News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Steam Short Description Transalation

Started by HaydenRead, June 15, 2016, 10:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaydenRead

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone would consider translating the Short Description used by Steam to other languages. (This shows when hovering over search results in Steam, and under the logo on the Steam Store Page).

The description is:
Simutrans is an open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Your goal is to establish a successful transport company and build the necessary infrastructure to transport passengers, mail and goods.

I considered using an automated translator (Google Translate, etc), but was unsure of how gramatically correct the result would be, and different translation sites gave different results and I have no way of knowing which is the best translation (as shown for French below).
French:

• Simutrans est un jeu de simulation de transport open-source disponible pour Windows , Mac et Linux . Votre but est de créer une société de transport efficace et construire l'infrastructure nécessaire pour transporter des passagers , du courrier et des marchandises .
  • Simutrans est un jeu de simulation de transport open source disponible pour des Fenêtres, le Mac et Linux. Votre but est d'établir une entreprise réussie(fructueuse) de transport et construire l'infrastructure nécessaire pour transporter des passagers, le courrier et des marchandises.
  • Simutrans est un open-source le transport jeu de simulation disponible pour Windows, Mac, et Linux. Votre objectif est d'établir avec succès une entreprise de transport et de construire les infrastructures nécessaires pour le transport de passagers, de courrier et de marchandises.
  • Simutrans est un jeu de simulation de transport libre disponible pour Windows, Mac et Linux. Votre objectif est d'établir une entreprise de transport avec succès et construire l'infrastructure nécessaire pour le transport de passagers, de courrier et de marchandises.

Translation of the main Steam Store page would also be greatly appreciated (the section under 'About This Game'), but is a lot more work then just translating the two sentences.

Any languages would be good, but in particular I would appreciate French, German, Spanish, Japanese, Czech, and Hungarian.

I have updated the English to "Simutrans is an open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Establish a successful transport company: Build road, rails, channels and more to get passengers, mail, and goods to their destinations." as suggested by Prissi.

Lmallet

"Simutrans est un jeu de simulation de transport open source disponible pour Windows , Mac et Linux . Votre but est de créer une société de transport efficace et construire l'infrastructure nécessaire  pour transporter passagers , courrier et marchandises ."

Other francos will need to comment on the use of "open source" in French, I've found quite a few sources which accept the English spelling.

Yona-TYT

Hello such.

Well this is the translation into Spanish:

"Simutrans es un juego de simulación de transporte de código abierto disponible para Windows, Mac y Linux. Su objetivo es establecer una empresa de transporte con éxito y construir la infraestructura necesaria para el transporte de pasajeros, correo y mercancías."

Google translator does a good job. ;)

HaydenRead

Quote from: Yona-TYT on June 16, 2016, 12:42:08 AM
Google translator does a good job. ;)
Tried the Google Translate to Japanese, then back to English, and got:
Simutrans mother , is a Windows, Mac, and open-source transportation simulation game available for Linux. Infrastructure necessary for your goal is to transport the shipping company and the passengers in the success , to establish is to build the e-mail and goods .

So don't think I will rely on Google Translate...

Vladki

Czech: Simutrans je open-source dopravní simulátor pro Windows, Mac i Linux. Cílem hry je provozovat úspěšnou dopravní společnost a vybudovat infrastrukturu potřebnou k přepravě cestujících, pošty a zboží.

prissi

First German:
Simutrans ist eine quelloffene Transsport-Simulation für Windows, Mac OS und Linux. Baue Wege, Schienen und Kanäle um Passagiere, Post und Waren and ihre Ziel zu bringen und eine erfolgreiche Transportfirma zu etablieren.

I would also suggest a more active approach for the English:
Simutrans is an open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Establish a successful transport company: Build road, rails, channels and more to get passengers, mail, and goods to their destinations.

And careful, my Japanese is that rusty that it may well be worse than google translate. But it is handcrafted ...
Simutransはオープンソースの経営シミュレーションゲームです。OSはWindows・MacOS X・Linuxなどです。道を作って、乗客か郵便か荷物が旅行先に送って、交通会社は儲かりなりましょう。

IgorEliezer

Just in case, the Portuguese translation is here: http://www.simutrans.com/pt/

EDIT: Noticed the text is not the same. Posting an actual translation in the next post.

HaydenRead

Thanks everyone.
I have updated the English to "Simutrans is an open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Establish a successful transport company: Build road, rails, channels and more to get passengers, mail, and goods to their destinations." as suggested by Prissi, and updated French, German, Spanish, Czech, Japanese, and Portuguese with the provided translations (so if you browse the steam store in these langauges, it should now show the given translations).

