you find it ? I don't even remember having added myself there  :-X

DrSuperGood

QuoteI can't find such file, could you tell where exactly did you find it ? I don't even remember having added myself there
I think they are scattered around all over the place and on various assets. I think the best solution would be to write a "licence.txt" and put it in the root folder of pak128 which quotes the sort of licence the pak is under as well as authors which contributed at some stage. Every time a new author contributes something you then add his name to the list in that file. Individual source files could still have their authors commented in as proof of work but probably do not require licencing information as they are part of the pak.

taos

Just for clarification why I asked the question:

Haikuporter is a tool to download, patch, compile and package ported software for Haiku. In order to work, haikuporter needs a "recipe" (similar to gentoo portage system). Apart from a "technical" part (that actually builds and installs software), it contains a short summary, a description, information about homepage, source url, kind of licence, and copyright.
When I decided to write a recipe for simutrans, pak64, and pak128, I started to look for this information. Most things were easy to find out, starting from the simutrans homepage and following the links. Summary and description (incl. pak128) can be found there. License type is Artistic (for simutrans, pak64, and pak128) - easily found in the source code. Copyright for simutrans and pak64 (1997-2004 Hj. Malthaner, 2005-2015 The Simutrans Team) is shown when starting simutrans. This translates into the following copyright entry in the recipe file:
COPYRIGHT="1997-2004 Hj. Malthaner
2005-2014 The Simutrans Team"

But what about pak128? There's pak128/pak128.prototype/doc /changelog.txt from the source code that mentions the names in my first post (and since 2009 the pak128-team).
DrSuperGood pointed me to a thread started in 2008 on this forum that mentions the members of pak128 team that include most of these names - hence the shortened list in my second post.

DrSuperGood

QuoteHaikuporter is a tool to download, patch, compile and package ported software for Haiku. In order to work, haikuporter needs a "recipe" (similar to gentoo portage system). Apart from a "technical" part (that actually builds and installs software), it contains a short summary, a description, information about homepage, source url, kind of licence, and copyright.
Surely the paksets do not need any form of porting? They are just binary data that should work on any file system (the same build of pak128 works on Windows, Mac and Linux). Or does Haiku use some very strange file system which does not understand files and folders? To install pak128 on my Windows system I unpacked it from the link provided in the forums.

If this is not the case then there must be some portability issue.

QuoteDrSuperGood pointed me to a thread started in 2008 on this forum that mentions the members of pak128 team that include most of these names - hence the shortened list in my second post.
Except the topic creator post says this...
Quote« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:25:51 PM by VS »
Hence the information is only 4 months old.

gauthier

Pak128 features a loooot of objects from a loooot of authors, quoting them all should give something like this:
(from pak128.prototype/authors.txt)
QuoteImage Authors:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(In no specific order.)

Georg Heiduk - MHz
Guillermo Mateo - Raven
Patrick Nesbitt - PMNV
Tomas Kubes - Canonball
James Starr
Andreas Jahle - shorty139aj
Fabio Gonella - fagonella
Robbe Johnson - rmax500
Marcel - Blackbox
Sergey Kroytor
Michel (Evil) Tsui
Vladimir Slavik - VSYS
Ad van Gerwen - AvG
Ondrej Zapletal - OnDRej - ReAnimator
Jan Polacek  - Jerome Heretic
Jan Licka - Sindor
Stefan Wuttich - MiP
timeshock2003
Flor Wauters
Hansjoerg Malthaner - Hajo
Peter J. Dobrovka
Markus Weber
Timothy Baldock
Masao Kasuga - Haru
propermike
Viktor Janeba
Frans van Nispen
Lukasz Remis
Isaac Eiland-Hall
Paul Szczepanek
Sergei Brujhanov
Patrick Sintzel - Joker
Rick
Seth C. Triggs
Jakob Sack - powersack
Christopher Joice
Albert Ruiz - Zeno
Tomas Padevet - TommPa9
Vit Stejnar - Vitus
Shunter
Martin
Dirk Weingran - DirrrtyDirk
Shishido Yoshihiro - yoshi
Xavier - vilvoh
Pawel Szczepanek
Karl Cheung
Mark Norman
Tetsui Watanabe - Nabe
Jakub Coufal - Gelion
Zkou2
Krysztof Suchecki - DanteDarkstar
Gouv
Jakob Schaefer
Kristian Koerselman - Stormoog
Timothy Baldock
Rick McGreal - Trikky
Kieron Green
Ondrej Zarevucky
Karl Siegemund - Sique
Alexander Brose
Asterix909
Monatetsu
Kikin Sharyo
Haguruma
SHI
kei
Andreas
Benjamin Siegel - Bennhardt
Cpt. Robert
HIBARI
Hinoto
J. Sawabushi
leedsnut
Teddy
Timeshock
Tobu
Boomer
MHD
It's probably not up to date, as many objects were removed or added ... Then I think that "pak128 team" is the best choice.

Also, there is a license.txt in the repository:

QuoteArtistic License 2.0

Copyright (c) 2000-2006, The Perl Foundation.

