News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Refund for Bulldozing Ways Exceeds Construction Cost

Started by cellofello, October 02, 2017, 01:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cellofello

New to the forums; apologies if this isn't in the right place.

While attempting to adjust forge cost settings (see forum thread here: https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=17420.0), I placed 8 tiles of unsurfaced road and immediately bulldozed them. I then had more money than when I'd started.

This seems like a bug that results in a free money exploit.

Running Simutrans 120.2.1 Extended nightly development build 12.2 r3a19b5f
This may be a few days behind the current version; it is a bit difficult for me at the moment to upgrade to the latest build to test whether the results are the same.

jamespetts

I am afraid that I cannot reproduce this. Starting a new game in 1750, I placed 8 tiles of unsurfaced road, making sure that none of the tiles had trees or anything else on them. I then deleted all 8 tiles with the "remove roads" tool. The total amount in the player's account balance was 249,920.00c against a starting balance of 250,000.00c.

Can you set out more precisely the steps necessary to reproduce this issue?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

cellofello

Interestingly, this appears to be two separate but related problems. Or perhaps it is one problem with two slightly different results.

I downloaded the latest Nightly to confirm that the problem persists. I generated a new map and built eight tiles of Unsurfaced Road outside of a city, taking care to choose a location with no trees.

When destroying the road with the Remove Roads tool, I was refunded $20 more than when I'd started. When destroying the road with the general Destroy/remove tool, I was refunded $10 more than when I'd started.

Quite simply, there are no additional steps. I started a new game in 1750, built a road, and demolished it. Then I did the same with the other tool. I'm at a loss.

Thank you for your help and continued interest.

jamespetts

I think that the step that you were missing was setting the forge cost to zero, as this symptom can only be reproduced when this is done.

In any event, I think that I have now fixed this problem, which was caused by an incorrect computation of the cost of building ways in the first place, and a further error in the computation of the costs of using the remove roads tool. The fixes should appear in the next nightly build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.