News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

[120.1.1] Saving is forced when closing.

Started by THLeaderH, December 10, 2015, 03:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THLeaderH

I upgraded simutrans from 120.0.1 to 120.1.1.
Simutrans 120.1.1 automatically saves a game when closing game using closing button, while older versions does not.
However, there are situations when I don't want to save a game. (For example, when the result of construction is not good.) Is there any configurations to disable automatic saving?

Sarlock

I discovered this as well.  What it does is save a temporary save file, which helps in case of accidental closure of Simutrans.  If you close the game with the menu and use Quit, it won't auto save.  Further, it only saves in to temporary save game, not over top of your current game... just open your last save game and it will revert back to that point.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

Ters

I'll start by seconding Sarlock. The automatic saving on quitting is independent of the old-fashioned way of saving.

However, to answer the literal question: Yes this functionality can be disabled, although it is slightly expert level. It is the setting reload_and_save_on_quit in simuconf.tab. Set this to 0 to turn off. By default, the setting is commented out, and it default to 1 (on).

I turned this off in part because saving took a very long time for a big map, especially when I also save normally to have a "real" save, but mostly because I didn't like the auto-loading. Maybe auto-loading should be a different setting?

captain crunch

I use to save the game and then close the window and do not like that the temporary file is loaded automatically on a new invocation of the program because later when I like to save the game it has the name 'temp-load' which is not the name of the game I saved before closing the window.
So, yes, please make loading of the 'temp-load.sve' optional.