News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Early Recollections

Started by Colin, September 05, 2008, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Hi Hajo, It's 4.45am on the 6th Sept here. I've been playing Simutrans since about 11am yesterday. I was looking at the beautiful graphics that we now have and it got me wondering about earlier versions of the game.

I may be a bit out on the dates but I seem to remember playing the game in late 1995, early 1996. I pulled the game from the now defunct Australian PC User magazine.

I remember playing PAK128, (don't remember the version) and later PAK64.

I was thinking about the then forum and who was around then. I know you were of course, also Napik (Tomas) who ran the "Home of Simutrans" website. I'm sure Prissi and Isaac were there, but I can't remember anyone else.

So I'd like to invite all the old members from that era to give us their memories of the game.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

prissi

Actually I ran first across simutrans 2001 on the c't CD (when I was in Japan). This was one of my favourite game there, although the institute there blocked the download webseite (but not the betas from the simugraph forum). I did not posted there at that time, and my attention was distracted by CivEvo, for which I also made some addon and a little later by my now wife ;)

Returned to Berlin I really started on add-ons and made the first Japanpak. Around that time there was discussion about the acceleration of vehicles, and Hajo asked me, if I would not like to program those ideas into the real code. I did so, and the result was nice. At the same time I also started a unicode translation for japanese, and started to introduce Unicode to simutrans. Well and this aparently convinced Hajo, that I was able enough to take on with SImutrans (with Hendrik and Dario at that time).

And the rest is history ...

Colin

Quote from: prissi on September 05, 2008, 10:12:32 PM
Actually I ran first across simutrans 2001 on the c't CD (when I was in Japan).

I told you my memory was fading ;D I can't remember who was around then, I can't even remember if there was dedicated forum.:-\  I'm pretty sure that Napiks web site was up and running though. I remember that I gave up playing CIV3 to play Simutrans. I haven't stopped since.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.