News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

warehouse

Started by Roads, November 22, 2008, 10:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roads

I want to drop goods off at a non-consumer location and pick them up with another vehicle or another means of transportation.  Is there any building that can be used for this?  For those of you who have played the original Railroad Tycoon, you know what I'm talking about.

TommPa9

Yes of course. This buildings you can find in Special Construction Tools. (Goods Station Building and a lot of another one)

Sarrus

Goods changes vehicles like passengers. Simply station should be enough.

EDIT:
In pak128 maybe it is nessesary to build warehouse, when you using simple platform (which not accept goods without additional buildings or platforms)

Roads

Wow this board is great!  No waiting.  Many thanks!

Combuijs

QuoteIn pak128 maybe it is nessesary to build warehouse

Forget about the "maybe", it is absolutely necessary to do that...
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Roads

Well the thing is, what if I want to use a truck?  Should it not work if I plop down a loading bay at the supplier and then plop down a loading bay some distance away and then place a place a goods station building beside that?

It doesn't seem to work, the truck will move between the two but will not load.

Sarrus

Quote from: Combuijs on November 22, 2008, 10:58:38 AM
Forget about the "maybe", it is absolutely necessary to do that...
OK ;). I never tried with station with only hub function (no factory near by)

Quote from: Roads on November 22, 2008, 11:22:34 AM
Well the thing is, what if I want to use a truck?  Should it not work if I plop down a loading bay at the supplier and then plop down a loading bay some distance away and then place a place a goods station building beside that?
I don't know what do you mean exactly. You want to pick up goods from station by trucks instead of trains? Yes it will be work.

Roads

Yeah instead of a single truck taking goods from the supplier to the consumer, I want the truck to take the goods part of the way and then another truck, train or boat pick the goods up and carry the goods to the consumer.

EDIT:  The problem is that the truck just sets at the loading bay if I set it to 100% and then I eventually get the msg "can't find a route."

KrazyJay

There could be multiple reasons why a schedule doesn't work. The receiving factory should not be overloaded, try increasing capacity with warehouses etc. Otherwise, the chain isn't complete between start and finish. Check whether all used vehicles are compatible with the items you want to transport. Do the same for the factories, the receiver should be able to use or process items the factory makes. Also check whether the vehicles can litterally drive to your set destination. Otherwise, read this here Solved Bug Reports from the Old Forum. There are many questions archived like the one you asked today, big chance you may find your solution there! :D
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Roads

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out but I'm guessing what I want to do can't be done.  It appears that whenever a trip is setup there but be a route between both the supplier and consumer.  Of course I eventually want that to happen but I want it to happen in separate stages.  That is, vehicle A picks up goods at supplier A and carries the goods to place1 (not consumer), and then returns to the supplier.  Vehicle B picks up goods at supplier B and carries them to place1.  Vehicle C picks up goods at place1 and carries them to consumer A.  Vehicle D picks up goods at place1 and carries them to consumer B.

Sarrus

Try to build that network. You will see :)

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Roads on November 22, 2008, 12:06:42 PM
That is, vehicle A picks up goods at supplier A and carries the goods to place1 (not consumer), and then returns to the supplier.  Vehicle B picks up goods at supplier B and carries them to place1.  Vehicle C picks up goods at place1 and carries them to consumer A.  Vehicle D picks up goods at place1 and carries them to consumer B.

That can very well be done in simutrans. Just make sure all stations are enabled for the type of freight you want to transport (i.e. passenger, mail or goods). Also make sure that "place 1" is always built just as one (combined) stop. So even when you use trains trucks and ships, which means you need a loading bay, some platforms and a harbour, make sure they are all built right next to each other so they form one giant, continous stop (i.e. so that there is only one station name visible - if more than one appears, you did it wrong).

And in your described case, vehicle A for example, will not start transporting anything until vehicle C (or D) are set up as well (to transport the goods to the customer). Transportation in simutrans only starts when the complete path for the goods is finished.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

KrazyJay

try to build that network, if it doesn't work the way you want, post the sve file and inform me about the version and pak you use, I'll try to fix it for you. Not sure whether I'll succeed, but I could give it a look.
Played Simutrans in:

Simutrans player

Roads

All I did was this:

Built a loading bay at grain farm and then built a loading bay some distance away with a warehouse next to it.  I am just trying it with a new game.  Here is the version info:

Windows/GDI Version: 100.1-2126
pak128 Version: 242

KrazyJay

And where does the grain go from the warehouse? If you don't send the grain to a Food factory (which uses grain from that farm), then it will never transport anything. In simutrans goods are only transported when the actual transport is useful and could create an income by delivery. The amount of steps taken to get it to the factory is totally your call. I recall there is a max. step count of 7, correct me if I'm wrong...
Played Simutrans in:

Simutrans player

Roads

Yeah I kinda figured that a trip must be a complete link to work; that revenue must be possible in order for a vehicle to load.  In the particular game I have now, there is a food factory some distance away from the grain farm.  What I had in mind to do was pick up the grain and carry it to a loading bay next to the sea.  At this loading bay I have a warehouse and dock.  Next to the food factory I also have a dock and warehouse.  Both the grain farm and food factory are on the same island if that matters.  Actually I can see why it is not working.  In the detail it says that the route for the grain farm and also on the food factory is none.

