News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

A station building... my first attempt

Started by KneeOn, October 10, 2009, 07:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KneeOn

Right now this is just a graphic, i'll pak it up tonight/tomorrow

Compleatly made up, and very loosely done though, so any improvs/pointers will b greatly appreciated.

KneeOn

Thanks. The name in the sign is Hove... although this isn't the hove station building... i'm planning on adding maybe something to break the uniformity on the roof and to make the window a little less... plasticky.

VS

You might want to check:
a) what is the standard height of one floor for pak96.comic - to me it seems a bit low
b) if it wouldn't be better to raise the whole building a bit so that its floor is level with platform floor

It's not that is would be bad as is. These are merely suggestions on how to further improve it - and by no means may they actually help.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

KneeOn

I havn't packed it up yet (i really oughta) so can't check it in context to the rest of the pak

I thought i read somwhere that the floor size for pak 96 was 13 pixles and door height was 10 but having seen some screenies it does look a bit too low. I'll recheck...  ???

And duh!!! Obviously it should have been raised!! Thanks for pointing out this mistake, and for saving the necks of many simutransians who'll have to clamber through a smaller gap than is allowed!  ;)

I'll have a look in to those improvements :) Thanks!

EDIT: I've tried now 4/5 times to pack it up and it just won't do :( So... if some one likes it, feel free to give it a pak file of its own ;) all i ask is for kudos and the credits to the graphics. same with any edits, edit all you wish, so long as original credits are given where due (to me!). if some one does make a pak of this, could they email/put it on this thread? Of course this is all hypothetical, and until makeobj turns out my pak bigger than 69 bytes! (its more than likely to be my dat file though...)

Aside from scale, are their any other graphical (colors, shading ect) errors/improvements needed?

DirrrtyDirk

Post your dat file and I'm sure someone will find the problem so that you'll be able to pak it yourself.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

VS

Well - I haven't actually painted anything for this pakset, so I can't really talk about standards...

As to the shading - I prefer to have roof the lightest part, since the lighting angle is more than 45° so roof gets the light "more directly". (If you're not averse to math, the amount of light depends on cosine between surface normal and light's vector - you'll run into this in physics almost everywehere) For sun 60° above horizon it's 87% for flat roof and 50% for the southern wall. However in case of houses this rule has a big catch - where does one say the roof is made of the same material as walls? There is absolutely no reason why colours should match and thus be comparable on these parts. So I would hesitate to say it doesn't feel right to me - I know my brain is fooling me ;)

Height problems might actually come in a somewhat similar way - if the building truly is low and wide, it will end up looking flat no matter what...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

KneeOn

I did try to consider shading (thus my walls and roof being differing colors. I'll revise the east wall and the roof color, or maybe make a new roof color... I (albit foolishly) spent the evening drawing this instead of actually playing the pak, so i'm not to sure, i went on a load of screenies and a template for a block offlats, chopped to one floor. I'll resume work tomorrow or monday, thanks for the help, and any other suggestions are welcomed with open arms! (i am adverse to maths, but know roughly that light shining at an angle of below 45 degrees will cause the east wall to be the lightest part and anything over 45 will cause the roof to the the brightest!)

sojo

Hi KneeOn
for small buildings is that the right standard. A floor 13 px and a door 10-11px. Biger buildings need a bit smaller floors. F.e. buildings with 10 floors and more.

Your windows don't have the right color. They need to be darker. If it is possible make a small commercial building. We need some small commercial buildings for desert and tropic.

For what is this big window in the roof?

If you want that the building enter the pakset, I need the permisson the make some little changes. The copyright is of course yours!
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

KneeOn

My permission? :o wow. Sure, i'm totally not fussed. A little credit would be nice :) But i put it on the webz for you guys to test/comment/do whatever with. the window was just to break up the uniformity of the roof. Ill change it if needed.

EDIT: I did some modifications- darker windows, deleted the top roof window, replaced with a ventaltor (for the air con ;) ) and some paint has peeled, since the owner of the shop (see the sign!) brought the grey building and disliked it so he painted it brown using cheap paint. :D Will address the shading. Can you tell me if ijust my roof needs lightening or if there is general shading madness? Thanks:)

sojo

The color from the roof is ok. What is this grey part at roof in background?

Don't use readable words. Simutrans will be played in many languages. An exception are names from persons, who have earned it. Like advertising for KneeOn.  ;D

The black line in front between the walls is not necessary.

Good work. Go on.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: sojo on October 12, 2009, 12:26:37 PM
The color from the roof is ok. What is this grey part at roof in background?

He explained that already: the building was originally grey but was repainted by the new owner with some cheap color - and it just peeled off there.  ;)

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

sojo

Ahhhh. Sorry. I don't know that he meant that. Somehow it does not look good. How would it paint A. Brose? Without black lines?

Alex. Brose

I've never seen a colored roof. Why not a grey roof or something else?  :)
But well - it's a comic set. I think that KneeOn made a good job. The black lines aren't needed though.

Actually i haven't a better idea. Maybe my simple editing below can inspire.  ;D

KneeOn

I see, i tried to use the black lines to much... the ones without black lines works much better IMO. The black line that wasn't necessary, was from the template for a block of flats, that i cut down to size and used to make this. I'll change the sign to read Knee ;) And possibly fix the roof to be a dark grey (as per the grey used on the original peeled paint? See how that would look. Thanks for the help and suggestions :D

Here i have corrected teh wall and removed the black out line on the peeled paint

Here i have corrrected as above and nothing is on the roof

And finally here i've corrected as above and some one has thrown the rubbish up on the roof :O

sojo

Quote from: Alex. Brose on October 12, 2009, 01:09:14 PM
I've never seen a colored roof.
This is the story, from the painter at the roof. :D He is known everywhere in town. He paints every day. Day and night.   
But the color will not hold.

I think the first is the best. Not the nicest. But with the best story (description).

KneeOn

If you like the base building its up to you what one you use or what one you want to modifiy and use. :)

As a side note, Alex. Brose complimenting my pak96.c graphic is quite pleasing, seeing as how your graphics factory was pretty slick and amazing and every positive used on that thread...

Back on topic, i'll continue drawing on this one till you think its good enough and i feel its good enough... i'm thinking of getting rid of thebrown on the roof, and having it all grey...

Just to add confusion to the tale, i've another station building that this time, LOOKS like a station building ;) I'm quite pleased with it, its got bins on the side (look familier?) signs (unreadable) and a ticket machine! As per previous, comments, suggestions/improvements are more than welcome :D Thanks

sojo

You need a more interessting roof.
A station needs a platform, most time.
You need 4 directions for a station building, and 4 directions with snow.

KneeOn

Right then, but its a station extention not a platform... It is just a rough draft right now, but the roof is a bit bland i know. I'm going to look at making it dark brown and slated, instead of just flat and gray. But it look alright on the whole?  Its not blaringly bad?