News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Rules for drawing for pak96.comic

Started by sojo, August 05, 2008, 06:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sojo

pak96.comic has very similar rules to pak192.comic, so if your object fits one of the paksets it fits both.

Leartin has made an excellent pixelling tutorial aimed for the comic style, and I highly recommend you to follow it for pak96.comic as well. The only difference is that in pak96.comic you have less texturing or a more subtle texturing. As a tip check mostly Alexander Brose's graphics in pak96.comic, they are more easily found and he does an excellent job with texturing.

pak.96comic Graphics Style Guide

1 - All objects images need an outer black border line. (Eg.: House Walls, Roofs, Trash Cans, Vehicles, Factory Chimneys, etc.)

2 - Objects have a dark and light side, and it's not separated by a black line. It's just the colour a little darker. Eg.: A building will have the walls facing south lighter than the walls facing west.

3 - Use intense colours to create the objects, don't create a colourful objects, but don't make it dark. - Bright colours are more desirable. Gray and black should only be used in exceptional cases. Just know where and when it is appropriate.

4 - Snow is generally white or a very very light grey. - Snow would cover unheated and well-insulated roofs, parked vehicles and any object it can snow. - For lights, fences or something like, snow cover is only 1 pixel high. No black border on snow.

5 - Doors, windows and gates don't have black borders. You definitely need to add shades on the walls. - Windows should, if possible, be designed in multiple colours, so they look more realistic. Some of the windows should be lighted.

6 - Players don't need vehicles with player colour. However, these colours are desirable. Vehicles should have front and rear lighting. In general, however, no interior lights.

7 - Sidewalk colour is # b0b0b0 - City Street colour is # 7d7d7d - Highway colour is # 9c9c9c

8 - Building Type: com, ind, res and mon (Monument) have 1x1 tiles in size. - Industries and attractions may be bigger.

9 - It's good give some Informations or data about the objects. Eg.: vehicle power, launch year, capacity, etc. This info can be changed by the pak maintainers.

10 - It's interesting create a description text for the same building types above. For 96comic try to be more fun. Those texts can be changed by the pak maintainers.

Extra rules (clarifications and extras)
1. There must have a black line between basement and building.
1b. Rule 1 does not apply when you higher or lower the basement. (See SmallSoccerStadium and LaunchSite)
2. Stairs must have a black line.
3. Small objects may have a black line around for contrast.
4. Black line between wall and ground is optional in other areas, choose what looks better.
5. Generally black line between wall and ground in other areas disappear on snow.

Buildings

Buildings
Buildings must have some spacing from the tile borders. You may have none if the building style must have none. Most of the time a little grass and trees around a tall office building are preferable to plain grey ground.

General rules
- One floor is 13 pixels high.
- Doors are around 10 pixel high.
- Windows are around 6 x 4 pixels (may differ strongly according to the type of building you are drawing)
- Generally no textures. Very subtle textures where it would look too plain. Roofs generally are textured.
- Friendly colours. Avoid greys, browns & creams (vanilla, yellow-brown-white).

Vehicles

Graphics
- Create strong contrasts to maintain the comic-look.
- Do this by adding black lines, something around a one pixel-width.
- The outline of a vehicle should always be drawn with a black line.
- Edges look easily overdrawn.

Sizes
- The longest vehicle should be:
(Listed for each direction you normally need to draw)
    - NORTH/SOUTH 42 x 32px
    - EAST/WEST 42 x 32px
    - NORTH-WEST/SOUTH-EAST 13 x 42px
    - NORTH-EAST/SOUTH-WEST 60 x 20px
- Try to add you vehicle to a screenshot of its later surrounding (eg. rails, roads, canals) and look if it fits (style, size etc.)

Icons & Cursors

Read the dedicated thread which explains all the details about the UI.

Tips
1 - The cursor tile is 6px higher than the base tile, when centring take this in account for perfect aligning it.

I will always aim to continue and change this posting.

Last Update: 16.01.2015
(updated by Noel) (updated by An_dz)
~An_dz: I took this from the German Forum, it's a great info and I think it's missing here:
All credits go to sojo~An_dz
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Tomas

Noel

Well, basically the same rules apply as in other paks.
Specific rules for pak96.comic:

The following info is merged into the first post, if there are any differences the first post is what is valid
Graphics
- Create strong contrasts to maintain the comic-look.
- Do this by adding black lines, something around a one pixel-width.
- The outline of a vehicle should always be drawn with a black line.
- Edges look easily overdrawn. Maybe you want to orientate yourself on this example:

Sizes
- The longest vehicle should be:
(Listed for each direction you normally need to draw)
    - NORTH/SOUTH 42 x 32px
    - EAST/WEST 42 x 32px
    - NORTH-WEST/SOUTH-EAST 13 x 42px
    - NORTH-EAST/SOUTH-WEST 60 x 20px
- Try to add you vehicle to a screenshot of its later surrounding (eg. rails, roads, canals) and look if it fits (style, size etc.)

More details are coming later and/or are subject of internal discussion ; )

Best regards,
Noel
~ Noels Bitmapfactory ~ :: Developer pak96.comic

KneeOn

What about station buildings? Do they follow the same scale as city buildings?

An_dz

I took this from the German Forum, it's a great info and I think it's missing here:
All credits go for sojo

**This info was merged in the first post**

An_dz

I have reviewed most of the buildings and found I made some things wrong. Here's a list of things I found out:

**Info merged into first post**

I'll be updating the files in the repo to follow this.

Václav

So, when black line between basement and building is needed?

Because originally you said it there should not be - and now you say it has to be there. So, I am a bit confused.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

An_dz

That's why I said I made some things wrong. These rules are what I found to be the right styling.

Václav

So, tell me where I should change black lines to they would be right - if somewhere they are wrong.

vzrenggamani

ouh wew..
mah i have some source of pak96.comic PNGs and DATs file ? my friend want to crate some addons but he cant create it from scratch...

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

An_dz

Václav

Quote from: vzrenggamani on January 28, 2016, 11:48:51 AM
ouh wew..
mah i have some source of pak96.comic PNGs and DATs file ? my friend want to crate some addons but he cant create it from scratch...
Hands to spare for creation of graphics for this pakset are greeted. I only don't see why your friend don't ask us by himself.

vzrenggamani

Quote from: An_dz on January 28, 2016, 04:35:55 PM
Check our SVN and our templates.

Thank you very much..

Quote from: Václav on January 28, 2016, 07:42:49 PM
I only don't see why your friend don't ask us by himself.

He dont have an Forum account and he cans speak english well, so i have to asking for him

SIMUTRANS INDONESIA WEBSITE  <<< Indonesia Simutrans Addons Center And Web
HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH

Václav

Quote from: vzrenggamani on January 29, 2016, 04:57:32 AM
He dont have an Forum account and he cans speak english well, so i have to asking for him
To have account on this forum is not problem. And that he does not speak/write English so good like you is not problem too. Translators (even if there is question of quality of translation in case of some of them) will help too.

It is not shame to write question in native language - and copy English translation below or above original text.