News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Railroad stations for oil and steel???

Started by whitebearpost, August 15, 2008, 08:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitebearpost

Hey everyone. I'm new to Simutrans.

I read the manual and the guide (not much different to each other, as it seems).
I'm playing v.99.15.

the question is: I was trying to create rail road transport for coal, steel and oil.

I only managed to create coal platforms (at the loading point), and I put coal platforms on the discharge point as well. - that works well.

But what kind of platforms will allow me to transport steel and oil? Simple Platform doesn't allow for it (at least, my train doesn't load!), the other platforms (in year 1930) are passenger platforms and coal platform - which is, I guess, for coal only...

Any piece of advice is welcome and appreciated!

whoami

Welcome to the forum!

You seem to use Pak128 (this information is necessary to know your game environment).

Quote from: whitebearpost on August 15, 2008, 08:07:40 AM
coal platform - which is, I guess, for coal only...
This is the point where you are mislead: If a station building enables goods, it will do so for all types (only passengers and mail are separate).

It's not necessary to use a train station building for this purpose, instead you can build a truck loading area next to the station, or build a warehouse.

whitebearpost

Now I am confused. :)

up until now I wasn't using station buildings, just platforms. What does a station building do? and how do I know, if it enables goods?

when you say "passengers and mail are separate" - am I right to understand that Mail is a totally separate "thing" - it needs own transport and own stations. Whereas the same stations can be used for passengers and goods?

Combuijs

Every station (platforms + buildings) can be enabled for passengers, mail and goods. You can enable those by placing certain platforms or buildings. If you look at the station info screen, you will notice in the upper left corner (?) some small icons, representing passengers, mail and goods. If an icon is shown then the station is enabled for that commodity. In the toolbars you will notice the same small icons in the upper left corner of the buttons. This is an indication what is enabled if you place the thing on the button.

Good luck!
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

whitebearpost

I think, I understood. Thanks a lot for help!