News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Incomplete Industry Chains

Started by MobRules, March 19, 2017, 03:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobRules

Are incomplete industry chains a known/intentional thing?

For instance, I have an iron works and two coal merchants asking for coal, but no coalierys. Also, I have a china shop, but no potter and no clay pit.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report: there generally should not be incomplete chains, but there might be if there was not enough space to put the completing industries when the map was generated.

Does this occur in industries that exist from the outset, or in industries generated after the start of the game?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

MobRules

This was industries present at the outset. (I thought I had set to freeplay mode & was spending accordingly. But had not, so that game died well before new industries started appearing. )

(It looked like there should be room for the additional industries, but that may be because I don't know what algorithm it uses to decide how close which can be to what. Actually, I  had boosted the number of industries from the default settings, so perhaps those additional industries caused the crowding out?)

jamespetts

You can always set freeplay after the game has started in the players menu. Can you let me know what your starting settings were so that I can see whether this can be reproduced?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

MobRules

Quote from: jamespetts on March 19, 2017, 04:24:10 PM
You can always set freeplay after the game has started in the players menu.

Yup I know :). I absent-mindedly thought I already had.  :P

Can you let me know what your starting settings were so that I can see whether this can be reproduced?

I think I brought the number of industries up to 30 and brought the number of attractions down to 10. Slightly larger map -- 384 x 384 I think. Two city clusters instead of zero. Median citizens per city ratcheted down to 200, to allow it to grow from there over the next 300 years. Greatly reduced the number of rivers (It's really hard to get a river-algorithm to look realistic with only four or five height levels to work with.)

MobRules

Here's an especially egregious example :).

Slightly different settings than above.

the save

Jando

Quote from: MobRules on March 19, 2017, 03:10:10 AM
Are incomplete industry chains a known/intentional thing?

For instance, I have an iron works and two coal merchants asking for coal, but no coalierys. Also, I have a china shop, but no potter and no clay pit.

I have observed this as well. It happens when you make multiple new maps in one game session, i.e. without restarting the game from the OS. After 4 or 5 new maps I start to see incomplete industry chains, after more new maps all industry chains can be incomplete, up to the point that no industry at all has a supplier any more.

HarrierST

I have seem similar problems on re-starting a new game in other games.

Does Simitrans have a Cache folder?  If so deleting the contents of that folder - before restarting may help.

jamespetts

I should note that there is no cache folder or similar in Simutrans - some settings are saved between sessions in files, but nothing else is cached to permanent storage.

I should note that I appear to have missed some of the updates to this thread in the last few months - possibly because it was not in the "development" forum (to which I have now moved it) and I did not therefore register this as a bug report.

Can I ask whether this issue can still be reproduced with the latest version?

Jando

Quote from: jamespetts on September 11, 2017, 06:39:46 PM
... Can I ask whether this issue can still be reproduced with the latest version?

Hello James! Yes, issue still exists. I can see it after creating 5-8 new maps within the same play session, after that some (not all) industries can show incomplete chains (for example industries with no supplier or consumer), after making more maps in the same session eventually all industries will be broken.

Not a very pressing issue of course, easy workaround: just starting the game anew. :)

jamespetts

Thank you for confirming that. I think that I have managed to fix this now on the master branch - would you be able to re-test? I should be most grateful.