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed.
Preamble

This license establishes the terms under which a given free software Package may be copied, modified, distributed, and/or redistributed. The intent is that the Copyright Holder maintains some artistic control over the development of that Package while still keeping the Package available as open source and free software.

You are always permitted to make arrangements wholly outside of this license directly with the Copyright Holder of a given Package. If the terms of this license do not permit the full use that you propose to make of the Package, you should contact the Copyright Holder and seek a different licensing arrangement.
Definitions

"Copyright Holder" means the individual(s) or organization(s) named in the copyright notice for the entire Package.

"Contributor" means any party that has contributed code or other material to the Package, in accordance with the Copyright Holder's procedures.

"You" and "your" means any person who would like to copy, distribute, or modify the Package.

"Package" means the collection of files distributed by the Copyright Holder, and derivatives of that collection and/or of those files. A given Package may consist of either the Standard Version, or a Modified Version.

"Distribute" means providing a copy of the Package or making it accessible to anyone else, or in the case of a company or organization, to others outside of your company or organization.

"Distributor Fee" means any fee that you charge for Distributing this Package or providing support for this Package to another party. It does not mean licensing fees.

"Standard Version" refers to the Package if it has not been modified, or has been modified only in ways explicitly requested by the Copyright Holder.

"Modified Version" means the Package, if it has been changed, and such changes were not explicitly requested by the Copyright Holder.

"Original License" means this Artistic License as Distributed with the Standard Version of the Package, in its current version or as it may be modified by The Perl Foundation in the future.

"Source" form means the source code, documentation source, and configuration files for the Package.

"Compiled" form means the compiled bytecode, object code, binary, or any other form resulting from mechanical transformation or translation of the Source form.
Permission for Use and Modification Without Distribution

(1) You are permitted to use the Standard Version and create and use Modified Versions for any purpose without restriction, provided that you do not Distribute the Modified Version.
Permissions for Redistribution of the Standard Version

(2) You may Distribute verbatim copies of the Source form of the Standard Version of this Package in any medium without restriction, either gratis or for a Distributor Fee, provided that you duplicate all of the original copyright notices and associated disclaimers. At your discretion, such verbatim copies may or may not include a Compiled form of the Package.

(3) You may apply any bug fixes, portability changes, and other modifications made available from the Copyright Holder. The resulting Package will still be considered the Standard Version, and as such will be subject to the Original License.
Distribution of Modified Versions of the Package as Source

(4) You may Distribute your Modified Version as Source (either gratis or for a Distributor Fee, and with or without a Compiled form of the Modified Version) provided that you clearly document how it differs from the Standard Version, including, but not limited to, documenting any non-standard features, executables, or modules, and provided that you do at least ONE of the following:

(a) make the Modified Version available to the Copyright Holder of the Standard Version, under the Original License, so that the Copyright Holder may include your modifications in the Standard Version.
(b) ensure that installation of your Modified Version does not prevent the user installing or running the Standard Version. In addition, the Modified Version must bear a name that is different from the name of the Standard Version.
(c) allow anyone who receives a copy of the Modified Version to make the Source form of the Modified Version available to others under
(i) the Original License or
(ii) a license that permits the licensee to freely copy, modify and redistribute the Modified Version using the same licensing terms that apply to the copy that the licensee received, and requires that the Source form of the Modified Version, and of any works derived from it, be made freely available in that license fees are prohibited but Distributor Fees are allowed.
Distribution of Compiled Forms of the Standard Version or Modified Versions without the Source

(5) You may Distribute Compiled forms of the Standard Version without the Source, provided that you include complete instructions on how to get the Source of the Standard Version. Such instructions must be valid at the time of your distribution. If these instructions, at any time while you are carrying out such distribution, become invalid, you must provide new instructions on demand or cease further distribution. If you provide valid instructions or cease distribution within thirty days after you become aware that the instructions are invalid, then you do not forfeit any of your rights under this license.

(6) You may Distribute a Modified Version in Compiled form without the Source, provided that you comply with Section 4 with respect to the Source of the Modified Version.
Aggregating or Linking the Package

(7) You may aggregate the Package (either the Standard Version or Modified Version) with other packages and Distribute the resulting aggregation provided that you do not charge a licensing fee for the Package. Distributor Fees are permitted, and licensing fees for other components in the aggregation are permitted. The terms of this license apply to the use and Distribution of the Standard or Modified Versions as included in the aggregation.

( 8) You are permitted to link Modified and Standard Versions with other works, to embed the Package in a larger work of your own, or to build stand-alone binary or bytecode versions of applications that include the Package, and Distribute the result without restriction, provided the result does not expose a direct interface to the Package.
Items That are Not Considered Part of a Modified Version

(9) Works (including, but not limited to, modules and scripts) that merely extend or make use of the Package, do not, by themselves, cause the Package to be a Modified Version. In addition, such works are not considered parts of the Package itself, and are not subject to the terms of this license.
General Provisions

(10) Any use, modification, and distribution of the Standard or Modified Versions is governed by this Artistic License. By using, modifying or distributing the Package, you accept this license. Do not use, modify, or distribute the Package, if you do not accept this license.

