News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Visualizing schedules

Started by zook2, February 27, 2014, 05:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zook2

Would it be a lot of work to add an option that allows for automatically displaying the schedule currently selected in the Lines window, possibly even numbering the stops/waypoints? I have lots of lines that need updating whenever I add a third or forth track and sometimes I have to check for mistakes. That would save me a lot of clicks.

Unrelated to this: what effect does a Traveling Post Office have? I couldn't find much on the forum.

Also unrelated: maximum_intransit_percentage in the config defaults to 0, while the recommended setting is 110, if I remember correctly. Why?

Finally: a while ago I tried to add some computer competitors to the game, but could not activate them.

jamespetts

A number of different things here, so I will answer in sequence.

1. I am not entirely sure what you mean by this: what do you imagine that this would entail? Any signficiant GUI change would indeed take quite a lot of work, and would be a lower priority than a queue of probably two years' worth of work on things relating to economic balance, but if it is worthwhile and anyone else would like to do it, I should be more than happy to include it.

2. Travelling post offices are to mail what buffet cars are to passengers: they increase the revenue on longer runs.

3. The maximum_intransit_percentage defaults to zero because that gives rise to the same behaviour as before there was such a thing as the maximum_intransit_percentage, the idea being not to change the behaviour of existing games and make it an optional feature. The recommended setting in Simutrans-Experimental is 110% because it is calibrated to send just the right amount of goods at 100%, and 110% gives a margin of error that accounts for fluctuations in delivery time.

4. I have not tested AI players for a long time because the algorithms for them are very crude: they never worked well in Standard and are not adapted to the different mechanisms of Experimental. Developing remotely realistic AI would be an unimaginably complicated task given the complexity of the simulation, well beyond my ability at programming. It would probably be better to remove all the AI code entirely at some point, although this in itself would not be trivial and there is an extremely long queue of higher priority things to which to attend.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

zook2

Quote from: jamespetts on February 27, 2014, 11:22:32 PM
1. I am not entirely sure what you mean by this: what do you imagine that this would entail?

Sorry, I just meant highlighting all stops/waypoints in red. The game already does it, you just have to open the Line Edit window. An option to do it when a line is merely selected in the Line window would be great.

ӔO

Quote from: zook2 on February 27, 2014, 11:50:33 PM
Sorry, I just meant highlighting all stops/waypoints in red. The game already does it, you just have to open the Line Edit window. An option to do it when a line is merely selected in the Line window would be great.

Such a feature could also be used in standard, so you may want to ask for the extension there.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: