News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

What should I do if I covered my old save accidentally

Started by IvanS1069, February 18, 2015, 08:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanS1069

So I've just covered my old save with another save recently....
What should I do to recover my old save?

gauthier

QuoteSo I've just covered my old save with another save recently....
If you mean that you have overwritten your old save, I'm afraid there's nothing to do, it is lost forever.

IgorEliezer

Windows user? Not sure if it works (confirm please): right-click the sve file > Properties > Previous Versions, see if there's something to recover.

Ters

Quote from: IgorEliezer on February 18, 2015, 01:09:43 PM
Windows user? Not sure if it works (confirm please): right-click the sve file > Properties > Previous Versions, see if there's something to recover.

It's worth a try, but I don't think that feature is enabled by default. At least I don't remember disabling it.

Quote from: IvanS1069 on February 18, 2015, 08:01:07 AM
So I've just covered my old save with another save recently....
What should I do to recover my old save?

That will hopefully either teach you take backups, or remind you to do so. It's said that there are two kinds of people: those that have lost data, and those that are going to lose data. Unfortunately, transitioning from the second group to the first doesn't mean that one stops losing data. One must always be careful.

Maybe Simutrans could have created backups for you, but nothing else tends to do so (beyond while actually saving, in case of errors), and it might annoy those that have their own proper backup routinges covering everything considered important on the computer. Simutrans could in theory also ask before overwriting a save game, but for most people, overwriting an existing save game might be the normal thing to do.

DrSuperGood

One possible solution to this problem from a developer point of view is to add some form of anti-overwrite mechanic. For example...

• 0: File are overwritten with no backup made.
  • 1: Last overwritten file is retained.
  • 2: All overwritten files are retained.

If the default is made to be 1 (will keep at most a single overwritten file as backup) then it adds protection against people who "accidently" write over an old save and immediately spot it as they can then rectify the problem before any data loss.

An alternative solution would be a confirmation window when overwriting saves ("Are you sure you want to overwrite X?").

Markohs

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 18, 2015, 05:32:48 PM
An alternative solution would be a confirmation window when overwriting saves ("Are you sure you want to overwrite X?").

Confirmation windows are forbidden in our UI, I've suggested them in the past too.

Ters

Quote from: DrSuperGood on February 18, 2015, 05:32:48 PM

As I wrote, this is very bothersome for players who almost always overwrite existing save games.

DrSuperGood

QuoteAs I wrote, this is very bothersome for players who almost always overwrite existing save games.
An option for "quick save" should be added which overwrites the slot that the game was loaded from. If people are keeping multiple versions of a save in case a mistake is made (not sure of this applies to a transport simulator...) then they will want the confirmation dialog to help prevent them overwriting the wrong version. This is the difference in Microsoft Word of going File->"Save" or File->"Save As". Quick save could be added to a hotkey such as ctrl+s for convenience.

prissi

If you do not mind size, on could indeed save all versions at different dates in one file. You would just get two dialogue on open though. (And it would take much longer to parse the file.)

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Markohs on February 18, 2015, 05:50:31 PM
Confirmation windows are forbidden in our UI, I've suggested them in the past too.
"Are you sure you want to remove this house? Y|N"
"Are you sure you want to build a stop here? Y|N"
"Are you sure you want to buy this train? Y|N"
"Are you sure you want to close this dialog? Y|N"
"Are you sure you want to quit Simutrans? Aww c'mon play some more...|N"

Confirmation windows can be annoying, but they are necessary if an action can cause serious and irreversible consequences.

The game could check if the file name of the savegame you are about to update is the same of the current game you are playing. If different, a confirmation window is called.

prissi

One could easily have the last version as ".previous-sve" Simutrans already renames the current save before creating the file which would be overwritten. So if writing fails, then there is at least the previous version. One coudl add a switch in simuconf.tab to keep it.

DrSuperGood

QuoteConfirmation windows can be annoying, but they are necessary if an action can cause serious and irreversible consequences.
Which is why only certain classes of actions should have them.

Remove company from game.
"Are you sure you want to remove Company X from the game?"

Create city as non public service provider player. Similar can be used for make stop public.
"Are you sure you want to found this city here? Only the public service provider will be able to remove it once done."

Accidently trying to do an action that will bankrupt you. Eg building a tunnel across a massive map by mistake.
"Are you sure you want to this action? It will cause your net wealth to drop several times below your current worth."

Trying to remove a convoy currently carrying cargo. This is to discourage people from destroying goods.
"Are you sure you want to instantly remove this convoy? All cargo it is carrying will be permanently destroyed!"

You could always add a setting to turn off such confirmation windows.

Yona-TYT

Are those things that can save yourself from bankruptcy.
This is of great help.  :thumbsup:

prissi

This is a game; as such it is your responsibility not to use stuff that drive you into bankrupsy. And if you drag, there is already a preview of the costs. Furthermore, companys can be only removed via server tool, which is commandline. How should a popup work there?

But feel free and add a configurable question window. You will find that the Simutrans system is really very bad for such stuff.

An_dz

My Simutrans saves are stored in the cloud with OneDrive, when the file is updated I can recover it from the Trash in the website.

Ters

I just make local copies of the save games from time to time. In addition, I do some semi-regular off-site mirroring of my documents (in case of bigger disasters like fire), but Simutrans save games are very time consuming to upload over slow Internet connections.

An_dz

I use symbolic links and the pc-client doesn't upload in slow connections. Uploading can also be paused. And I don't play on big maps, my saves are below 500Kb.

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on February 20, 2015, 02:22:03 PM
And I don't play on big maps, my saves are below 500Kb.

You could even use floppies for backup, and not only the very latest! My savegames are 20 MB.

An_dz

Quote from: Ters on February 20, 2015, 05:50:05 PM
You could even use floppies for backup, and not only the very latest!
:D True, I can even use tapes.

Quote from: Ters on February 20, 2015, 05:50:05 PM
My savegames are 20 MB.
What's the map size of these saves?

Ters

Quote from: An_dz on February 21, 2015, 03:51:53 PM
:D True, I can even use tapes.
What's the map size of these saves?

2048x2048. My previous 1024x1024 maps are 5 MB.