News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Realistic shipyard.

Started by mad_genius, February 22, 2010, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad_genius

Hi everyone!

Is it possible to create a shipyard that sits along the shore like the current ship docks with cranes and stuff.
Currently the shipyard is build in the middle of the water. That seems a bit unrealistic to me. Normally a shipyard is coastal infrastructure that could blend (graphically speaking) with the rest of the seaport buildings.

Since I don't have object modelling skills I'm posting this request for the comunity to evaluate and decide if it's worth it or not.

Spike

I think depots must be placed on the proper way type for the vehicles. Thus a shipyard must be on a water tile. A technical constraint, and there might be solutions to overcome this limitation.

I don't know if this has changed in recent Simutrans versions, my knowledge may be too old.

VS

Hajo: It's still the same.

One could create a visually similar construction with tricks: Dig a hole in land, perhaps with slopes, put there an "invisible" ship depot and build around it some fake buildings that mimic real shipyard. It would need lots of graphics, but it isn't impossible :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

mad_genius

My request is based only on a desire for more realism since it wouldn't had any gameplay features to the ship depot.
I guess the trick proposed by VS works well.

However I'm curios about one thing.
When you build a dock with a crane, just an example, you choose a coastal tile and then you see four construction take place in four tiles in line (the coastal tile and three water tiles). Is it a 1x4 single building or 4 1x1 separate buildings?

Would it be possible to make a dock where the last water tile is the ship depot? That would respect the constraint right?

Combuijs

QuoteIs it a 1x4 single building or 4 1x1 separate buildings?

1x4 single building

QuoteWould it be possible to make a dock where the last water tile is the ship depot? That would respect the constraint right?

Depots can only be 1x1 tile. So the answer is no...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs