News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Passengers choosing the wrong interchange

Started by omikron, February 19, 2012, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omikron

I know this has been said before, but I am not able to find it anymore:

I have a route A->B->C and another one: D->B->C. Now, when passengers D. Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

Btw, thanks for the release 10.10. However, you didn't mention my little contribution in the pax destination lists. I thought that was a bugfix too? I want recognition! :-)

omikron

jamespetts

Omikron,

I am not sure what you mean here:

I have a route A->B->C and another one: D->B->C. Now, when passengers D. Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

Did you perhaps accidentally delete part of your message?

I'm afraid that your fix didn't make it into 10.10 - I wanted to deal with critical issues in 10.10 before dealing with other matters in the next major release. It will make it in in due course, however!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

omikron

Thanks! I consider my fix critical for gameplay, but if you don't, I'll have to accept that.

Btw, my alias is omikron, meaning 'small o', so please don't capitalise me  :)

I'll try again, apparently something went missing:

I have a route A->B->C and another one: D->B->C. Now, when passengers want to go from A to D, they often travel all the way to C to catch the train going back again. At some point I even saw passengers from B to A making the trip to C, and remaining in the train for the return journey.   

Is there any explanation for this behaviour?

The only thing I can think about is waiting times being significantly shorter for the longer journey, which however, doesn't really make sense.

omikron

jamespetts

omikron,

apologies for capitalising you! Hmm - can you upload a saved game in which you can demonstrate that behaviour? That does not seem correct.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

isidoro

You have even simpler examples.  Imagine two big cities A and B with another small one c, near B.
There is a line between B and c, but there are much more people wanting to go to B than the other way round.

*                                     .          *
    A                                     c          B

To alleviate the problem you make a stop in c in a much bigger line to take the surplus of c to B:
A --> c --> B --> A --> c --> B

You always get passengers boarding on B, going all the way to A and back again to c.  There is no concept of stop routing at this station.  In real life, I doubt that they will sell a ticket from B to c via A if there is a shorter alternative...

omikron

I'm afraid none of my savegames display this behaviour. However, I think I have an explanation:

The lines A---B---C and D---B---C - the passengers wanting to get from B to A.
At B, the waiting times for A are getting so long, that the passengers opt for C as an interchange.

The passengers want to go from A to D: B is overcrowded, so the passengers instead opt to go via C.

Is that a possibility? The same would apply for isidoro's scenario.

omikron

jamespetts

Hmm - it'll be very difficult indeed for me to find this issue if there is not a game in which it can be reproduced reliably...

dannyman

So, here is what I tend to see ...

Picture two towns, connected by rail and by bus:

Town A Hbf ============================= Town B Hbf
Town A Hbf -- Town A Outer ------------- Town B Outer -- Town B Hbf
Town A Hbf .. Town A Outer                      Town B Outer .. Town B Hbf

So, == is rail, -- is the intercity bus, and .. is the local bus lines.  What I often see is that instead of waiting at the Hbf, pax will take a local bus to the outer stop to catch the IC bus.  The outer stop gets crowded.  But if *I* were a pax, I'd stay at or head toward the Hbf to either catch a good seat on an IC bus, or ride the train.  If you wait at an outer stop, then you may have to wait as full IC buses roll by, then end up standing.

So, I drop the outer stops from the IC bus schedule, but I feel bad, because if you live by that stop, it is more convenient to catch the bus at that stop than have to make a separate ride downtown.

I could conjure a saved game if need be. :)

-danny

Carl

Dannyman,

This sounds like it's related to the bug discussed here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9262.0

Hopefully my patch in that topic should stop your passengers from boarding the local bus to travel to the outer town stops -- assuming that it's a significantly slower route.

dannyman

Yeah ... local bus is slow, frequent, requires a transfer at a crowded station on the outskirts of town
IC bus is slow, frequent, direct
IC train is fast, infrequent, direct

I'd like for pax to wait at the main station for either IC vehicle, and not waste time boarding a local bus which will only limit their options ...

-danny

jamespetts

Dannyman,

thank you for your further input and analysis. As Carl says, this seems to be very similar to the issues that he has identified and for which he has produced fixes. I very much hope to have the time to integrate those fixes soon!