News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Does Tilecutter remove special night colors?

Started by vilvoh, February 24, 2009, 11:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

I had this two images from a Cargo Terminal (1,2) from winter and summer versions of the building. I used special night colors for windows, as you can see from this Shades 5.1.0 screenshot:

However, when I use the lastest version of Tilecutter (0.5.1) for chopping those images, it removes the special night colors:

I've used #57656f and #c1b1d1 for the windows, and #ffff53 for streetlights. Perhaps I'm using the old or wrong night colors but as Shades 5.1.0 recognize them as such, I think it may be a matter of Tilecutter.

Example: Tilecutter has changed #ffff53 by #ffff52

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

AFAICT there were no changes to special colours since adding of secondary pc. Which was ages ago.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

I'll check if this happens with previous versions (0.3.1 or lower) and other png files.

Ashley

Well it certainly shouldn't do this, and I can't think of any reason why it would unless there's some bug in the underlying libraries that deal with images. I'll take a look.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

VS

You might want to check if the libraries interpret gamma values... it's the first thing I could think of that would cause colour shift. Admittedly that is not so much of a lead :(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

I can confirm this does not happen with previous versions.

Ashley

Vilvoh, could you please upload the original png file you're experiencing this issue with? I haven't been able to reproduce the problem so far, it might be a gamma issue so having the original file would be very helpful, thanks.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.

vilvoh

The files are at graphics.simutrans.com. Go to User galleries >> Vilvoh >> Freight planes >> HKE Cargo Facility & HKE Cargo Facility winter.

Ashley

Hm, the file for HKE Cargo Facility doesn't appear to contain correct night colours, downloading this and opening it in Shades reveals none. Running it through TileCutter similarly produces no Night Colours

The winter version has correct night colours, and running it through TileCutter preserves these correctly.

I don't really know what to check next tbh?

vilvoh

Did you check them separately? I mean, I enabled winter images, and I loaded both versions (winter and summer) and adjust the four views. Then Tilecutter processed all and merge both images in a big one. Perhaps there's something wrong in that last stage.

Ashley

Ok, tested some more, I downloaded both the summer and winter versions of the "HKE terminal" from the graphics website. I've loaded them both into TileCutter as summer/winter images, with 4 rotations, then exported both.

Loading the resulting output png into Shades reveals that the sections of the image which previously had night colours (e.g. the Winter version) still have them in the output, and the bits which didn't (e.g. the Summer version) do not.

I'll attach the input/output files. Could you test again to see if you get the same output from the files on the graphics website? Maybe these are slightly different for some reason?

Also, which OS are you using?

vilvoh

Maybe. I'll test them later.

I'm using Win XP SP2.

vilvoh

I've made some test and you're right. In the case of HKE, It was my fault because the summer version didn't have night colors. However, I've done another test with GBi Cargo to ensure but happens the same. Tilecutter removes the special night colors... :-\

The shades preview:

Tilecutter output after processing and cutting:

Ashley

Vilvoh, I am afraid that I am not seeing the same behaviour, I downloaded "GBi Air Cargo Terminal raw " from http://graphics.simutrans.com/displayimage.php?album=23&pos=17 using right-click, save image as. I then used TileCutter to cut the image, and the output retains its special colours as expected.

Could you please email me the exact input png file you are using which is producing this effect from your local machine? Also, which program are you using to save these png files? I believe that this may be a result of the local copies having some kind of gamma or transparency values set which get stripped when the files are uploaded to the graphics website, but without the original files to test I am unable to replicate this problem, sorry.

vilvoh

I'm going to send you the files. I used GIMP 2.6.4 windows version, and I'm also afraid it may be due to the gamma or transparency, because I used the erase tool to remove some pixels.

P.S: I've sent you the files to the email that appears in your forum profile.