News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Driving on the Left

Started by burgi, September 02, 2008, 12:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgi

I have been playing SimuTrans in freeplay mode for several months. Being British it kind of niggled me that the trucks and buses drove on the right so I decided to try the Japanese pak. I wasn't too happy with this pak so I went back to pak128. Then I noticed in a help file somewhere that you could manually set the side of the road to drive on. I did this and fired up a new map. The buses still drove on the right. Am I doing something wrong?

Also I noticed that the song MIDIs are being loaded even when the sound is muted. Is this normal?

Thanks

John

vilvoh

simuconf.tab at config folder, display stuff section:

# (=1) drive on the left side of the road
drive_left = 0

I've tested it with 64pak- 100.0 and it works.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

DirrrtyDirk

About the the midi - have you tried loading simutrans with the "-nomidi" parameter, or did you just click the mute button in the options window?

And in addition to vilvoh's tip: for the simuconf.tab file, you need to be careful to use the right one. IIRC the last one that is read (overruling all previous entries), is the one located in the simutrans\pakXYZ\config folder.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

burgi

AHA! Thanks guys. I had edited the simuconf.tab file in \simutrans\config folder instead of the one in the \simutrans\pak128\config

I had just clicked on the mute button in the options window. The "-nomidi" thing worked. Why does just muting the game keep loading the music? Is there not a way to just stop loading the music and thus freeing up some RAM?

Thanks again

John

jbode

Quote from: burgi on September 02, 2008, 01:08:49 AM
AHA! Thanks guys.

fine! Even though I can't understand to drive on the left side ;) Hmmm, beside its the passing lane on the Autobahn ... <SCNR>

Quote from: burgi on September 02, 2008, 01:08:49 AM
I had just clicked on the mute button in the options window. The "-nomidi" thing worked. Why does just muting the game keep loading the music? Is there not a way to just stop loading the music and thus freeing up some RAM?

"mute" just means "shut up and wait until I want to hear it again" ... - why should Simutrans neglect the possible "I want to hear it again"???

I always play with -nomidi -nosound option - there is enough noise in the world. Maybe have some self chosen MP3 in parallel.

Best Regards

Jörg

burgi

Quote from: jbode on September 02, 2008, 06:51:42 AM
fine! Even though I can't understand to drive on the left side ;) Hmmm, beside its the passing lane on the Autobahn ... <SCNR>
I am lead to believe it has something to do with jousting... *shrug*
On the subject of overtaking, are there plans to enable vehicles to pass slower vehicles when a road has been setup as a highway?

John

vilvoh

burgi

Why not? is it just too complex to program?

vilvoh

Colin

You can always delete the MIDI files if you don't want them.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

Colin

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jbode

:-\ Ahhhh, sorry  :-\ - I did not think about "overtaking" for Simutrans ... just in real life ... as referred to by the request for lefthand traffic ...

Sorry again for opening Pandora's box on this topic. *close it*

Jörg

vilvoh

It doesn't matter...perhaps it was my fault, because I didn't get what you mean 

burgi

Quote from: jbode on September 02, 2008, 09:02:24 AM
:-\ Ahhhh, sorry  :-\ - I did not think about "overtaking" for Simutrans ... just in real life ... as referred to by the request for lefthand traffic ...

Sorry again for opening Pandora's box on this topic. *close it*

Jörg
ok now i'm confused... did this topic just get a little strange?

VS

burgi:

Overtaking is one of the not so much welcome topics here, because in the past it generated some... quarrels? The problem is that actually adding overtaking isn't easy and there were always players who decided they WANT IT and wanted to be heard a lot. So that put some strain on programmers who felt bullied into doing something hard. That's how it became what it is now - something to avoid. Plus since it's probably not going to be done and people think about it as a natural thing, it reappears often and meets always with "no". And after a while it becomes hard to keep saying that and staying polite when you're repeating it for 100th time.

So that's it more or less. This pattern repeats often, almost every project driven by community has these - taboos? I don't think this is the right word, but can't think of anything better right now.

It's not your fault that you mentioned it; that's the ugly aspect, you never know what particular issue offends.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

Quote from: VS on September 02, 2008, 11:39:29 AM
taboos? I don't think this is the right word, but can't think of anything better right now.

what about It-What-Must-Not-Be-Named (go, Harry, go!!....  )

burgi

Fair enough. Sorry if I upset anyone. To be honest I was happy with the "no its too complex" reply and was going to leave it at that. Maybe if I ever have the time (and skill) I could attempt to write this forbidden module.

Thanks for all the help guys I'll go back to racing my choo choo's  ;)

John

DirrrtyDirk

Don't worry - simply asking doesn't offend. Countless repetitions, arguing about it or insisting on it sure would... you didn't do any of these, so no feathers were ruffled, I'd say.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****