News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Different trains on a circular track

Started by jorrit, October 29, 2008, 06:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorrit

Hi all,

I made a huge circular (or almost) track on which four trains run around in a city. These trains connect the majority of the big cities. This works very well. However I would like the trains to travel more or less evenly on the big circle. But often one train has to wait for cars or some other problem and so two or more trains are running right behind each other. Due to that some of the trains (i.e. second and third) are not making as much profit as they could. Is there a way to force a kind of schedule or something?

Another question. In one of my train stations there are two different ways (and two different trains) for the same destination. One way is a lot longer (but covers more intermediate other stops, it is part of the big circle I mentioned above). When a passenger wants to go to that destination and the first train that happens to arrive at the station is the one with the long route to that destination will the passenger then wait for the better train or will it just jump on and suffer the longer trip?

Greetings and thanks,

gerw

To the second questions: The people will take the first train that arrives. But I think in the newer versions they will just pay the distance between entraining and exiting the train and not the driven distance.

wipi35

To the first question: use signals. When you make a block (=distance between two signals) as big as the distance between two stops, a train will wait until the preceding train has left the block.

DirrrtyDirk

@ 1st question, addition to wipi35:

And if you need bigger spacing than the distance between two stations, you can use a long-block signal (placed where you want the following trai to wait) followed by a normal signal (placed at the distance you want the trains to have).

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Combuijs

@ 1st question, addition to Dirrrty Dirk  ;):

You can also wait for 100% full load with a certain maximal amount of time (wait time). The train will either continue when it's 100% full or when that time has elapsed. Main disadvantage is that while waiting the train might block other trains going to other directions.

@ 2nd question
Passengers will indeed take the first train that has a direct connection (without transits) to their destination. On the other hand, the train will first load passengers for the next stop, then for the next stop behind that stop etc. So it still might make sense to have both the longer and the shorter route available.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs