News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Junction design challenge - Brainstorming

Started by AP, September 02, 2012, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi all

The challenge is this: submit an image of your best design(s) for a y-junction station, for study and general appreciation.

Design Criteria

• In the absence of diagonal platforms in Simutrans, the challenge is one both of efficiency and aesthetics.

• The junction should be for 3 double-track mainlines, from A, B, and C, meeting at a triangular junction.

• Two of the lines should approach the station diagonally 90 degrees apart, leading to a 90/135/135degree junction (similar to the image below).

• Platforms should be set out designed so that a train from any of the 6 possible routes (A-B, B-C, C-A, B-A, C-B, A-C) has to only pass through one platform (where it stops).

• The station design should ideally be 'flat' - no bridges or tunnels allowed - due to the poor hill-climbing abiltyof  many steam locomotives. A particularly elegent 'non-flat' design should be submitted only if accompanied by your very best 'flat' design!

• Any pakset can be used.
Below is an example image (pak-gb), from another thread, of a station which attempts to solve the puzzle, but does not work properly in-game. Therefore, we throw the challenge open to the forum to produce a better design! :D

[The above design does not work because the last coaches do not load at their platform due to the break at the corner]

ӔO

These are the best I could come up with.
I think the first one would allow more traffic, but the  second one is more compact.

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ters

Looks like you've "blocked" a couple of tracks with bridge pillars, though.

AP

My best flat design currently: (but AEO's, above, looks much better)

New non-flat design: ( Quite compact; the gradients at least help slow stopping trains and accelerate departing ones, if they have enough power to get up the hills).

Lmallet

Traffic jam waiting to happen:

AEO's lower example is very nice in my opinion.

AP

Vladki

This is my simple idea - one platform for each direction, a few signals to keep the tracks one-way. And if you want you can delete the station buildings in the middle to save costs (station can be split in three pieces, or you can put dead end platform there for trains coming from east and heading back.

Update: and one more, max simplicity, with a little bit of cheating - split station.

Lubak91

;D :P

And without bridges...
So, let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you are completely sane?!

J4ridan

Superxpdude

Incorporates enough room to fit bus stations inside of the junction itself, while maintaining that the rails must remain flat, from my testing I never had any problems with traffic being held up or stuck.

merry

@superxpdude
This would be my base (most obvious) solution, although I have used AEO's rather elegant 'loop' (without bridges) at times, depnding on the traffic flows. The 'loop line' solution is more economic to build if traffic density is not high. SuperXPdude's solution will handle reasonably high traffic levels.

Question: is the train allowed to reverse in the platform? if so, i can offer a very simple option.

Superxpdude

This is mostly a joke, but I thought, why not?

AP

@J4ridan - that's a 90/90/180 degree junction (although adaptable to one with diagonal approaches I'll agree). It's the diagonals which 'complicate' the puzzle though... :-)

Quote from: merry on September 03, 2012, 02:13:47 PM
Question: is the train allowed to reverse in the platform? if so, i can offer a very simple option.

Maybe! Those of us playing Simutrans Experimental will know that it features greatly increased (ie more realistic) reversing times, so having trains reversing is to be avoided. Less of an issue for Standard.