News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

slope walls - the current impossibility of arcs

Started by Leartin, June 12, 2014, 08:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leartin

So, both comic paks currently use some kind of arc for the city slope walls. (pak192.com only in beta I think) -  while trying to adapt to half height, I realized that it's not possible to do them now.
This is because before, the max wall heigth was 2, and we had images for 2 high walls, so it worked. With half height, the max wall height is 4. With the images staying at height 2, you'd always get two sets of arcs on top of each other.
Instead of having a wall graphic that spans over two levels, I propose to have a "top" and a "rest" wall graphic. Obviously, you'd use the top graphic only on the topmost level of the wall, and patter the rest-graphic. (Or possibly even a top, middle and bottom graphic - but that's a stretch)

I attached an image to clarify what I mean. Any wall with an actual slope stays the same, just the walls with a straight top are affected.

EDIT: I think I screwed up to display the "current situation" - but it's still not a wishful situation ^^°

Leartin

I don't want to appear impatient, but I'd really like to know if any of the active programmers considers this a problem at all, and if it will be changed.

I attached a screenshot to make it absolutely clear what I want to achieve: On the left, you see pak128, just to show that such high cliffs do exist, and are currently composed of two times the same cliff on top of each other. On the right, you see 'current' pak192.comic walls. While I don't mind shortening the dirt wall, I'd love to keep the arches of the city walls/basements. Not only because of looks, but because other stuff uses them as well (eg. a tunnel entrance for subways).

I'd like to know if it's better to adapt or if I can just wait for a solution from programmers side with the full release.

prissi

I have currently very little time and will rather work on stuff directly related with double heights (as there are serious problems with tunnels at the moment) and with the scalable UI/fonts (in order to be playable on high res screens and tablets). Son not from me.

kierongreen

Looking at this but recent commits with fonts have broken compiling under linux so it's going to take a while to fix that first.

kierongreen

Added 4 new images for repeat slope walls (Name=Slopes and Name=Basement) - syntax as follows:

Obj=ground
Name=Slopes
# West
Image[0][0]=-
Image[1][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.0.0
Image[10][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.0.8
# North
Image[11][0]=-
Image[12][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.1.0
Image[21][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.1.8
# West-Repeat
Image[22][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.0.10
Image[23][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.0.11
# North-Repeat
Image[24][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.1.10
Image[25][0]=images/ground-slope-walls-128.1.11

This means that existing images 0-10 and 11-20 will only be used for the top section of the slope wall. paks without these extra repeat images will continue to function as they did previously.