News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

How do I build a diagonal track underground?

Started by faiuwle, November 02, 2015, 12:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faiuwle

The game is not letting me connect two tunnel entraces with a diagonal underground track.  I was able to build the first tunnel entrance, but the second one just complains about how it has to be on a "single track" even though there is track aboveground and track underground at the same level, meeting in the same place.

Václav

You may use one of two following ways:

1. Hold Ctrl key and drang track in diagonal direction you need
2. Build track tile by tile with using of north-south and east-west directed tiles.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Vladki

First build the entrances, and connect them later. The entrance won't build if there is an underground track too close.

faiuwle

I tried that, but the second entrance wouldn't build.

Ters

faiuwle

pak64.  I tried to build the tunnel entrance before laying the track also, and it didn't work, so I thought I had to build the track up to where the tunnel entrance should be and then build it.

Edit: I figured it out.  The first tunnel built because there was a matching slope a ways away that it built a track to.  So I dug a big hole in an appropriate place and built a similar tunnel to the bottom of the hole, then deleted all the tracks/tunnels I didn't need and releveled the terrain.  But there should be an easier way, right?

Ters

Quote from: faiuwle on November 03, 2015, 12:58:00 AM
pak64.  I tried to build the tunnel entrance before laying the track also, and it didn't work, so I thought I had to build the track up to where the tunnel entrance should be and then build it.

Edit: I figured it out.  The first tunnel built because there was a matching slope a ways away that it built a track to.  So I dug a big hole in an appropriate place and built a similar tunnel to the bottom of the hole, then deleted all the tracks/tunnels I didn't need and releveled the terrain.  But there should be an easier way, right?

Sounds like you didn't hold down Ctrl when building the entrances, which is either the first or second step in doing anything underground. The second or first step is to switch to (sliced) underground view, which would have shown you your error immediately. However, your original post sounded like you had gotten these things right.

DrSuperGood

It is worth noting that if you use a "double height" pakset like 128 and 128britain then you will need a double steep slope to construct a tunnel. Additionally tunnels need 1 level of clearance above them.

In pak64 a single steep slope will suffice and tunnels only exist on the level you build them at.

You can use the artificial slope tools to raise and lower tunnels underground when in the tunnel view by using them on a dead-end of tunnel way. Depending on pakset you can create either 1 or 2 level steep slopes. An example is the power tunnel in pak64 supports 2 level steep slopes, a useful feature if you want it to get to a low level in a short distance. Ramped exits to the surface are not supported so you logically cannot raise tunnels up to ground level, you will need to lower ground level and make a tunnel entrance to get back to the surface.

faiuwle

Quote from: Ters on November 03, 2015, 05:46:39 AM
Sounds like you didn't hold down Ctrl when building the entrances, which is either the first or second step in doing anything underground. The second or first step is to switch to (sliced) underground view, which would have shown you your error immediately. However, your original post sounded like you had gotten these things right.

Thanks, I didn't know Ctrl would fix that.  Sliced view does not usually show anything different from the regular view on most parts of my map - how do you choose which level you want to slice?

DrSuperGood

Quotehow do you choose which level you want to slice?
It takes the average level of the screen. This is helpful in some cases where you need a simple tunnel. Mostly you will need to use the raise and lower slice hotkeys to navigate to the correct layer. Do note that slicing the terrain is very expensive computationally so it is normal that changing layers on larger maps can freeze the game in the order of seconds.

In pak64 I recall the hotkeys being '+' to raise slice and '-' to lower slice (both commonly found on numpad). Pak 128 uses different hotkeys rather annoyingly as those will instead change day/night brightness.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 04, 2015, 03:01:34 AM
It takes the average level of the screen.

I though it took the level the cursor is on.

Vladki

Quote from: Ters on November 04, 2015, 06:36:22 AM

At least in pak128.britain it does

DrSuperGood

Which is what when you press the sliced view button on screen (top bar)? The tile directly underneath the button?

That mechanic is not obvious.

Vladki

Ok. Thats why I do not use the toolbar button, but the hotkey. (shift-u) Using that I get to the level I want. I never found the right hotkey to change the level afterwards.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on November 04, 2015, 03:52:27 PM
Which is what when you press the sliced view button on screen (top bar)? The tile directly underneath the button?

Probably still the tile the 3d cursor is on, which might be where the cursor left the map. I don't remember if the 3d cursor still moves when the mouse cursor is on the tool bar. I don't even remember there being a sliced underground tool button. (Showing the grid and controlling underground viewing is probably the only thing on the tool bar that I use the hotkey for. Likely because they were not on the tool bar when I started using them.)