News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Annoying route: (un)wanted behavior?

Started by Zeno, June 02, 2013, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I have noticed that some of my trains take one time and another the slowest possible route in some crossings, where curve angle could be higher by selecting a different path. Example can be seen at the picture attached, where the first train always takes the 'red' slow route (30 km/h) while the 'green' one would be far quicker (58 km/h). This happens with RC-11.90001; can't test with RC-11.9006 because I got an exception if I try to load my savegame. I can try to reproduce this in a new game if needed.

Usually I design better and more spacious routes/railways most of the time for station loops (to avoid ugly and slow reversing thing), but in this specific case there's a matter of space, cuz it's at the docks, very near to the downtown and it's difficult to find any place there without bulldozing half of the city :(

jamespetts

Hmm - I haven't really altered the routing system from Standard - it may well be that it fails to account for the fact that diagonal is better, because, in terms of simply counting numbers of tiles, both routes are equal. As an interim measure, you could just use a waypoint on the diagonal tile.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

The problem is, that the train is directly in front of the turning tile. As such there is no penalty possible to calculate in the routing, since for simutrans it is either a diagonal start. Thus for the first tile, if it is not the same direction as the engine, and 90 degree curve malus is added. Thus routing would be similar when the train would start one tile in the back.

Zeno

Thank you for your efforts but I'm sorry I don't understand very well your explanation, prissi...
Does that mean that I should add at least one straight tile before the "curve" in order to allow the train to calculate the "best" route?

PS: Ten minutes later, same game, a train entering that same station, see attached pic... that train driver will be fired right away!!!

isidoro

Can the driver be possibly, let's say, drunk?

prissi

Do you play around with your settings for the route searching weights?

Vonjo

Quote from: Zeno on June 02, 2013, 08:42:02 PM
PS: Ten minutes later, same game, a train entering that same station, see attached pic... that train driver will be fired right away!!!
Quote from: isidoro on June 02, 2013, 10:04:07 PM
No, train drivers only follow path provided to them. They can't turn the train left or right. ;)

Zeno

Quote from: prissi on June 02, 2013, 10:14:56 PM
Do you play around with your settings for the route searching weights?
I use default settings for almost everything... I can check them out when I'm back at home this afternoon and let you know, but I guess they will be the default ones.

Quote from: isidoro on June 02, 2013, 10:04:07 PM
That's not possible: alcoholic drinks won't be ever coded in Simutrans (there are kids playing)! But at least he's an extravagant driver! 8)

jamespetts

Quote from: Zeno on June 03, 2013, 09:58:04 AM
That's not possible: alcoholic drinks won't be ever coded in Simutrans (there are kids playing)! But at least he's an extravagant driver! 8)

Hmm - not so: Pak128.Britain has beer and cider!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Carl

I've noticed this on rare occasions. It usually only happens when arriving or (more often) leaving at a station with a "lattice" junction like the one on the above screenshot.

Fifty

I think this is a standard problem, as I've see it occur in unmodified standard. Is there a choose signal before the station? The only place I've noticed this problem occurring other than in the situation prissi noted is when choose signals were involved. Maybe there's an error in logic there? Removing unnecessary interlockings helps, but sometimes it is unavoidable and very annoying.

Quote from: Zeno on June 03, 2013, 09:58:04 AM
I use default settings for almost everything... I can check them out when I'm back at home this afternoon and let you know, but I guess they will be the default ones.

I think there's beer in most paksets... But anyway, it is clearly the dispatcher or switch man who is mildly inebriated :)
Why do we park on the driveway and drive on the parkway?

jamespetts

I am moving this to the Standard forum, as we have two independent confirmations that this occurs in Standard. I shall leave it as a matter for the Standard developers/moderators whether this remains to be considered a bug or should be transferred to the extension request section.