(11) If your Modified Version has been derived from a Modified Version made by someone other than you, you are nevertheless required to ensure that your Modified Version complies with the requirements of this license.

(12) This license does not grant you the right to use any trademark, service mark, tradename, or logo of the Copyright Holder.

(13) This license includes the non-exclusive, worldwide, free-of-charge patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import and otherwise transfer the Package with respect to any patent claims licensable by the Copyright Holder that are necessarily infringed by the Package. If you institute patent litigation (including a cross-claim or counterclaim) against any party alleging that the Package constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then this Artistic License to you shall terminate on the date that such litigation is filed.

(14) Disclaimer of Warranty: THE PACKAGE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES. THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY YOUR LOCAL LAW. UNLESS REQUIRED BY LAW, NO COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTOR WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THE PACKAGE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

taos

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 23, 2015, 10:24:24 PM
Surely the paksets do not need any form of porting? They are just binary data that should work on any file system (the same build of pak128 works on Windows, Mac and Linux). Or does Haiku use some very strange file system which does not understand files and folders? To install pak128 on my Windows system I unpacked it from the link provided in the forums.

If this is not the case then there must be some portability issue.

1.) Yes, if you want you can call Haiku strange :). For about 2 years now, Haiku (or rather the Haiku nightly builds which will eventually become the next official alpha/beta release) has used a rather uncommon approach to package management (PM). Packages (.hpkg extension) contain a virtual file system that is virtually expanded during boot (that's different to unpacking a zip or another compressed archive). Content of all packages is merged and - for a user running Haiku - then looks almost exactly like a pre-PM Haiku file tree - with one very important exception: apart from your home directory almost all other directories are read-only. If you want to use a convenient way to install software (and also find it in your application menu) - and you therefore use package management - your application folders  are also read-only - so you can't just expand your downloaded zip file there (same reason why the included .sh scripts to download paksets don't work out of the box). Of course, for a power user, it is still possible to copy the files to the appropriate "non-packaged" folders to get it to work, but that takes time and - believe me - only a dedicated simutrans user would go through it. For a user who browses HaikuDepot (the graphical frontend to the package manager) looking for "transport simulation" it is much easier to download and install a simutrans package and one of the available pakset files at the same time (having just the simutrans binary without a pakset doesn't make sense). Haikuporter is the tool used to produce these packages. It needs the aforementioned recipe files on the one hand to compile (or for pure data files to download and re-package) software and on the other to provide information about  the software (homepage, source url, description, license, copyright,...) that is fed into HaikuDepot  so that a user can learn about a certain package before he/she installs it. The recipe doesn't replace any license file, list of authors, etc that is part of the standard simutrans(-pakset) zip file it just gives the user an overview without having to actually download it or having to search through the source code. You can for example click on the license entry and read the license text or click on the homepage entry and visit the simutrans homepage to learn more about the project. As soon as a user decides to download and install the package, it is expanded and has - for the user - exactly the same directory structure as if it was installed in the traditional way (downloading/expanding the zip files in a folder under e.g. /system/apps/) on a pre-PM Haiku alpha 4 release, even the included config files can be edited (little trick that's included in the technical part of the recipe).

Update: Sorry, forgot to mention that at the same time a package with a compiled version is generated by haikuporter a source package is created containing the original source code (I think Haiku specific patches are included in a separate subfolder of the same package).

2.) The two pakset recipes that are already available for haikuporter just download a pakset zip from sourceforge, expand it, put everything in the correct virtual directory, make sure that config files can still be edited, and re-package everything as .hpkg. They might work for most of the pakset features on 32 and 64 bit systems. However, at least on Haiku 64 bit, you can't play scenarios if you don't compile the pakset yourself (see http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=14655.0). That's not pak128 specific (I just didn't notice that the same is true for pak64 at first). For this reason, I provided updated recipes that make architecture specific pakset packages that include working scenarios on 32bit and 64 bit systems.

Quote from: gauthier on June 24, 2015, 04:52:26 AM
Pak128 features a loooot of objects from a loooot of authors, quoting them all should give something like this:
(from pak128.prototype/authors.txt)It's probably not up to date, as many objects were removed or added ... Then I think that "pak128 team" is the best choice.

If you insist I could actually list everyone (I think there's no size limit for recipes) - as long as I could also find out during which years those people were part of the pak128 team. But it's probably a better idea to just use "pak128 team". Otherwise the haikuporter guys may think that I'm going overboard ;)

Quote from: DrSuperGood on June 23, 2015, 10:24:24 PM
Except the topic creator post says this...Hence the information is only 4 months old.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean (not a native speaker here). I was referring to the year of the first post in the pak128 member thread. From that I deduced that there must have already been a pak128 team in 2008. That closed the time gap between Tomas Kubes as author/maintainer/copyright holder/whatever until 2007 and the year (2009) when pak128 team was first mentioned in the pak128/pak128.prototype/doc /changelog.txt file. If there already was a pak128 team in 2004 (with Tomas Kubes as a member) I'll adjust the copyright entry for the haikuporter recipe accordingly. That's why I asked, I was not able to find it out myself and didn't want to use wrong copyright information.