News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Special strings like %letter_whatever

Started by vilvoh, January 08, 2009, 03:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

I was translating the last items from base texts when I found these special ,and imho untranslatable, strings:
Quote&0_CITY_SYLL
&B_CITY_SYLL
&C_CITY_SYLL
&D_CITY_SYLL
&E_CITY_SYLL
&F_CITY_SYLL
%0_CITY_SYLL
%C_CITY_SYLL
%D_CITY_SYLL
%E_CITY_SYLL
%F_CITY_SYLL

They've no master or english translation, and I'm not able to guess any meaning. Well, just the obvious term CITY. This is what Prissi recomends in Simutranslator and translation rules for translating this kind of strings
Quotespecial strings (1suburb, &0_CITY_SILL, LOCO_INFO):
These are usually strings which have a certain funtion. The first one for instance generates stop names in suburb of towns, the second one will give on half of a name if not citylist is used, and the last one is the info given on engines in depots. Usually the english will give you a hint on what a translation may look like. Of course, town and stops will have to accomodate the national meanings.

But I'm afraid it's not possible to apply it in this case, so I'm confused. Should I leave them without translation (blank) or should I translated it without translate it? I mean, introduce the term without changing it.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Aren't these parts from which are generated names? Like: Apping+ton, Apping+ham, Apping+bury...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

vilvoh

That's why I doubt if they should be translated as they are or we must leave it blank. If they're dinamically generated and you change something, I guess they won't be properly generated, will be?

prissi

Well no english translator came up wilth good names (and I still need to upload the polish ones I have).

z9999

[offtopic]

I also leave [0,2-9]suburb blank. Because it's very strange when I rotate the map.
There is no absolute azimuth direction in simutrans.

emaxectranspoorte

prissi

I think, this is an error report. SImutrans knows about rotation of course.

IgorEliezer

Quote from: z9999 on January 08, 2009, 05:11:58 PM
There is no absolute azimuth direction in simutrans.

Once there is a north, azimuths will exist.

z9999

Quote from: prissi on January 08, 2009, 08:53:42 PM
I think, this is an error report. SImutrans knows about rotation of course.

Thank you.
I tested in r2226, but unfortunately still strange.
"South" is very few, "NE" and "SE" stand on same derection, etc.

Spike

Quote from: prissi on January 08, 2009, 04:26:32 PM
Well no english translator came up wilth good names (and I still need to upload the polish ones I have).

Up to some point there were also syllables for english (and some more languages), but I think the translation maintainers discontinued those once the city lists were introduced. Most people wanted real city names, and not the procedurally generated ones.

The syllables are translatable, though, but rather in the sense of being recreated for each language to generate somewhat proper town names for the country.

Edit: North was supposed to be the direction towards the upper right screen or window corner.

vilvoh

So seems it doesn't worth to translate them, does it?

Spike

Quote from: vilvoh on January 09, 2009, 10:34:07 AM
So seems it doesn't worth to translate them, does it?

If you have a city name list for your language, you don't need to translate those.

Nowadays those are more a curiosity item I guess (to make use of them, people actually have to remove the city name file). Maybe the are even obsolete, city name files really took over.

vilvoh

I see. we have some city-names lists from spanish speaking countries available, so I think I'll follow your advice and I won't translate them. Thanks for all, Hajo... :)