News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Do you have suggestions how to name the lines?

Started by bahner, November 06, 2014, 08:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahner

As the cities and industry grows there are more lines.
What names do you give the lines so you are not getting confused?
Could you give me suggestions on how to name the lines?

Currently I name like this:
Birmington Mail --- mail in city
Birmington Passenger --- passenger in city
Concrete - factory --- getting concrete to a factory

Spenk009

The problem with your line names is that the type of goods is never going to be on the same line in the line list. If we look at your list of three lines, what happens if you have a place named Hill and Atown? And if we have two lines for concrete to different locations?

Atown Passenger
Birmington Mail
Birmington Passenger
Concrete - factory
Hill Passenger

It's five entries and already a mess. I suggest you take one to three letters (two is my compromise) and then a three digit number to define a line. After that you can write where it is and/or what it does. Check the attachment for an example of my solution

DrSuperGood

I start by appending the type of cargo to the front (often as a short chain of latters such as "PM" for passenger and mail). Then I append the style of line (only really applicable to experimental) such as FLOW for continuous streams with regular or no waits. Then if it is moving to a major hub I have the origin name minus the stop type affix. If it is between major hubs I put EX and then list the hubs with arrows showing main flow direction. Passenger lines are given city names with their style (commuter, outskirts etc) as they have too many stops to name. Big passenger lines connecting many cities are given unique names as only a few will ever really exist (sub-ocean tunnels, huge highspeed line etc).

It works reasonably. I have been doing it on the Experimental server and have probably several hundred lines by now.

Ters

I have city names first, and have no problems with having different types of goods scattered throughout the list. My main problems is which city is first for intercity lines, especially in the core, where I can't use the hubwise city first, as both are hubs. I could have sorted them alphabetically, but I've actually never thought of it while playing. The names just end up in the direction I first sent the vehicles.

Furthermore, passenger lines have no specifier. If nothing else is given, that is implied, since passenger carrying lines is the biggest group. Initially, trains also tend to be mixed passenger and mail.

agef

Hi there,

my pattern for local passenger/mail lines:

(###) consecutive number of all lines (may be shorter on small maps)
abreviation for the kind of transport (i.e. shp, bus, trk, trn, air...)
pass or mail or pama for the kind of freight
name of city
and finaly 'line #' as the number of the in that city

for freight lines and inter-city passenger/mail lines:

(###) consecutive number of all lines (may be shorter on small maps)
abreviation for the kind of transport (see above)
abreviation for the kind of freight (i.e. grn, coa, oil...)
name or short name of city of origin (for example: Queens)
->
name or short name of city of destination (for example: Brookl)

May look a bit complicated, but that's only a question of getting used to it...

Bye

agef

Václav

I use following styles for line names:

City road public transportation:
Public transportation _ City _ "available types* + number"
for example: MHD Sázava "AP 01" (if trolleybus is not available)
for example: MHD Sázava "ATP 01" (if trolleybus is available)

City rail/other public transportation:
Public transportation _ City _ "type + number"
for example: MHD Sázava "M 01"
for example: MHD Sázava "T 01"

Inter city public transportation:
Passengers (/post) / Type + number: Place 1 - place 2
for example: Lidé/Pošta Z01: Kolín - Ledečko

Freight transportation:
Good _ type + number: Target
for example: Len V01: Textilka Liberec

types:
A: autobus (bus)
P: pošta (post)
T: trolejbus, tramvaj (trolleybus or tram)
Z: železnice (railway)
M: maglev, metro (maglev or metro/underground)
L: letadla (aircraft)
V: lodě - voda (ships)
J: jednokolejka (monorail)

.. and of course, I sometime change line names in accordance with area where they operate. It is because I use central depots for easing of vehicle assignment to lines (even if vehicles have to pass some distance before they approach to home station)

So, all lines of inter city public transportation that start in ones city, have close numbers.

For example:
Lidé/Pošta Z01: Kolín - Ledečko
Lidé/Pošta Z02: Kolín - Pečky
Lidé/Pošta Z03: Kolín - Nymburk
Lidé/Pošta Z04: Ústí nad Labem - Chomutov
Lidé/Pošta Z05: Ústí nad Labem - Děčín
Lidé/Pošta Z06: Ústí nad Labem - Praha

... and similar it is in case of freight transportation, where home station is prior to target station. So, if (for example) one coal mine supports two power plants (and one of them is supplied from one another coal mine) and one steel mill, then lines to power plant have not to have close numbers.

For example:
Uhlí Z01: EPru
Uhlí Z02: EPo
Uhlí Z03: EPru

where EPru has two suppliers, but the first supplier support also EPo. EPru is abbreviation from Elektrárna Prunéřov, EPo is abbr. from Elektrárna Počerady.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

moogal

I tend to play mostly with passenger networks so use the following system:

Buses:
Numbered sequentially, with town names or sometimes invented area names in big cities.
For "express" intercity routes I often put X in front.
e.g.
1. Liverpool - Bath
2. City Centre - Railway Station
X3. London - Aberdeen

Other transport:
Classified by route with identifiers for the type. Trams, metro and local routes are usually named by the area.
[T] = Tramway, usually numbered similarly to buses. e.g. [T] T1. Liverpool Tramway
[M] = Metro route, often underground, slow with frequent stops. e.g. [M] Leicester Underground
[L] = Local route, frequent stops, e.g. for industries/tourist attractions. e.g. [L] Bradford East Industry

Faster regional/intercity routes are usually named by the ends of the routes, as are ships and air.
[R] = Regional routes, medium-fast trains stopping only once per town. e.g. [R] Norwich - Derby
[I ] = Intercity routes, high speed trains with few stops. e.g. [I ] London - Edinburgh
[S ] = Shipping routes. e.g. [S ] Derby - Aberdeen
[A ] = Air routes. e.g. [A ] Exeter - Liverpool

Drewthegreat87

Here's my system. It's a more simplified version of what I've done in the past. While bored at work, I came up with a whole system patterned after the BR (I think they still use this...) four letter/number train code system: 1V13 for example. That became too complicated, so I just started using a letter code system for land transport.

Railways:

Format Example: IC: Staines - Sutherland Midland (Station name) Line, IC: Dumfries - Tonbridge Line

ICEx: (Intercity express with three or less stops)
IC: Intercity Rail Service (Less than five stops usually, stops are also junctions or major hubs)
R: Regional: All stops between major hubs
S: Suburban Service: Local intracity suburban service, platform length 6 tiles usually
IG: Intercity Goods (Goods service between major goods depots
G: Local Goods from factories/raw materials, end users
WX: Withdrawl Line: Used to store out of service equipment

Coach/Bus/Truck lines

Example: B/M: Coventry North Bus

B: Bus only
IB: Intercity Bus
M: Mail
T: Truck Goods
B/M: Bus and Mail line
IB/M: Intercity Bus and Mail

I don't build airports in my games.

For ships, I just label them as such: Barge, Ferry, Ship (overseas shipping, goods only)