News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.3 - Steel Mill closing issue

Started by jeffatsqi, December 16, 2009, 03:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffatsqi

While testing the 0.3 release starting with 1850. A Steel Mile was one of the factories generates. In 1862 it closed.

I have looked at the introduction date and the obsolete date for the four Steel Miles in the pac set. With the passenger level of 52 it looks like the mill built was the 1850-1920 version.

With an obsolete date of 1920 the plant should close at some time between 1921 to 1950 (random in the following 30 years from obsolescence). That is my understanding in reading the design notes. Is that correct?

I have run the game a number of times from a 1860 starting point. The plant always closed some time between 1862 and 1866. Seem to me the plant closing algorithm is running from the introduction date not the obsolete date.

Simutrans economics labs at www.osnv.org

jamespetts

Jeff,

thank you very much for your report. Can you upload your saved game?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

jeffatsqi

jamespetts

Hmm, I ran it to 1868 and the steel mill didn't close at all. I can't reproduce this one, I'm afraid.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jeffatsqi

We are dealing with a 30 year probability distribution and it looks like the first set of tests I ran all produced early closing dates.

I ran three more tests and got closings in 1868, 1871, and 1878 (screen shots of closing message attached).

As stated in an earlier post, I believe the steel mill is the 1850-1920 version. Thus all of the above closing being prior to 1910 would be in error. Thus, I still believe there is a bug in the code.

Side note: As you run the simulation just notice the massive number of closings across all plants. I have focused on the mill to have a specific example.

jamespetts

Jeff,

thank you very much for that. This came a little late to be investigated in time for the release of 7.1, however. I have checked the code, and it definitely specifies the retirement date, rather than the introduction date. Perhaps you could try it again with 7.1 and see whether the problem still persists? Thank you for your help.