News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

Vehicle Status (reversing, waiting for schedule) in vehicle window?

Started by AP, May 01, 2017, 12:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Hi All

Messing about with Schedules and Slot Shift / Timetable settings, it has become apparent that often one must balance the actions of multiple vehicles, trains, or convoys. Often these may be many tiles apart.

At present, it seems the only way to find out what is causing a vehicle to be stationary, is to hover over it, and get the yellow pop up ("reversing 3:48 remaining").

Whereas for each vehicle the vehicle's own window contains speed information.

Could the Yellow popup information also be made visible in that same window?  I think it would be helpful to players. It would cut down on lots of panning and zooming,  and holding of multiple 5 digit numbers in one's head.

Thanks,

Ves

I have had this thought too that it would be nice to see the status of a vehicle without hovering with the mouse above it, even without the vehicle being on screen.
If James does not think otherwise, I would like to take a look at it at some point.

jamespetts

This does seem sensible and should be relatively straightforward. What I think would work the best is for vehicles to show their speed in the convoy information window when they are in the "driving" state, and otherwise to show, in place of where the speed is currently shown, their status, such as "reversing", "loading", "waiting for clearance", etc.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Quote from: jamespetts on May 01, 2017, 04:46:48 PM
What I think would work the best is for vehicles to show their speed in the convoy information window when they are in the "driving" state, and otherwise to show, in place of where the speed is currently shown, their status, such as "reversing", "loading", "waiting for clearance", etc.
This seems sensible, but please with the remaining time, if at all possible, not just the 'word'. It's essential info for setting up timetables.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on May 01, 2017, 04:58:26 PM
This seems sensible, but please with the remaining time, if at all possible, not just the 'word'. It's essential info for setting up timetables.

I am not sure that  I understand what you mean by "not just the 'word'"; can you elaborate?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ves

I think he means that when the message is, say "Loading", it should also show the numbers that follow: Loading (0->100%). And so on for the other states. I also thinks all this information should be visible.

jamespetts

AP

That is exactly it, the numbers are key. Particularly for timings,  the player needs to see how long each vehicle has left to wait etc, so as to judge how long another vehicles schedule must be offset to compensate.

Ves

So, I think this is done now!
Whenever the vehicle is not driving, the speed is switched out with loading, waiting for clearance, no route, waiting for time, runway too short etc. Also, the color of the text is changed depending on the status.
Please tell me if you guys think the colors should be any different, and I will change!

And this can all be found here: https://github.com/VictorErik/Simutrans-Experimental-Ves/tree/vehicle-window

jamespetts

Splendid, that is excellent thank you, now merged (with some slight amendment to the colours). This is extremely helpful.

Ves

Thanks!
I found an error however, the runway too short message was shown at some odd times. That is now corrected to only show under more restricted circumstances. The changes are uploaded to github!

jamespetts

Vladki

Hi Ves & James

Would it be possible to add time countdown for "emergency stop" to vehicle info window & tooltip?

jamespetts

This seems sensible in principle; I suspect that Ves would be the best person to implement this.

Ves

It worked!  ;D

commit: https://github.com/VictorErik/Simutrans-Experimental-Ves/commits/vehicle-window

Edit:
Also, the speed bar is invincible when the vehicle is not driving, allowing for longer translations

jamespetts

Excellent - I have now incorporated this into the master branch. Thank you for that.