News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Cars this slow should not be illegal!

Started by DrSuperGood, January 09, 2018, 06:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Just captured this image on the server. So hard to set up a reliable and efficient transport network when some inconsiderate person decides to drive their car over 60 km at 8 km/h. The jam got even longer, it was 7 convoys long before my client crashed due to out of memory. Not only does this greatly increase journey time, but it also makes regular services near impossible.

All the coaches are capable of 12 km/h and accelerate to it rapidly. They will even try to overtake each other to no avail, as the one infront cannot overtake the public car which is causing the jam in the first place. This is a big problem currently as both land mail and freight often run at the slower speeds of 6-8 km/h like that city car so cause such problems over long distances of road.

jamespetts

The speed is realistic, but the lack of overtaking is not. The overtaking algorithm is, I think, unchanged from Standard, so it may well be necessary to look into that, but, if I were to rework it, it would take me a lot of time.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Jando

Yes, I'm seeing the same. The moment there are 2 player-convoys stuck behind a public cart travelling at 8 km/h all schedules go out of the window. The player convoys will overtake each other but not the public cart. Same when the speed difference is too low (player cart at 11 km/h, public cart at 8 km/h: no overtaking)

I've started to reduce traffic density to lower numbers in early years to make it happen less frequently.

DrSuperGood

Until the overtaking is fixed I would suggest raising their speed to be at least 12km/h or more. Even if not realistic it is to prevent them taking up the whole road and making scheduling impossible.

jamespetts

The trouble is that, if I set an unrealistic temporary value, I am very likely to forget to correct it to its proper value once the overtaking issue has been fixed.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.