News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Name change?

Started by jamespetts, October 23, 2010, 05:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I see that the latest nightlies include the ability to change the name of a player's name, which is extremely welcome. However, how does one access the GUI to facilitate this?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Dwachs

it is in the password window. Click on the green box in the player window.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you, that's most helpful! But it is a little unclear for players. Perhaps clicking on the player name in the player window should take one to the name change/password box instead of the finances window...?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

prissi

Usually finances are much more often needed. Thus the larger button for the more frequent operation.

I pondered also several other possibilities, but finally though the password frame might be most intuitive, since often one has to enter also a username and a password.

jamespetts

Ahh, but isn't there another, easier, way of getting at one's own player finance window? (And for other players, one doesn't need to be able to change their name at all).

prissi

Please try it before posting: You cannot change the name of a locked player. Only unclaimed players can be changed.

jamespetts

Ahh, that wasn't the point that I was making: sorry for being unclear. I meant that, to get to one's own finance window, one can easily press the "finance" button on the menu bar. Apart from clicking on headquarters, there is no way of getting at other players' finance windows, however, so it would make sense to retain that.

Alternatively, one could have the option to change name and password (additionally?) in the finance window itself.

An_dz

I agree with jamespetts, I don't think it's needed to see others finances. If needed maybe add a button on own finance window?

prissi

The own finances window does no have sensible space left for any new button. Otherwise I would have put it there. On the other hand, you do not need to rename a company often, thus hiding this function under a green button was the sensible solution for me. But james can do otherwise of course.

jonasbb

That is my idea for the rename function. I posted this image in the german forum.

prissi

There is already the scenario information visible ...

Matthew

I would like to bump this issue (I realize it's intended behaviour).

After about 9 months of not playing Simutrans, this was the only part of the UI that I simply could not figure out again.

I would echo the suggestion that it would be best if clicking on your own player's name allowed you to edit it, since the finance window already has an icon on the main toolbar.

Shift-click, ctrl-click or right-click on the player name would be alternative options.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

jamespetts

To change the player name: options menu>Players>green button>type the name in the name field>close the window.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: jamespetts on January 10, 2015, 11:33:55 AM
To change the player name: options menu>Players>green button>type the name in the name field>close the window.
And to change the password?

An_dz

jamespetts

Not quite the same: type in the password box instead of the name box.

An_dz

An_dz

And that's it, it's the same. Once you have already typed the password, unlocked the player, you can change its password the same way as you would add a password for it.