Oh and I'm playing with the -timeline option.

EDIT:  I had missed reading Dirk's last post.  Let me work on this some more, I think I'm beginning to see the light. :)

Roads

I got it!  Many thanks all but have to say especially Dirk, everything in a straight line is what made it work.  I had to curve the road in for the loading bay so the warehouse could be built front of it.

My kid says I don't like anything unless it is hard and complicated.  He's right.  Anything you don't have to think about is just production work.

DirrrtyDirk

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by straight line and curve (shouldn't really matter), but you got it working and that's all that counts for now.

Usually it is a bit easier if you just put up a screenshot for us to view, so we can see and show you more easily what's wrong and how to correct it (or in some cases maybe even a savegame, so someone can have a more thorough look and perhaps build a working example for you) - so next time, try to make use of that, and the case can probably be solved even quicker.  ;)

Roads

Will do Dirk.  I made a screenshot and converted it to jpg but it is still too large.  If I ever get it small enough to post, it will show what I mean by curving the road in so that the loading bay is adjacent to the dock as opposed to the warehouse being adjacent to it.

DirrrtyDirk

Roads

Aw Dirk, the only person I know who reads German is my youngest kid and he won't be home until Christmas.  I did manage to figure out the site is asking for a username and password but am hesitant to try and set that up since this is the first time I've ever even tried to make out the meaning of a German word.

KrazyJay

Try this one: link. I know it's hard to see, but there are some small flags on the top of the page where you can pick your language. It took me some time to notice them, too... hehe.
Played Simutrans in:

Simutrans player

DirrrtyDirk

Actually files.simutrans-germany.com is supposed to be multi-language (as can be seen with the different flags on top) - so you should maybe not give up that quickly but look around for details a little more instead.  ;)

Roads

Well if you didn't know before, now you do.  You have to hit me over the head with something or I don't notice it.  Note to self:  Old dog learn new tricks. :)

I'll check it out again.

EDIT: New wrinkle, how do you register to get a username for the site?

KrazyJay

You could use your Simutrans forum login code for convenience reasons, just enter those details on the main page on the top.
Played Simutrans in:

Simutrans player

Roads

Got it over there, thanks Jay.  Unfortunately I forgot to give it a new filename so it is just simscr01.jpg

The date of upload is Nov. 24, 2008, 12:05

KrazyJay

It would be most convenient if you link to the specific file or display it as an image. Your screenshot can be found here btw http://www.simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/simscr01.jpg :).
Played Simutrans in:

Simutrans player

DirrrtyDirk

BTW it is nor even necessary to login there. (IIRC there is no registering at all - you could enter a new set of logins for every file - although that wouldn't make much sense. If you don't login (and post your files anonymously) there's just a couple of options you don't have (no free choice of how long the files stays there, you cannot manually delete it yourself, etc.)

Now about the combined stop - I suppose it's the harbour on the right of that screenshot, correct?

If so, the warehouse isn't needed at all there. As long as the harbour and the loading bay are built so that they touch each other (on one side or even just a corner), they should form a single station, which can be used for transfers. So you could have just put the loading bay on the tile where the curve is now, with no warehouse at all, and it should work exactly the same.

The truck loading bay enables goods, and the harbour enables passengers to be transported to/from this complex. You see, all the warehouse does is a) enable goods (which the loading bay already does, so that feature is not neeeded) and b) increase the stations capacity (which, in a pure transfer stop like this, isn't necessary either, because capacity isn't checked for - and so plays no role - on transfers).

So as you can see, the warehouse has no effect, whatsoever (in this particular setup - not generally!) but you still have pay for its maintenance each and every month. So my recommendation: get rid of it a.s.a.p.  ;)

Roads

Dirk, you da man!  That is, the man with the plan.  :)

Yes, that is or was the harbor.  That game went down in flames with several others as I'm in the learning process and not really concerned with finishing a game at the point.

About getting rid of the warehouse - from now on I'll play around with stuff even when it is working just to see if everything I've plopped down is necessary.