News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Some results...

Started by Junna, June 30, 2013, 04:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junna

Hmm, odd, how that didn't work this time. Here:

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/furtherblends.rar

Also improvised this speed sign graphic;

Junna

This is a fictional production series of the 1967-68 HS4000 "Kestrel" prototype (3,000kw); the production date is set from 1971 (rated for 200km/h). It assumes some effective use of materials has allowed the total weight to be decreased to 126 tonnes (axle load of 21 tonnes). I set the running cost so low because it really ought to be possible to run on very heavy goods trains and not only express passenger duties (but probably setting it to around 12 or so wouldn't be too high). It ought to be more economical than Class 52 and 55.

jamespetts

Thank you for all these; I have not had time to include the last few things yet, but they are all appreciated: I will add them when I get the time.

As to the hypothetical Kestrel, that is an interesting innovation (and it is noteworthy that we have very little in the 1970s). The livery seems off, though: the wrapped around yellow ends only came in with the large logo livery at the very end of the 1970s; the original livery should be the same as the class 47 in blue. There would then need to be a large logo version and, probably, InterCity (executive), Intercity (swallow), railfreight and RES versions, as well, I imagine, as some post-privitisaition liveries such as Virgin, FGW and all the other liveries carried by the class 47, although the sectorisation and privitisation era liveries have not been done on other locomotives or yet, either, so can possibly wait.

On the subject of liveries, the class 41 could probably do with a BR blue livery on the assumption that, had it not been non-standard, it may very well have lasted into the era when that livery was universally applied, as there was nothing particularly wrong with it aside from being obsolete before it was ever produced.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Junna

Quote from: jamespetts on July 10, 2014, 11:19:16 PM
Thank you for all these; I have not had time to include the last few things yet, but they are all appreciated: I will add them when I get the time.

As to the hypothetical Kestrel, that is an interesting innovation (and it is noteworthy that we have very little in the 1970s). The livery seems off, though: the wrapped around yellow ends only came in with the large logo livery at the very end of the 1970s; the original livery should be the same as the class 47 in blue. There would then need to be a large logo version and, probably, InterCity (executive), Intercity (swallow), railfreight and RES versions, as well, I imagine, as some post-privitisaition liveries such as Virgin, FGW and all the other liveries carried by the class 47, although the sectorisation and privitisation era liveries have not been done on other locomotives or yet, either, so can possibly wait.

The reason for the early choice of the wrap-around yellow is the livery of the prototype. Had development continued - particularly with its work on noteworthy express services - it might have gotten a particularly noteworthy livery (similar to how the livery of the early 55 was slightly different). This was the reasoning chosen for this non-standard application of the livery. I intended initially to give it a blue-and-grey livery initially for the same reason, but it didn't look very convincing nor pretty. The yellow fits nicely being wrap-around on the more streamlined design, so I thought it might've been a reasonable livery. (Inspired somewhat also by the early livery of the HSTs).

Is there any plan for what ought to become of the 1.5kv electrification? At the moment, there's no later units due to the closure of all the UK 1.5kv lines in reality. Would it be a good idea to base a few later units on some Dutch or French units for said system? In areas where, unlike the UK, 1.5kv electrification had been extensively built already, those systems were after all often extended further.

EDIT: The 303 and 502 appear to be missing from the blender collections?

jamespetts

Ahh, an interesting thought. It is difficult to know what to do with hypothetical vehicles for liveries. Still, it would look good in the various Inter-City liveries in due course.

As to 1.5kV DC systems, the idea has always been for dual voltage EMUs and locomotives to be able to use them, along with light rail vehicles which use the DC overhead electrification way constraint in any event; I think that it might be a little confusing if we had too many imaginary locomotives.

Edit: Incidentally, if you are interested in producing more locomotives from the BR era, there is still untapped potential in AC electrics: we could do with classes 85 and 89, as well as the planned but never produced class 88 (electric version of the class 56, intended for heavy freight traffic). The class 323 EMU would also fill what is currently a significant gap.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Junna

The tram vehicles cannot use the railway mainline any longer, though, can they (since they were aligned)?

InterCity livery for the Kestrel.

Also 302/AM2 AC EMU (introduction date of AC electrification ought to be moved forward to 1958), in green, blue and blue & grey. It's similar to 307 enough that the blue grey might well be used for that one as an additional livery.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for all that: I have now incorporated all of that. Very helpful. Incidentally, how are you deciding when to depict locomotives and multiple units with the yellow warning front? I notice some inconsistency in approach and wondered whether you had chosen to have the yellow warning on the class 41, 42 and 302 but not the 26 and 27, for example, for a reason.

One other thing on liveries: you have given the Kestrel an Inter-City (executive) livery, but it could probably do with the later InterCity (swallow) livery, too (that is, the same as the Inter-City (executive) livery, but without the wrap-around yellow ends, and with the lower panel in white instead of beige; other detail differences are not apparent at this scale), as locomotives older than the Kestrel would have been, such as the class 47s and even 31s and 37s carried this in the 1980s and 1990s.

As to the trams, the new alignment makes them work better with trains, rather than worse; it is only the old alignments that did not quite match up to railway tracks.

jamespetts

Quote from: Junna on July 10, 2014, 11:46:09 PM
EDIT: The 303 and 502 appear to be missing from the blender collections?

Apologies for not having spotted this before: the 303 is there (br-303-bg-a.blend, br-303-bg-b.blend, br-303-bg-c.blend); the 502 was missing, but I have added it now.

KneeOn

I tried drawing for Pak128.britain once... once.

Kudos to you Junna - all are absolutely fantastic and match the style perfectly. I look forward to seeing even more units being drawn!

The Hood

Now incorporated into Standard SVN. Thanks.

jamespetts

Sorry to revive a rather elderly topic, but I notice that I am missing the .blend files for the class 302, to which I wish to add NSE livery; would you be able to upload them by any chance? I should be most grateful.

jamespetts