News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Brainstorming - ideas for future SMSC editions

Started by vilvoh, October 28, 2010, 09:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

Don't panic! we're not running out of new ideas for the SMSC! the point is that sometimes we don't have enough time to think about new topics, thus I thought it would be better to have some ideas in the fridge, in case we need them. On the other hand, we give the community the chance to choose the topics they like most.

some guidelines:

• try to be as less pakset specific as you can. Try to think on ideas that can be achieved with as many paksets as possible. For example, helicopters are only available at pak64 as addons so that's not a good topic.
  • the topic can be thematic like desert, jungle, summer, rivers, snow, etc...
  • or an action: underground networks, player vehicles, ships and bridges, overpass, trains unloading at stock yards, etc...

A list of past SMSC topics so you can bring some different ones:

• Midnight Tunnel
  • Tram
  • Farming Landscapes
  • Great Harbors
  • Historical & Modern Building
  • Tale of two cities
  • Beautiful stations
  • Parks and Scyscrapers
  • Civil Engineering
  • Small cities
  • Heavy Industries
  • Central rail stations
  • From bridge to bridge at countryside
  • Small villages and tourist attractions
  • Highway infrastructures
  • City Airports
  • Downtown
  • Underground passengers & mail stations
  • landscape and player-vehicles
  • Snow at railway crossings
  • Parks and Recreation in the city
  • City tunnels
  • Large rail convoys
  • Scenic Bridges
  • Day and Night
  • Disastrous traffic jams
  • Forests, lakes and a road
  • Islands
  • Stock yards
  • Bus stations and hubs
  • River and Channels

We're looking forward to read your ideas and suggestions!!  8)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Francisco

Some ideas:

Big bridges between mountains (or Transport solutions for rough terrain :) )

The central rail station in the main city

The transport network reaches the Far-away Town

Train stations connected to harbours, and something related to forests :) How a forest can be a good Simutrans screenshot? ;D

ӔO

Funiculars and stations you can place on slopes.
Funiculars are missing entirely. One is like a tram, the other is like a ski lift.

Blimps or dirigibles.

aquatic attractions, like: coral reefs, blue holes, capsized ships, grounded ships.

large equipment factories, like: airplane assembly plant, shipyard, construction and excavation machinery assembly plants.
They would consume goods like an auto factory, but not actually give you anything you can transport. At least, not unless there was another good added.

Oversized goods and specialized vehicles to carry them. things like small ships, airplane wings and fuselage, electricity transformers, gas tanks, cranes, or heavy construction equipment.
specialized vehicles can be like: schnabel car for rail and road or airbus beluga.

motorbikes and scooters. low capacity and low maintenance, but not unusual to see them used for deliveries or as a taxi when sidecar is added.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Lmallet

Efficient interchanges (simple/efficient ways of joining busy lines)

Scenic bridges

An_dz

* Forests, Lakes and a road. - Max of 2 buildings appearing.
* Small Villages and their attractions
* Beaches
* High Traffic

jap train fan

differnent underground levels
building tunnels without a tunnel entrance (saves money)
high speed trains that are cheap and can go as fast as planes (tracks for the trains also)
better station buildings
amtitious but rubbish ideas but i will like them to be implanted

Qayyum

I've only one idea...

the most disastrous traffic jam
ALLMYCONTENTISPUBLICDOMAINBUTNOEXPLOITATION

Simutrans - the open source Transport Tycoon Deluxe clone.

vilvoh

I think some people have misunderstood the goal of this thread. This topic is about things you can actually do with Simutrans, not about things you would like to see in Simutrans... contine suggesting new ideas!

Spike

Make a transport network that actually works and displays the letters "HELLO WORLD" on the mini map ;)

Not quite serious. But maybe we could once make a competition about silly things as well.

Like transport nets that shape animals, or well, any sort of object.

VS

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jap train fan

sorry but then we could have like lots of cities covering the whole map to make like suburbs in a city
eg: sydney (city) and hurstville(suburb in sydney)

Zeno

What about colorful vehicles?
Sorry, I had a boring morning! :P

Václav

Place in different times
- day and night
- history and present time (growing of cities)

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on December 06, 2010, 05:07:04 PM
Place in different times
- day and night
- history and present time (growing of cities)

It seems it'd require tiles screenshots, one tile per period. But, still interesting.