Other options provided by Steam are:
Italian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Hungarian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese-Brazil, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, and Ukranian
Translation into any of these is welcome.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: HaydenRead on June 16, 2016, 11:28:48 PMPortuguese-Brazil
That's still a thing? Brazilian Portuguese is to European Portuguese as American English is to British English.

HaydenRead, you could just copy-paste the same text, it will do too. But -- if I'm not mistaken -- European Portuguese speakers prefer "Thou" over "You", I would use the following:

Portuguese:
Simutrans é um simulador de transportes código-aberto disponível para Windows, Mac e Linux. Teu objetivo é estabelecer uma companhia de transportes de sucesso, e construir a infraestrutura necessária para transportar passageiros, correios e cargas.

Portuguese-Brazil:
Simutrans é um simulador de transportes código-aberto disponível para Windows, Mac e Linux. Seu objetivo é estabelecer uma companhia de transportes de sucesso, e construir a infraestrutura necessária para transportar passageiros, correios e cargas.

mad_genius

Quote from: IgorEliezer on June 17, 2016, 12:24:03 AM
That's still a thing? Brazilian Portuguese is to European Portuguese as American English is to British English.

HaydenRead, you could just copy-paste the same text, it will do too. But -- if I'm not mistaken -- European Portuguese speakers prefer "Thou" over "You", I would use the following:

Portuguese:
Simutrans é um simulador de transportes código-aberto disponível para Windows, Mac e Linux. Teu objetivo é estabelecer uma companhia de transportes de sucesso, e construir a infraestrutura necessária para transportar passageiros, correios e cargas.

Indeed there are some differences but their relatively minor things. Nowadays you mostly notice the differences when talking rather then when writing. ;)
May I suggest some minor "corrections" to the portuguese text?

Portuguese:
Simutrans é um simulador de transportes em código-aberto disponível para Windows, Mac e Linux. O teu objetivo é estabelecer uma companhia de transportes de sucesso, e construir a infraestrutura necessária para transportar passageiros, correio e mercadorias.

Combuijs

Dutch:

Simutrans is een open-source transport simulatie spel voor Windows, Mac OS en Linux. Start een succesvolle transport onderneming en leg wegen, spoorwegen en kanalen aan om passagiers, post en goederen naar hun bestemming te brengen.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: Combuijs on June 17, 2016, 08:52:44 AM
Dutch:

Simutrans is een open-source transport simulatie spel voor Windows, Mac OS en Linux. Start een succesvolle transport onderneming en leg wegen, spoorwegen en kanalen aan om passagiers, post en goederen naar hun bestemming te brengen.

The thing about Dutch is my brain always says, "Hey, here's something I can read and understand" until about halfway through when it complains, "Wait, this.... this is gibberish!" :)

prissi

Well, Germans feel similar. Comes from sitting halfway between England and Germany ;)

Ves

Swedish and a Danish translation here:

SE:
Simutrans är en open-source transportsimulator för Windows, Mac och Linux. Etablera en framgångsrik transportverksamhet genom att bygga vägar, järnvägar och kanaler med mera för att transportera passagerare, post och gods till sina destinationer.

DK:
Simutrans er en open-source transportsimulator for Windows, Mac og Linux. Stabel en succesfuld transportvirksomhed på benene ved at anlægge veje, jernbaner og kanaler med mere for at transportere passagerer, post og gods til sine destinationer.

Vladki

Quote from: HaydenRead on June 16, 2016, 11:28:48 PM
I have updated the English to "Simutrans is an open-source transportation simulation game available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Establish a successful transport company: Build road, rails, channels and more to get passengers, mail, and goods to their destinations." as suggested by Prissi,

Updated Czech translation:

Simutrans je open-source dopravní simulátor pro Windows, Mac a Linux. Vybudujte úspěšnou dopravní společnost. Stavte silnice, železnice, kanály i letiště a přepravujte cestující, poštu a různé zboží.

Longer description, if needed can be found here: http://www.simutrans.4fan.cz/o-hre-simutrans/

An_dz

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on June 17, 2016, 03:59:42 PM
The thing about Dutch is my brain always says, "Hey, here's something I can read and understand" until about halfway through when it complains, "Wait, this.... this is gibberish!" :)
Quote from: prissi on June 17, 2016, 09:02:59 PM
Well, Germans feel similar. Comes from sitting halfway between England and Germany ;)
Learn both English and German and you automatically speak Dutch. :D Nope ;)

prissi

Is it really Linus instead of Linux in SE and DK? Or was that a typo?

Ves