Quote from: Lmallet on October 29, 2010, 10:05:05 PM
Scenic bridges

Yay!

What if, at last, a coder adopts the idea of making bridges with multiple tiles for their pilars (see pics below)? I had suggested it when I had joined the community some eras ago: http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/01323.0/index.html

vilvoh

We need more ideas for future editions, so I encourage you to propose anything you have in mind.

ojii

- Megametropolis (because I love to play them)
- Subwaysystem

Fabio

- Competition (vehicles of two or more different companies in the same screenshot, it could favour pics from network games, or AI)

- Evolution (two pics of the same place at a distance of at least 20 game years)

diegoviagens

Simutrans - Orgulho de desenvolvimento no Brasil.

visit my site:www.andersongama.webs.com

alexbaettig

Maybe Tramsystems or Monorailsystems. Has the topic tunnels been mentioned by someone yet? There one could think of different things like inner city tunnels or undersea tunnels...

greenling

I have a idea !
Couple and uncople form train,roadvehicle and trams without Depot.
That enable it to make Trains with different Start and endplace.

greenling
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

transporter

Fast and Furious (only high speed >150kph vehicles)
Slow and steady wins the race (vehicles <70kph)
Bigger is better (large capacity lines/trains)
Meet the deadline (longest lines)
Delusions of Grandeur (screenshot of map that has been modified by user. i.e. cities all in line, modified terrain)

Václav

Quote from: transporter on April 02, 2011, 09:30:40 PM
Fast and Furious (only high speed >150kph vehicles)
Slow and steady wins the race (vehicles <70kph)
Very interesting but hard to say vehicles' true speed when there are so much add-ons in game.

Bigger is better (large capacity lines/trains)
Meet the deadline (longest lines)
I am not sure if these are almost the same - like it seems to me  ::( or am I wrong in understanding of Meet the deadline (longest lines)?

Delusions of Grandeur (screenshot of map that has been modified by user. i.e. cities all in line, modified terrain)
Comparison of two cities between each other - it may be realised quite easily but I am not sure if current max size of picture (800*600) would be sufficient. Also one city in different ages may be compared - but this is already called some posts ago (by me).

transporter

Meet the Deadline is line length, not convoy/train. From factory to factory

Václav

Aha ... so I am not sure if this would be interesting - because then it does not show much (only line on minimap). I think that SMSC would be much interesting if there will be depicted vehicles and/or buildings - at all times.

So length of trains will be better - but special form of this is used in current (May of 2011) round.

transporter

I'm just glad my idea (is some form) was used :)

colonyan

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: colonyan on May 17, 2011, 11:35:08 PM
Excuse me but what does SMSC stand for?

Simutrans Monthly Screenshot Contest

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Václav

Idea for future SMSC rounds - optical illusions. Some things are (or: may be) else than they seem be.

vilvoh

Interesting, Vaclav but could you show an example? in-game example, if possible... :)

Václav

Yes. I counted with need of example. So here it is:

Green (grass) tramway track (by Gwalch, SNFOS) seems be shaped else than is. It begins in the front of tramway/trolleybus station and ends behind crossing placed on elevated road. There it seems be straight (in diagonal tiles) but it is not straight.

... but I think that somewhere may be found better illusions.

transporter

Quote from: luluxiu on July 19, 2011, 12:28:35 AM
Not too serious. But perhaps we can once about silly things, and competition. Such as transportation network, the shape of animals, or any object.

Yeah! And you could either zoom far out or use the map for pictures

IgorEliezer

transporter, the user you quoted is spambot (and caught). ;)

transporter

I had a feeling something wasn't right...but I still think it's a good idea lol

Václav

I hope that SMSC will be brought to the life after summer - because I am a little confused that June round was cancelled  ??? - and it seems that July round was cancelled too  ::'(.

But I would like to give following suggestion: that addons present at least on screenshot would have to be published - or at least there should be written where those objects can be downloaded - if someone is not part of main package.